Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Question
Where to purchase Optical Kill Switch

New to gassers and wanted to know if someone can recommend a decent Optical kill switch and where to buy? I'm going to be installing it on a DLE 20cc. Also when I install it would it be my primary cutoff or would it be better to shutdown through throttle as primary?
Mikep0011 is offline Find More Posts by Mikep0011
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikep0011 View Post
New to gassers and wanted to know if someone can recommend a decent Optical kill switch and where to buy? I'm going to be installing it on a DLE 20cc. Also when I install it would it be my primary cutoff or would it be better to shutdown through throttle as primary?
I've always used the throttle trim to set idle speed & then it can be used to shut down the engine.

K.I.S.S.
SrTelemaster is online now Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,175 Posts
You should always have your throttle properly setup so that you can kill the engine either way. Killing the engine with the ignition kill switch is a good idea, reason being that if you kill with the throttle the capacitor is still charged in the CDI ignition. If someone carelessly flips the prop the plug could still fire one time resulting in a kick back. Not common, but possible.
Since you're talking about 20cc powered models, you may want to consider the advantages of an IBEC such as this one. http://www.tech-aero.net/Home.
The largest gassers I fly are 30cc, and for an everyday beater a 20cc powered. All using an IBEC. With a 20cc model you can run one 2300mAh A123, or comparable LiFe pack to provide plenty of flying time. The IBEC has an adjustable regulator to drop the voltage down to the level needed for an ignition module designed around 4 cell Nimh.
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,289 Posts
I like having the ability to kill with the throttle, but in practice, use the optikill switch the vast majority of the time. One of the bigger advantages of a switch like this is in the event the receiver looses it's signal, or you shut off the radio forgetting to turn off the flight pack? The switch will shut down the power to the ignition in any instance where there is no longer a signal coming from the receiver.

Rcexl OptiKill switch is pretty popular, great buy bucks spent for bang received. 20 bucks or less, here's a good source:
http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Last edited by ahicks; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2011
30 Posts
Good Info. Thanks alot for your quick response.
Mikep0011 is offline Find More Posts by Mikep0011
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
I bought the 20 dollar one from these guys
http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/e...-switches.html
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,510 Posts
$18 at Bad Brad Graphics, Rcexl. I'm using two of them right now. Scroll down a little to find it.
Edwin
http://www.badbradgraphics.com/photo_16.html
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1