Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:03 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoll View Post
thanks mustfly and olllian I hope you guys have a great weekend
Im hoping to get to baylands in sunnyvale this weekend :-)
should be fun
JAK

edit

so you pushed the shaft out the front and use a collet adapter? 30mm diameter will be easier to put in then the 35mm one I put in I was bareley able to turn the screws to tighten it and the screws had to go in with the motor (there was just enough room in the chamfer at the stator plate for the heads) because I couldent put them in after the motor was in the hole
take care and thanks again
JAK

edit edit

did you machine the end of the bell to let more air in? it looks more closed up in the pic at HK
I screwed in the motor from the back were the lipo goes. And I just took off the plate on that motor so I could push the shaft out the other side
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:03 PM
cant leave things stock
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
so I did some more playing with settings on my Moray and found that I can run 30* timing if I have the PWM at 16 khz and that it pulls about 900 watts and with the PWM at 8 khz that it pulled almost twice the watts.... so it was way less effecient at the 8 Khz setting so the setup Im running is the turnegy prop drive 35/36 1800 and the HK 60/70 amp controller with a 7X6E prop I may be able to get radared tomorrow or get a video that someone can doppler
take care
JAK
jstoll is offline Find More Posts by jstoll
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:46 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoll View Post
so I did some more playing with settings on my Moray and found that I can run 30* timing if I have the PWM at 16 khz and that it pulls about 900 watts and with the PWM at 8 khz that it pulled almost twice the watts.... so it was way less effecient at the 8 Khz setting so the setup Im running is the turnegy prop drive 35/36 1800 and the HK 60/70 amp controller with a 7X6E prop I may be able to get radared tomorrow or get a video that someone can doppler
take care
JAK
Which esc exactly JAK? My friend flew his this arvo, same motor, blue hk 60 amp esc, no PWM on the card, auto timing set. No power measurement. I'd really like to know some rpm at prop rather than power? We didn't check that either, next time. 7x5 apc
He was finally able to fly wot, with no spinner, which was the prob giving vibration. I saw it fly, still reckon his behaves best before wot. Quite windy today though. Good luck with your flight JAK
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:53 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,800 Posts
Three flights with the moray now lol, 2 on 2200 3s and 1 on 4s 1800, boy she does move on 4s

I don't like how nose heavy she is, considering putting servos in the wings which means I can get the battery further back.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
hey there mustfly....
Im using this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_70A_ESC.html I have the 90/100 as well waiting to go in I use the HK UBEC

Id like to know RPM as well to know weather the higher amps means more RPM or if it means less effeciency

these speed controllers seems to work smoothley when set up correctly
take care
JAK
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
I flew the hell out of the Moray today :-) had a blast and got a few compliments from folks on its speed and tracking... like its on rails :-) I think Im ready to step up to 5S :-)
more fun then a barrel of monkeys
JAK
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:11 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Nice.
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:25 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
I seem to be pulling more watts with this motor and a 7X6E close to 1KW at 15* timing and PWM at 16KHZ I noticed you pulling 650 in the pic... I wonder what your timing was?
the odd thing is that I was flying over the weekend and I re set the timing and on the next couple of flights I notices the battery life shortened (flight time shortened) when I checked watts today it was 1300 watts and I reset the PWM and it went back to about 900 watts but the RPM sounded the same... I was careful when I set the timing that I wasent setting PWM the chimes were 3 for15* and the chimes for 16KHz are 2 chimes and in the PWM menue there are only 1 chime and 2 chime not 1,2,3 and 4 like in the timing menue
sorry for the ramble... just Id suggest when using the speed controller I use that when you make changes you re check watts to ensure nothing else got changed .... anyway have a great week
this motor is a great upgrade to the moray
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Subscribed! Nice thread. Picked up one of these second hand, stock, in good order for a friend of mine who slammed his funfighter into a tree. But to my surprise he turned up the other day with the little rarebear back together flying just as good as ever.
His moray maiden was great but a little underpowered, light with 4s 1600 zippy compact. So glad to hear 35 size motors fit, sounds quite versatile for a cheap foam set up, might have to get one myself.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_875w.html

Just did some quick numbers static for this motor with 1800mah 4s zippy and 7x5 apc. Got no 6s batts so just looking for a little upgrade and no extra lead hopefully. Anyone got a weight on the stock motor? This one is 120g
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:41 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,294 Posts
Good question! Pretty sure I used the blue esc, timing to auto. But with a 7x5e. It was a quick test as I had that motor aside and figured it might work in the Moray, so just had a quick look. Battery an oldie too.
Rpm at 16000. As I don't have the plane with me I can't re-check or adjust timing, but will look into it again when I catch up with my friend. However I have noticed they are in stock in oz, sooooo might have to set myself up with one.

