HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Oct 2010
22 Posts
Good Job!! where did you buy the pulley, and what is the value of the Pot?5K 10 turns?
Carlmag is offline Find More Posts by Carlmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
This is just so cool Maybe I should just put a dozen of every part I make in a box, and call it the AGL erector set

Rest assured that Hansen has already infected my brain with this idea, so I'll be looking into it myself. I've got some ideas that might work out better, so I'll investigate those options before committing to any gimbal kit. Ordering materials almost as I type...

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
105 Posts
Fantastic job!!!!
tsbanking is offline Find More Posts by tsbanking
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Man, this when I wish I was still in school and had access to machine shop equipment. Very well done! Would you consider selling the parts that required lathing? I think I could handle the rest.

I like it because it's seems to be a cross between a Cinestar and Andrey's gimbal - both quality options.

What servos are you using? And what pots are those? Gear reduction ratio?

Think that covers my questions..
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlmag View Post
Good Job!! where did you buy the pulley, and what is the value of the Pot?5K 10 turns?
Pulleys from Stock Drive Products:

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

Lynxmotion:

http://www.lynxmotion.com/c-75-accessories.aspx

Potentiometer from:

Askman or Mouser Electronics:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...II4b0wYafEc%3d
http://www.askmanproducts.com/

Value of the pot is 5K.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:50 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>Man, this when I wish I was still in school and had access to machine shop equipment. Very well done! Would you consider selling the parts that required lathing? I think I could handle the rest. <<

I am trying to convince Rusty to make the parts requiring the lathe. If some one wants to make one before there is any parts available I can do the lathe parts.

>>I like it because it's seems to be a cross between a Cinestar and Andrey's gimbal - both quality options.<<

Exactly.

>>What servos are you using? And what pots are those?<<

I am ordering a few different servos from Servo City. They do modified Hitec servo by converting it to continuous rotation and leave the pot hanging on the outside of the case. I just solder the wires to the external pot.

Andrey is modifying MKS BLS950 servos for the external pots.

>>Gear reduction ratio?<<

The interesting part about this setup is that you can use pretty much any gear ratio you want. I am starting with Andrey's tried and true setup of 90 tooth on the big side and 32 tooth on the servo side. That would give me 2.8 to 1. However you can go a higher ratio if you want.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
>>Man, this when I wish I was still in school and had access to machine shop equipment. Very well done! Would you consider selling the parts that required lathing? I think I could handle the rest. <<

I am trying to convince Rusty to make the parts requiring the lathe. If some one wants to make one before there is any parts available I can do the lathe parts.

>>I like it because it's seems to be a cross between a Cinestar and Andrey's gimbal - both quality options.<<

Exactly.

>>What servos are you using? And what pots are those?<<

I am ordering a few different servos from Servo City. They do modified Hitec servo by converting it to continuous rotation and leave the pot hanging on the outside of the case. I just solder the wires to the external pot.

Andrey is modifying MKS BLS950 servos for the external pots.

>>Gear reduction ratio?<<

The interesting part about this setup is that you can use pretty much any gear ratio you want. I am starting with Andrey's tried and true setup of 90 tooth on the big side and 32 tooth on the servo side. That would give me 2.8 to 1. However you can go a higher ratio if you want.
Looking badass man... Cant wait to see some videos
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: S900 H3-3D Mount
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
This is just so cool Maybe I should just put a dozen of every part I make in a box, and call it the AGL erector set

Rest assured that Hansen has already infected my brain with this idea, so I'll be looking into it myself. I've got some ideas that might work out better, so I'll investigate those options before committing to any gimbal kit. Ordering materials almost as I type...

Cheers,
Rusty
this is something i would definitely purchase!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Very nice work,

I have been playing around a bit with the tube leg plates myself lately. Lots of mounting options

Have you tossed it on the scale yet?

Mike
power is online now Find More Posts by power
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
Way to go Seismic, thanks for posting all this.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Very nice work,

I have been playing around a bit with the tube leg plates myself lately. Lots of mounting options

Have you tossed it on the scale yet?

Mike
I get 535 grams without servos so far. A bit hefty but it is large and stiff enough for a DSLR. I am looking to try another one with the 12mm tubes and see if I can bring the weight down.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Way to go Seismic, thanks for posting all this.
Thanks bud.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
Great job Seismic.

little worse build than yours is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707485
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
Great job Seismic.

little worse build than yours is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707485
I really like those boom blocks from Quadframe also. Some one can definitely use those blocks. They just have to cut the plates to fit. I want to build a 12mm tube gimbal. I am debating if I should use the 12mm blocks from Rusty or Quadframe. The ones from Quadframe are a little narrower.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,760 Posts
Rusty, put me down for the first version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post

Cheers,
Rusty
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky