SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
Where can I get this gimbal?
Rusty at AGL Hobbies will be making some kits soon. Right now you will have to build one yourself.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
971 Posts
Road trip to see Rusty soon.... I hope
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Rusty made me work. He was questioning the effectiveness of Sorbothane so I had to do some tests to show myself that it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ljEL-TdWYQ
Isn't that more of a shock isolation test rather than vibration test? Pretty clear results though.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Isn't that more of a shock isolation test rather than vibration test? Pretty clear results though.
Yes, quite likely it's not really a valid test for the way we use the material.

Back when I was playing with the first CM floating plate, I mounted the plate on the arm of my test stand, and measured the vibration with an accelerometer while running a not particularly well balance motor on the arm. I tried several materials, and the EAR standoffs were hard to beat.

Adding the mass of the battery to the camera was really what helped the most. The current gimbal adds enough mass that we don't really need the battery I don't think, though I haven't done any testing on that.

One thing I really miss these days is having time for these sorts of science experiments. I'd love to equip a copter with an accelerometer on the camera tray, and a way to log the vibration during hover flight. That would would be the way to really know how well all these various materials work. Sad to say, but I can't imagine ever having that time again, until maybe after I retire.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
FWIW, I think I have the parts finalized, though I've yet to cut a final set. I need to start working on the puzzle of how to best fit all the little parts on the G10 sheet.

I also have a parts list tentatively made, and I was surprised at the amount of hardware. For example, there are 58 nuts!!! The next step is to cut a set of parts, then try to build one with all the hardware on my list. I'll take pictures as I go, then correct all the mistakes I made on the original parts list

I'm thinking of 3 options:

- One would be just the G10 and Delrin parts I cut. That would be the most DIY version, and the option I could sell the soonest. I could perhaps have these for sale as early as next Monday.

- Two would be a kit with everything but the servos. There probably will not be an option for different pulley ratios right away. This kit would still be somewhat DIY, since the builder would have to cut the aluminum tubing, shafts, and maybe the pot shaft. Since this requires stocking all the hardware, it won't happen for a couple weeks probably.

- Three would be a complete, ready to fly gimbal with or without servos. These would be custom ordered, and built as my time and your money permits

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Well got home after dark again so no flight outside. Hopefully this will be the last "test" flight before doing some real flying (at least, the last indoor one)! I adjusted my roll axis belt to be a little tighter trying not to make it too tight, and added a bolt through the vertical post for a little added safety. Fired up the copter and just finished a flight inside, from what I can tell roll looks much better now. It looks like there is still a little bit of roll lean when I pushed the controls a bit but it didn't look like too much. It could also be because I wasn't perfectly square to the wall, though even with that I think there is still some lean happening. I also didn't notice much vibration, but it could be hidden a bit due to the low light.

gimbal 25oct12 (1 min 49 sec)
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, NC, Tryon
Joined Sep 2005
211 Posts
Whenever they're ready you can count me in for an option 1 or 2...
soarsimon is offline Find More Posts by soarsimon
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
I also didn't notice much vibration, but it could be hidden a bit due to the low light.
Yeah the low light may be hiding some vibrations but I think you are there. I am still messing with different servos. I just changed the tilt to a Hobby King Brushless. It works pretty good but I have to tune the gimbal control.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Rusty, I would like 1 or 2 as well. I personally would benefit from at least a parts list or supplier info for the shafts, bearings, and pulleys.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2009
64 Posts
Following this great thread from the begining.
It can surely be an upgrade to my X468HD.
Please let me know when you are ready, and what is the cost for Option A & Option B.
Mix57 is offline Find More Posts by Mix57
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
Get your barf bags ready!

Finally, I was able to get some daytime video shot outside! As you can see from the trees it is quite breezy out, my copter was getting pushed all over and some of the yaw slop is from the wind. I can definitely see some vibes though it doesn't look too bad and I'm sure some of it is from the wind bouncing everything around. I do have some new vibration dampers (sorbothane hemispheres) on order that should arrive end of next week.

The first video is with the same settings as my last indoor flight test, in the 2nd video I adjusted the roll and pitch settings a little. The pitch axis still looks good but I think I went the wrong way with my roll adjustment, I am going to charge up my batteries, get the roll settings adjusted the right way, and do some more flights later today...assuming it doesn't keep getting windier!

Disappointingly I had shot a 3rd video but the camera had a card write error, so nothing was actually recorded. And I wish it had been as I'm very curious as to how close I actually came to hitting the building...

gimbal 27oct12 01 (5 min 10 sec)

Gimbal 27oct12 02 (0 min 0 sec)
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
971 Posts
Hey Rusty:

I think I may need a new gimbal
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Wow, my pocketbook is crying and it is not even my copter!!!
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC View Post
Hey Rusty:

I think I may need a new gimbal
RIP (Rest In Pieces)

Rusty