HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
Discussion
UMX ASK-21 Question

I've been waited p a t i e n t l y for this bird and this morning I was thinking... When towing it up with the Cub, how are you going to prevent one wing from getting majorly chewed up by the asphalt/concrete? It is only foam... I mean, it looks like one wing will "lay" on the ground prior to takeoff...
Kevinfred is offline Find More Posts by Kevinfred
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:30 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Dunno for sure, but it probably has hard plastic on the bottom of the wing tips. The Gee Bee has hard plastic protection in a few critical areas like the bottom of the engine cowl, tips of the wheel pants and (I think) the top of the rudder.

Funny, I looked at it several times at the WRAM show but didn't look for anything like that. I don't think aerotow is possible at my club field.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
I've seen a few "close up" photos and it didn't look like any protection was anywhere... I don't understand why it's taking so long, it looked finished back in February. Shoot, half the USA will be buttoning things down here in a few weeks (bbrrrrr)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
it has AS3X. so im sure once it gets moving. it will hold its self upright for the majority of the takeoff... ???
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
One would hope, I guess... it would just stink if after a few takeoffs the edges were all chewed up! It's such a good looking piece....
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
769 Posts
Watching a few videos. The wings sit nice and level with very little speed. besides you would have to have a nice smooth area to take off.... i wouldn't worry about it. The foam is pretty durable in the construction of these UMX aircraft.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Oct 2008
301 Posts
Yea, I can't wait... esp. to see the little high start!!!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,019 Posts
I cant wait to get it.. Was hoping to get it before the winter is here
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:25 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,804 Posts
Aero Tow Input

If I may,

I spent the majority of my life flying full scale sailplanes including ASK-21s. With a full scale sailplane, it tends to balance quite well on its wheel. If you hold the wing level and let go, it will take several seconds for one tip to get to the ground. When you launch, you have a helper hold the wing and take a few steps (usually up to a jog) holding the wing to get you started level till airspeed gives you aileron control. With the way RC planes accelerate, you should have aileron control pretty quickly. I fly my Windrider Fox 1.6m foam glider by towing it behind my HZ Super Cub. We do this from grass with no problem. Obviously, the micro Carbon Cub SS/ASK-21 combo will not do well from grass, but on solid surface it should accelerate fast enough not to matter. It will take some finess on ailerons to get a smooth takeoff everytime. From some of the video footage I have seen, the tow needs to be executed in a scale, un-aggressive AoA. A steep climb will result in a stall of both planes. I would say that putting the flaps down a few degrees on the Cub would help the climb while maintaining a more level pitch attitude. The full scale ASK-21s in our flying club had rollerblade wheels bolted to the wingtip. A matchbox wheel might do the trick for the UMX-21. Honestly, I think a piece of packing tape would be good enough. The wing doesnt have enough mass to "grind" into the pavement. It would be more like a touch. I would be more worried about it catching (on rough pavement) and flipping/cartwheeling the glider.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!