HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
These servos came back in stock. Good for roll?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18401

Mi Digital High Voltage Metal Gear Servo 23.0kg / 0.12 / 61g
I have not tried it.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
I just tested a Savox 2273 brushless servo on roll on the ground. The servo was not happy. It was drifting and jittering. It worked very smoothly when I was moving it with the servo driver. So I am not sure what is making it unhappy.

On another news I am setting the Open Pilot CC board as a stand alone gimbal controller and it is working ok.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:58 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
592 Posts
Why is it so diff to understand pot or GC? With a pot, it tells a position the same as using a more expensive GC with many axis of feedback.

I have the Triax-Lite Gimbal and just acquired a Photohigher AV200.
The Triax uses an open source controller I hardly hear people talk about. But I think its doing a good job just by mine swinging it around, but its heavy. Didnt like it.

The PH I ordered does not come with the Skyline so I had to add the Skyline in the order. The gimbal arrived with pots. And instruction for the Skyline is to remove the pot and replace it with a plug in resistor as in the pdf posted earlier.

If you are not using the Skyline, the pot must be used. Ok this part, I didn't know before buying. I thought I must purchase the Skyline in order for the gimbal to work.

I just measured the pot, total resistance is 4.7K. so they split half across pin 2 & 1 and 2 & 3 with 2.375k each.

Why POT? Why GC?

POT becoz its cheap to implement. It works.
GC becoz you can fine tune the gain on speed and positioning.

Hope that is clear from someone who owns a product and shed some light. I am not advocating a pro gimbal or not, just happen I'm building systems for commercial users.

And I hope to get my hands on Rusty's gimbal beoz I still have a small quad waiting to take off once all this build takes off. And also, my HFGC is still in the courier box, wrapped!
prodriverex is online now Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
>>Why is it so diff to understand pot or GC? With a pot, it tells a position the same as using a more expensive GC with many axis of feedback.<<

Not difficult. We are just trying to find the best method to obtain a smooth video for the users.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
>>As we are on the other side of the pond, I will be getting my bits here: http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-pul...-25_35_26.html
Another excellent source, probably closer to you.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belt-pulleys/=kskimv
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
Another excellent source, probably closer to you.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belt-pulleys/=kskimv
Thank you. I do order from them. I have to save up enough for a large order because they charge a lot for shipping to Hawaii.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Be happy your government don't charge you 60%-100% duty taxes. And that falls over the shipping cost too! :P
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
>>Sorry I am babbling a bit. Xmas is a bit frantic here. Maybe I need more wine, or less.<<

Thank you for your wine induced idea. That light a fire under me and prompted me to do more testing. So far I am happy to report that an Open Pilot Copter Controller board works very well as a stand alone gimbal controller.

Yes I have converted two servos with fixed value resistors and mounted the CC board on the camera tray. It is working just fine. The roll is getting a little lag during bench test. I am just holding the gimbal by the top tube so I had to turn down the gain. If you hook up a receiver to the CC board you can control the tilt with the transmitter. Otherwise the camera will only stay level. You do need to hook up a receiver with full 6 channels connected to the CC board before it will function. You can use it as a stand alone gimbal controller without a receiver but you cannot selectively hook up just the tilt channel.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
>>If you are not using the Skyline, the pot must be used. Ok this part, I didn't know before buying. I thought I must purchase the Skyline in order for the gimbal to work.

I just measured the pot, total resistance is 4.7K. so they split half across pin 2 & 1 and 2 & 3 with 2.375k each.

Why POT? Why GC?

POT becoz its cheap to implement. It works.
GC becoz you can fine tune the gain on speed and positioning.

Hope that is clear from someone who owns a product and shed some light. I am not advocating a pro gimbal or not, just happen I'm building systems for commercial users.

And I hope to get my hands on Rusty's gimbal beoz I still have a small quad waiting to take off once all this build takes off. And also, my HFGC is still in the courier box, wrapped!<<

From my understanding you may use the HFGC on continuous rotating servos by mounting the HFGC on the camera tray. I have just tested the Open Pilot CC in a similar setup and it is working just fine.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
I can type till I am blue and it won't beat having a few pictures to show you what it looks like. The red thing on top is an old speed controller I am using as BEC.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
592 Posts
For a moment I thought you came up with a BLDC solution!
prodriverex is online now Find More Posts by prodriverex
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Just a quick update:

I have been playing around with my jumbo-sized gimbal for the past few days, and the results just keep getting better. For what I want it to do, it's 95% there. I may need to adjust my iso scheme a bit since I am getting some bounce. I have 14 EAR isolators right now, which seem like too much given the rated load capacity. I may go back down to ten or try some other isolators.

Roll is pretty much spot on right now. I had it a bit slow at first thinking that my servo was going to be too fast, but I ended up pushing the advance and speed up a lot on the HFpro setup client. Tilt is pretty good as well, but you can definitely see the stretched resolution with the external pot.

Balance is really key. My current setup is balanced well, but I tried a different lens today that pushed me out of my tilt CG range. You could definitely see the servo struggling to keep it level (didn't help that it was a heavier lens)

Overall, I am very pleased and have gotten shots that wouldn't have been possible without this gimbal.

Sorry about no footage yet. Lots of stuff to shift through from the past few days. I should have something soon
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Here is a picture another member snapped at a meet yesterday. Pretty cool
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodriverex View Post
for a moment i thought you came up with a bldc solution!
bldc?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Here is a picture another member snapped at a meet yesterday. Pretty cool
Looking really good. I noticed you cut the pulleys. Very interesting.