Esc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:38 PM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
13V X 1800 RPM is about 23K RPM and at 12V is 21,600 RPM 12V is where my ESC cuts power on 4S
you must have been at about 9V to hit 16K RPM?

Ill go back and look at the pic of the log???

the KV of that motor must have been 1400 or lower to get that RPM and wattage from what I see.....

I think I hit 650 watts with the stock motor.....
I dont mean to be argumentative Im only curious about the differences :-)
its the nerd in me that likes the data :-)
only curiosity:-)

have a wonderful week :-)
and thanks for posting back
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Good question! Pretty sure I used the blue esc, timing to auto. But with a 7x5e. It was a quick test as I had that motor aside and figured it might work in the Moray, so just had a quick look. Battery an oldie too.
Rpm at 16000. As I don't have the plane with me I can't re-check or adjust timing, but will look into it again when I catch up with my friend. However I have noticed they are in stock in oz, sooooo might have to set myself up with one.

Esc

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html
Last edited by jstoll; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:34 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,294 Posts
If you look at the kv number, bottom right hand corner, that is the instantaneous kv at that moment the reading is taken, ie under load so 1185 x 14.33 to give 16,981, which is pretty close to the on screen reading. Sorry my screen is not clear there as the LCD screen has a flaw of some sort. Thrust numbers are dependent on a prop co-efficient to be entered, not sure how this is worked out but comparisons can be made between props.
The number above kv is efficiency which doesn't look great static, hopefully would improve in the air, and kv rise too. Best to get real flight details, not much room in the moray for the data unit though. I use it alot in larger gliders for readings.
I would be out in the shed getting some more readings and confirming my original post if I had the motor but I don't anymore.
I guess the conclusion is, is that this $18 motor underload doesn't do too well seamingly. I haven't checked no load kv but I thought I saw on ecalc it was actually rated at 1700, yes it is, so maybe not the 1800kv to begin, again have to measure. Well thanks for the query, and when I get the chance I will test again.
Take it easy. Brendan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:50 AM
cant leave things stock
Joined Feb 2007
1,457 Posts
thank you for posting back and not taking offense to my bagering :-)

maybe you got a defective motor?
Im sure they are posting the no load KV and Im also sure that changes under load to some degree

they show a vid of the motor being dyno tested as if they dyno each motor before boxing it..... I dont know if thats true or not.....

I need to get a datalogger or at least a tach of some sort
take care
JAK
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Mar 2005
4 Posts
Hello, I would like to know what throws everyone is using and are you using the stock radio system.
RC-Junky is offline Find More Posts by RC-Junky
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:18 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Junky View Post
Hello, I would like to know what throws everyone is using and are you using the stock radio system.
I asked the same question a few pages back, but got no worthwhile replies.

I will check my throws in the morning and report back.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:48 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,800 Posts
Hi RC-junky

Elevator high rate 10mm low 5mm, aileron high 5mm low 2.5mm, I moved the aileron pushrods in closer to the servo centre at 2nd hole out, this give greater mechanical advantage for the servo, I plan to replace the single servo with one in each wing from the bottom, with the arm through the top of the wing.

This will allow the battery to sit back further and also give differential on the ailerons to improved the roll. On the maiden and a few laps to trim the moray out I went ahead and gained more height to explore its stall with elevator, with the low rate the plane refused to stall even with full back stick, on high rate it did stall with full back stick, it would drop and wing but did not enter a spin, I decided when it came time to land, to do so on low rate, I was surprised how much speed to could wash off before she touched down.

This set up suits my personal flying style but may not be for everyone.