HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
"Nope. If you're an older "Tool Time Guy" .. and you've got a few Craftsman power tools sitting around in the shop, "

I have a garage full of Craftsman tools, both power AND hand tools. I raised three sons, and started all of them on Craftsman, BUT, have you taken a close look at Craftsman lately. They are garbage, and a LOT of metric screws in them.

Les
Interesting you should mention that Les. Rikon stuff is just plain hands down awesome .. I have both the 18" and 10" bandsaws here. Prior to getting the 10"er, I read reviews that the Craftsman 10" bandsaw is a Rikon copy, but is crap, all the way down to the paint, and is of course over priced .. my Rikon 10" was $199.99 from Highland.

They are actually selling Craftsman stuff now in our mercantile .. right angle die grinder has finer finish and 20 bucks cheaper than NAPA. Had to get both a 34mm and 32mm combo wrenches .. Craftsman .. finish not like the old days, but satisfactory, and functional.

While we may lament the "Olden" days, I still chuckle when I think about Sears hawking compressors using Locked Rotor current to advertise Horsepower
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:04 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Still has the original brakes, and it was inspected not too long ago with a clean bill of health.
A Double Bonus rarely mentioned .. regenerative braking surely saves wear and tear on the braking system .. 100K may be some kinda record. Thanks for sharing
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:41 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
As I learn how to drive this to take advantage of the hybrid technology my mpg average on this tank gets better. At 64 mpg now with around 120 miles on tank.
IMO, why $hed the buck$ for a Volt or Leaf when this works so well?

Rick
Disclaimer: I am 55, can drive like I am 80 and live in Phoenix where the largest hill in the city is a mole hill.
Hehe, I'm 56 and have a Honda Insight Hybrid and drive much the same way now. I "only" get about 50MPG, on the other hand it cost me less than the 3 cars I bought before that ((German) Ford Fusion , Hyundai Matrix, Volvo V40, all diesel fueled), and a lot less than a Prius (more than 10.000 $). None of these 3 served me for more than 4 years ( all possible problems you can have with a car with the Volvo, lasted only 3.5 years(broken gearbox was the final problem), fuel injectors for the Hyundai, tired of it after 4 years, blown engine @ 4 years for the Ford). I'd buy the Volt if it was smaller and cheaper....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:05 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
A Double Bonus rarely mentioned .. regenerative braking surely saves wear and tear on the braking system .. 100K may be some kinda record. Thanks for sharing
I don't know about a record I changed my front brakes on my 4runner around 78K, and the rear brakes at about 120 something K The last car my wife got about 70-75K on the front brakes. The only car we got bad brake mileage was a GM minivan she had. About 10K between brake jobs, and new rotors every other brake job.
But it is apparent that the regenerative brakes helps. That and with the computer in the hybrid you learn how to manage energy better, and that also helps with wear and tear.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,714 Posts
I've been driving my new Leaf for a few days now. It's great, but it will take a while to get used to the short range, long recharge time. So far I have to kind of arrange my life around the car. Once I can do a level 2 charge (7 hr) it will help, and I have to decide wether to keep the gas car at the shop, or at home. So far it looks like my cost to charge will be about $80.00 a month, but once I get set up with my local electric company (SCE) for lower night time rates, that should drop to about half.

It looks like the Leaf will save me about $100.00 per month overall compared to my PT Cruiser. If I had to pay all of the costs of the Leaf without help from the federal and state governments, it would probably cost me about $200.00 more per month than the PT.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin View Post
So far it looks like my cost to charge will be about $80.00 a month, but once I get set up with my local electric company (SCE) for lower night time rates, that should drop to about half.
So SCE is going to change out your meter with one that has time capability?

That is usually only done for commercial.

Standard residential meters usually can't determine what time of day the power was used.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2004
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post

Standard residential meters usually can't determine what time of day the power was used.
All of the meters in our area were changed out a few years ago. Edison can see power useage for any period of time.

Dan
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:

Here in Californicate, they're called Smart Meters .. you don't havem' down there yet? Down in the City (SF) they're even doing water meters now.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:28 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
The new meters are awesome! Give you all sorts of information on usage, some if it even useful. You can go online and get ~720 individual usage data points (one per hour for the whole billing period) for each bill.

Below is my usage for yesterday. The 7A and 10P peaks are due to my darn electric water heater kicking in after my showers.

Roger, call SCE and ask 'em when they're upgrading your area.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
WOW.

Didn't know they were doing this in homes now.

It is, no dought, postering to be able to charge homes at a higher rate for on-peak usage.
I really don't think it is to lower your rate for off-peack usage.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Apr 2004
2,714 Posts
Southern California Edison is subsidizing use of compact fluorescent bulbs to reduce the draw on the power grid, and offering reduced rates for people with electric vehicles to increase the draw on the power grid.

They have 2 different plans for electric vehicles; one that reduces rates for off peak power useage, but increases on peak rates a bit, and they have another plan where you have a separate meter installed for your electric vehicle, and all power drawn from it is at a reduced rate. I have to do some more research before I decide what I'll do. In the first plan the tier 2 summer price on peak is .60/kwhr
http://www.sce.com/info/electric-car...rate-plans.htm

Dan
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
245 Posts
Absolutely correct! That is the ONLY REAL reason. The rest is Spin!

Quote:
WOW.

It is, no dought, postering to be able to charge homes at a higher rate for on-peak usage.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:35 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
Quote:

Right you are Roger. There's no doubt that having the new meters lowers operational costs for the utility provider (no meter reader necessary) and allows them to have finer control over distribution.

Whether it allows them to stick their hands deeper into our pockets remains to be seen. It did help me determine that having an EV at my residence would put me in the top usage tier, to the tune of ~$.032 / kWh, which is 3-4 times greater than most EV calculators use.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
The electric companies can not carry the AC in the summer.

Add on all those cars ! What blackouts

Electric power is for the RICHEST ,ooo1 % of the wealthy.

Major holidays would be real cute at motels

" Get that dam cord out of my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
The new meters are awesome! Give you all sorts of information on usage, some if it even useful. You can go online and get ~720 individual usage data points (one per hour for the whole billing period) for each bill.

Below is my usage for yesterday. The 7A and 10P peaks are due to my darn electric water heater kicking in after my showers.

Roger, call SCE and ask 'em when they're upgrading your area.

Mark
That's pretty cool Mark. My BIL over in Sacto has that too .. also with pv on the roof, so he can pull up power in and out 24/7 online. I'm exempt .. totally off-grid out here.