HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
Awesome....those are well within my budget!! im not looking for perfect video...but if your rig is properly balanced then your video should still come out pretty good too.

thanks for starting this thread...i love the DIY stuff.
No guarantee now. You may be the first one trying them. I am just looking at the specs.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
yea no worries...im still far off from this project as it is, but im trying to learn as much about it as i can so that when im ready i know what im doing!!
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Sorry for all the questions but in regards to the 1/2" tube model did you use a 1/4" OD shaft for the roll pivot?

Also did you have tension (spring) washers on the roll shaft to take up slack or just leave a little end play in the roll?

Press in bronze bushing for roll pivot?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>>Sorry for all the questions but in regards to the 1/2" tube model did you use a 1/4" OD shaft for the roll pivot?<<

No worries. I love to share the details. Yes we are using 1/4" shafts for roll and tilt. I am using steel shafts and Rusty is using aluminum shafts (with ceramic coating and anodized). They are under sized at .2497" instead of .250" to fit in the bearings.

>>Also did you have tension (spring) washers on the roll shaft to take up slack or just leave a little end play in the roll?<<

I just have a little play between the outer and inner roll cage. I do have some spacers in between so the play is really minimum.

>>Press in bronze bushing for roll pivot?<<

I am using 1/4" ID X 1/2" OD flanged bearings.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Excellent, thanks for sharing the details. Once I polish the drill rod really good it usually fits in the bearing but all depends on the tolerances of the bushing. The 1/4" drill blank is 0.248" when polished.

I meant flanged bushing earlier. The roll bushing and the size of the roll shaft is what has me going back and forth so I will think on it a little more while we wait.

As always you and everyone else were correct about the cheap servos (in my case anyway). I pulled my favorite cheap one apart that held rock solid and did some testing and found it does track/hold very well about the middle but at the outer limits it isn't too hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
>>Sorry for all the questions but in regards to the 1/2" tube model did you use a 1/4" OD shaft for the roll pivot?<<

No worries. I love to share the details. Yes we are using 1/4" shafts for roll and tilt. I am using steel shafts and Rusty is using aluminum shafts (with ceramic coating and anodized). They are under sized at .2497" instead of .250" to fit in the bearings.

>>Also did you have tension (spring) washers on the roll shaft to take up slack or just leave a little end play in the roll?<<

I just have a little play between the outer and inner roll cage. I do have some spacers in between so the play is really minimum.

>>Press in bronze bushing for roll pivot?<<

I am using 1/4" ID X 1/2" OD flanged bearings.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>>Once I polish the drill rod really good it usually fits in the bearing but all depends on the tolerances of the bushing. The 1/4" drill blank is 0.248" when polished.<<

That will work. I am just too lazy to polish.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
621 Posts
Now the GoPro HD3 is launched! 30% smaller but twice more powerful! Come on ramp it up!
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
Now the GoPro HD3 is launched! 30% smaller but twice more powerful! Come on ramp it up!
Now we have to make a smaller one for the GoPro 3.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Now we have to make a smaller one for the GoPro 3.
im down for that...wheni get around to this project...i was thinking of scaling it down to fit the GP since i dont think ill ever get anything bigger...especially now with the GP3 on the way!!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
1,002 Posts
While you are at it don't forget Sony's new Action Cam.
UniversalRC is online now Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Let's not forget that the whole idea behind a scalable design is that you can make it whatever size fits your camera. There are limits of course, but I think they'll be pretty reasonable.

The parts are already going to be as light as I can make them, so about the only real savings will be the amount of tubing you use, and the servo size. I'm tentatively planning to make additional servo mounts for one or two other common servo sizes, so perhaps a smaller servo can be used for the smaller cameras to save weight.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC View Post
As Rusty said you can make the gimbal any size you want by simply changing the length of the tubes.

The limiting factor on the small end is the size of the standard servo. You can only go so short on those side arms and the vertical tube before the servos get in the way of everything.

I have tested a MKS mini servo using an external pot on the tilt and it is working pretty good. So I am wondering if I can also use a mini servo on the roll axis. If that works you can now make the gimbal even smaller because the servos are smaller. Rusty is willing to make servo plates for the mini servo so you will be seeing a smaller gimbal one day. Unless you make one first.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:51 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRC View Post
720p is not enough with all those other cameras shooting at 1080p nowadays.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Took a little break today and test the gimbal again.

Here is the latest video:
20121020 2 axis gimbal test 6 NEX 5 (2 min 8 sec)