HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:38 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Making a mount for motors should be very easy, but I don't think I've heard any two people agree on which motor to use yet, so that makes it closer to hopeless right now

I'm going to try to get one of the BL boards from Viacopter when the have them ready, and I'll start looking for motors whenever the board is on the way. As quickly as things are developing, there could be much better info available in just a few weeks, and it really can't be long before someone gets a motor manufacturer to start making these for us.

Rusty
Indeed; everything is in a state of flux right now. I hope it won't be long until someone nails down and manufactures several motor choices based upon camera weight. This project is moving much faster than some and everyone is anxious to have a working model. As far as I know, only about 15 boards have been made available outside the developer community.
Rod Cole is offline Find More Posts by Rod Cole
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:06 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
I figured you just meant you planned on 1/4 stepping them to get 800 steps. If they have 800 full steps you have some nice steppers.

In looking at the picture it looks like a bipolar stepper. I was looking at the open source for the stepper driver that converts 1000-2000uS pwm to 360 degree rotation using half steps but that is for a unipolar. Interesting and I will have to check out that company's products.
No Pug, its a unipolar 6 wire, with 800 mechanical steps (and 1/2 stepping ability) hope to use cunningturtle boards to start with.
There seem to be lots of people feverishly winding brushless motors with no boards to test them with, but the power seems pretty feeble, although results look excellent, so I'm hoping that steppers might be better for bigger cameras, but we'll see.
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:46 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Got mine all together, just need to drill a hole to mount the camera. I have the XQ 4020 on roll and Lontair on pitch. Gimbal weighs in at 535g, just shy of 200g less than the cf tube version. I haven't done any tuning yet, just plugged it in to make sure it was working. The Lontair feels smooth, the XQ also feels pretty smooth but is also tight, as in hard to move by hand (when the power is off of course). I'm guessing this is due to the high torque rating? Not that important really as long as it works well under power. I also have an XQ 420 robotic servo on standby.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:28 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
Got mine all together, just need to drill a hole to mount the camera. I have the XQ 4020 on roll and Lontair on pitch. Gimbal weighs in at 535g, just shy of 200g less than the cf tube version. I haven't done any tuning yet, just plugged it in to make sure it was working. The Lontair feels smooth, the XQ also feels pretty smooth but is also tight, as in hard to move by hand (when the power is off of course). I'm guessing this is due to the high torque rating? Not that important really as long as it works well under power. I also have an XQ 420 robotic servo on standby.
Matt I have a couple of them that are tight also and have no problem under power. Tight gear mesh and high torque can make them hard to get moving. A bad bearing can also cause it but hopefully that is not the problem.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:03 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,391 Posts
Got my 360 Lontair from Rusty and gave it a quite test. It moves nice and is smooth. I was a little concerned that the move to 360 over the same 1000-2000 uS pulse would result in really bad resolution, but it's actually not too bad. It's not quite as good resolution as some regular servos I've looked at, but it's not bad. There is a fair amount of gear backlash however.

I wouldn't want these on the swashplate of a high performance heli, but for this job, hopefully it works out well.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>> The Lontair feels smooth, the XQ also feels pretty smooth but is also tight, as in hard to move by hand (when the power is off of course). <<

I have the same experience. I simply cannot rotate one of my XQ Power by hand when the power is off. I thought it was stuck. Then I put a servo tester on it and it moved very smoothly. I cannot understand why.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:38 PM
Registered crasher
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherqs View Post
Thanks for the ideas, your first version was a+. Going to get the plates cut from some cf, but did anyone ever find a place that has not-insanely-overpriced 25mm aluminum clamps?
I did a market review for tube clamps up to 25mm and found these 25mm clamps to be cheapest - I haven't tried them so I can't suggest anything

$13,99 for 4 pairs

they appear to be black anodizes aluminium, an the listing for same type as a one pair has a description:
- Made by 6061 air aluminum
- Color:black
- 2 pcs per pair
- All M3 light hole
- 8.8g weight per pair
- suit for 25mm tube
- hold range:28mm
- size:34mm*29mm*5mm

from AliExpress, so don't expect it to be delivered before march at least
cyklopz is offline Find More Posts by cyklopz
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:57 PM
Registered crasher
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
NEX-5 measurements for gimbal designers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoKlaas View Post
Seen from the front of the NEX 5N:

Left to centre lensmount: 76,25mm (without neckstrap eyes)
Bottom to centre mount: 31mm
Total width: 110mm (with eyes approx. 118mm)
Total height approx. 62mm
thanx octa you seem to be a wealth of info.
The GRABCAD file I downloaded didn't agree with your info. I trust yours more and have changed the model, put in stap eyes and a 16mm lens mock-up.
As mentioned I don't have a NEX-5, so if someone wants me to correct the mistakes or add in more measurements, just tell me the correct measurements and I will republish.

The SonyRX100 is about 15mm smaller in length than a NEX5, so if your camera mount plate is sized for the NEX5 the other should fit. It would be interesting to know where the tripod thread position is (compared to the NEX5 with 76.25mm) to ensure the fit.
cyklopz is offline Find More Posts by cyklopz
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:39 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>>It would be interesting to know where the tripod thread position is (compared to the NEX5 with 76.25mm) to ensure the fit.<<

On the RX100 the Tripod thread position is 40.5mm and the center of lens is 55mm.

These are approximates.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:33 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklopz View Post
thanx octa you seem to be a wealth of info.
The GRABCAD file I downloaded didn't agree with your info. I trust yours more and have changed the model, put in stap eyes and a 16mm lens mock-up.
As mentioned I don't have a NEX-5, so if someone wants me to correct the mistakes or add in more measurements, just tell me the correct measurements and I will republish.
Nice! Could you dimension the total grip thickness, and locate the shutter button?
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Just an update.

So far my test with the mini servos on a GoPro size gimbal is not going well. The roll is tolerable with belt ratio at 2.5 to 1. The tilt is not doing well at all with belt ratio at 2 to 1. I don't have any other pulleys right now. I ordered some so I have to wait for the order to show up before trying again.

Symptom is lots of little tilt jump. I remember seeing that before when I was using 2 to 1 ratio. That is one main reason why I went to 2.8 to 1 ratio for the kit.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyklopz View Post
I did a market review for tube clamps up to 25mm and found these 25mm clamps to be cheapest - I haven't tried them so I can't suggest anything

$13,99 for 4 pairs

they appear to be black anodizes aluminium, an the listing for same type as a one pair has a description:
- Made by 6061 air aluminum
- Color:black
- 2 pcs per pair
- All M3 light hole
- 8.8g weight per pair
- suit for 25mm tube
- hold range:28mm
- size:34mm*29mm*5mm

from AliExpress, so don't expect it to be delivered before march at least
They are about the same price as the ones from OMGfly.com
Except you get them faster. I ordered 64 pieces (128 halves)
The problem is that they have the Chinese new year now so they will be here after Feb18th
http://www.omgfly.com/index.php?main...blocks&x=0&y=0

cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:47 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
>>The problem is that they have the Chinese new year now so they will be here after Feb18th<<

Oh yeah, Chinese New Year on the 10th. Bummer.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:08 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Waiting on servos which won't get shipped until after the 13th myself. In the meantime I guess I will keep worrying the parts cutter with additional changes. I know he just luvs me

In addition to CF frame plates there is a CF gimbal damper assembly. Hopefully it will prove to be of universal use.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
137 Posts
Rusticwave camera gimbal test

Hello everybody!

After being away for a few weeks, I have rebuilt my quad that crashed at the end of last year and can thus continue to test and improve my "rusticwave" camera gimbal.
So here is another test completely RAW and unedited footage. The pitch looks better than the roll. I forgot to tell: the servos are MIBL 70360 powered by 7.2V BEC.
I'm having these bumps constantly in the roll and don't know how to correct these.
The gimbal controller is the NAZA FC itself. I know it is not the best, but I've seen way better results than this one on this forum with the same gimbal and the NAZA.

So any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your comments and help!

Cheers!

Chewy

Rusticwave camera gimbal test (3 min 18 sec)
Chewwy00 is offline Find More Posts by Chewwy00