Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiggio View Post
I guess I'm totally in the minority.

I have training gear on my Genius CP! Had them on since the get-go.

I also have them on my V120. They help me learning my orientation.

I've not seen any problems on either heli with the training gear.
You won't see the difference until you remove it. It's a crutch and it isn't needed.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiggio View Post
I guess I'm totally in the minority.

I have training gear on my Genius CP! Had them on since the get-go.

I also have them on my V120. They help me learning my orientation.

I've not seen any problems on either heli with the training gear.
I use v911 for orientation practice. When you lose orientation, you usually hit a wall. The training gear only gives you larger landing skids, which kinda ruins the helicopters balance since it's already very light as it is. I suppose you can still use it for sliding across the ground when you do cyclic exercises. Of course, i don't have experience with training gears so it's just conjecture, just saying it isn't necessary on a micro heli.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I use v911 for orientation practice. When you lose orientation, you usually hit a wall. The training gear only gives you larger landing skids, which kinda ruins the helicopters balance since it's already very light as it is. I suppose you can still use it for sliding across the ground when you do cyclic exercises. Of course, i don't have experience with training gears so it's just conjecture, just saying it isn't necessary on a micro heli.
Mainly just for tipping to avoid rotor ground hits and avoid more repairs.

I probably could take them off, but I've not noticed any difference between having them on vs. not, so I just leave em.

The GCP ones are just carbon fiber rods with tiny styrofoam beads on the ends. As you say, they're really just extended landing gears. They weigh practically nothing.
indiggio is offline Find More Posts by indiggio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
You know why people don't mind having the same questions asked over and over here unlike in other forums? It's because the previous newbies are the ones answering the questions of the new newbies so the seniors only have to answer the more complicated questions. Ask your questions, and later when the next batch of newbies come in, it'll be your turn to help them out
Awesome, totally true.
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
Of course it is better to buy something like the V911 for your first heli, but the Mini CP is as good as it gets for your first CP as far as stability is concerned. It is the only submicro heli that I have been able to take off and hover in a 2 ft wide space, and that includes co-axials and FPs. Walkera has done some tricks to the 3 axis gyro to make it exceptionally stable. The same characteristic make it an excellent trainer for inverted flight. I wouldn't worry about the new version of the Mini CP because the 6 axis gyro it sports is very controversial. Many experienced fliers do not like it as it feels different from other helis.

As far as receiver damage is concerned, it is definitely a big problem for me and others over here in Hong Kong. However, the problem does not seem to be as bad for others in the forum. However, we often fly 3D in concrete playgrounds over here because of a lack of space. The Mini CP receiver have components and sockets at the front of the board that are susceptible to crash damage. Otherwise, there are also problems common to all 100 sized CPs with a brushed tail motor, such as burnt tail fets or pulled battery leads. We do get boards repaired for free by Walkera over here and so may take more risks than we should. The repaired boards often do not perform as well and is susceptible to more damage. This is what I would recommend.

1. Fly over grass as much as possible.
2. Put a piece of foam in the canopy at the front and tape it so that it does not move up in a crash.
3. Use 350 mAH batteries - you need as much flight time as possible as a beginner.
4. Be extremely carefully when you replace a tail boom. This is when damage to the tail motor wires may occur which may result in the short circuit. If you are not confident, then perhaps you should use a complete boom assembly with tail motor for the time being.

If you fly over grass and prevent receiver damage, then this is likely to be the most durable CP you will ever own.

Best of luck
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Thanks for your advice zadaw. Do you possibly have any pictures of the foam placement?
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Just picked up Aerofly Pro Deluxe for $60 shipped off of flea bay. Hopefully this will save me some repairs. There's plenty of heli tutorials out there so that should occupy my time for the Michigan winter....
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
I am sorry about this, the lens on my Olympus E-PL2 appears not to be working. What I did is the fill the space between the front of the board and the canopy with a piece of foam. Anyway, I am not the best to seek advice on this as I have reported receiver damage more than anybody else. I would recommend that you look at the Mini CP threads on Micro heli forum.

I know a lot of people don''t like the speed that Walkera releases new models but they have slowed down considerably in the past year. But this is the way that the market works in Asia. You can use the same arguments against car, computer, and camera manufacturers as well.

Since FBL submico helis are quite recent. I think it is quite justifiable to have a faster rate of product release. Take the mCPX for instant, nobody here has heard of Blade helis until the mCPX was released. It did quite well for a while but sales have almost dried up now. All but one shop here has delisted it, and even that shop only orders a few BNF kits at a time. Now they have just released the Nano CPX, the sales should pick up again.

Also, it is completely possible to upgrade some of their discontinued models to current ones. For example, you can upgrade the 4#6, 4#6s, 4G6, 4G6s, V120D02 to the V120D02S. This gradual evolutionary development does help. The V120D02S is possibly the best Walkera heli ever being highly durable and problem free.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Got my Walkera Mini CP and Devo 8s yesterday. Went through 7 packs. Of course, I crashed a lot but no damage fortunately. Stayed in grass and lifted off from a plastic table. Was able to land a few times as well. Very glad I could get this especially with DSM2 support on the hacked Devo 8s.

I am still working on hovering but getting better. One thing I noticed is that the heli's tail seems to drift. Anyone know why? Seems to get worse as battery dies and heli gets harder to control.

Also plastic table seems to help with hovering.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
Got my Walkera Mini CP and Devo 8s yesterday. Went through 7 packs. Of course, I crashed a lot but no damage fortunately. Stayed in grass and lifted off from a plastic table. Was able to land a few times as well. Very glad I could get this especially with DSM2 support on the hacked Devo 8s.

I am still working on hovering but getting better. One thing I noticed is that the heli's tail seems to drift. Anyone know why? Seems to get worse as battery dies and heli gets harder to control.

Also plastic table seems to help with hovering.
My little Genius CP does the same thing...
Solid with fresh battery, then tail starts drifting as battery weakens.

Throw in a little trim now and again to keep it straight, if necessary.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
This seemed to work for tail drift.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1601214
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
Thanks!

Yeah, I've tried that numerous times and the drift continues.

Personally I think it has to do with the strength of the battery, as different batteries seem to cause the heli to drift differently. The amount of drift also changes as the battery drains through the flight.

I've just given up trying to get the "perfect" hover and just deal with the drift, it's not that big a problem.

What I've also found that seems to help is to zero the trim or overshoot it left before unplugging the battery from the heli.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,134 Posts
The tail will get less solid as the headspeed gets lower. It is a very bad idea to run your batteries empty. Batteries get ruined quickly this way. You should either set a timer or use telemetry to alert you when the voltage drops below a certain voltage e.g. 3.6V

The drift problem in the Genius is well known. A number of solutions had been suggested that includes using subtrim and mixing. But many just ignore it altogether. In fact, it is barely noticeable when flying outdoors, especially when there is a bit of wind around.