HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:12 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
My maiden flight was not so great, I went with full rates and 40% expo… I managed to overcome the torque roll but she was rolling left to right and heading for some houses so I “landed” actually crashed landed! She hit the deck so hard I would have bet it was going to be a bin job… but amazingly I only broke the prop. It’s a testament to the build quality on this plane. I got new pops today so hoping for a more successful flight on the weekend.

What is wrong with spektrum?? I’ve been using Dx7 and Dx6i radios for years.
RowdyRod is offline Find More Posts by RowdyRod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:50 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Just asking. I have a dx6i too and haven't had a prob with authentic rx, but there are lots of reports of failure. I use hitec a9 mostly now though, easier for me for glider set up etc, with no issue and haven't ever heard of a prob with brown out.
So did you or will you reduce those rates? Say 3-4mm? what does the book say. I think my friend came back to 50%
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
I Agree, I’ve personally never had a problem, but there are a lot of Spektrum haters out there! The HiTech A9 is a sweet radio, good choice for gliders esp with a full compliment of flaps.

I setup 70% rates but stupid me tried to fly with 100%, and I was not quick enough to flip the switch! Given the wild ride I will now try 60% rates with 60% expo…. that should tame it down a bit.

I’ve also been told not to try fly inverted or tight loops as the Moray is supposed to have a tendency to go into a hard roll/stall if you apply too much up elevator.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:15 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Flying mode two with ail and elev on the right stick with speed planes I have plenty of expo so as not to mix the two, as you say esp when going inverted or pulling tight loops to keep clean inputs. A little cross wind as well and no rudder, well it nearly gets inpossible to fly straight lines
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
I was putting the new prop on tonight when I realised there seemed to be a little more flex in the fuse from when I first put it together, I also noted that the decals on the side had a few minor creases in them which I was sure were not there before. So I decided to remove the wing a have a closer inspection… I’m glad I did as I found a couple of fine cracks in the fuse just behind the wing bolt… looks like that crash broke more than the prop!! Thin CA and a spray of Accelerator has fixed it… ready for Saturday morning, as long as the wind drops!

Has anyone tried different prop sizes with the stock motor? I was wondering how an 8x4 would go… maybe less thrust but higher top end speed?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:06 AM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
I too am using Spektrum DX 6i. I don't blame the radio for the plane I lost. Others have lost planes in the same spot add a field we fly. I believe there's a bit of a wrinkle in the space time continuum in that area.
Looks like I need to read the manual learn how to do exponential and rates before I fly this plane.
Erik S. is offline Find More Posts by Erik S.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:10 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
quote: Ps not flying spectrum are you? friends don't let friends.........
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:43 PM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Batteries charged up.... pfinagled and wedged reciever into the aft section of fuselage (RX ant actually exits ventral vent, if you know what I mean).

Recieved excellent advice, summary %60-70 throttle on take off, throw easy and not at a great angle, D/R and expo at %60 / 50 for both ail and ele.

I managed to get the battery (weight 184G 4s nanotech 1600mah 25-50C) farther back by mounting it vertical, ya know tall? In normal flat mode wires pushed it 3-4mm forward, which would have required a bit of weight in the tail to balance. As is I call CG 51mm. I hope that's safe to fly, if not let me know soon!

I did range test.... 28 paces. wonder what that means? I will try to fly tight circles until I know more. I gots weak batts in Dx6i right now, will put freshies in for maiden, does this help range?

Thanks all for your guidance, will report back results.

Right now for you!
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:49 AM
you can always go faster!
United States, IN, Clear Lake
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
Orange Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
I'm not sure that was a brown out just kidding.

Ever since I started using the orange rx I have never had a brown out.

Ever since I switched to orange I have had no problems and we fly in the country away from interference and (knock on wood) no more brown out issues.
jfrederick is offline Find More Posts by jfrederick
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:29 PM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Maiden flight report....

I didn't make a video, but if you saw the previous video on this thread that was very similar, except we launched almost level. Right after it left the hand an unplanned roll left began. Flight was about a second. I claim to have used 60-%70 % throttle, will try again with %40-50? Maybe add a tad of right AIL?

I'll report back, and listen to any ideas. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:50 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. View Post
I didn't make a video, but if you saw the previous video on this thread that was very similar, except we launched almost level. Right after it left the hand an unplanned roll left began. Flight was about a second. I claim to have used 60-%70 % throttle, will try again with %40-50? Maybe add a tad of right AIL?

I'll report back, and listen to any ideas. Thanks.
,sorry to hear. So someone launched for you that is a good start. Experienced? I like a to underarm a low wing, really hard. You need to get some airspeed straight away, and height and be ready to counteract the torque roll. Another thing would be to try some duel rates so you have lots of throw on your surfaces and less expo on launch to give sensitive response then flick the switch to low rates when you are away. I think you want the throttle to get you away you just need to be able to counteract the torque. Good luck, be confident !
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:14 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
agreed , and if the roll is consistent , holding just a bit of rt aileron could be good . we do that w/ some pushers we launch underhanded that seem to do the same .
just a bit and release it shortly after launch.

chuck
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:03 PM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Launch troubles

OK, torque roll on first launch. Here's the current plan for sucess the second time.

1. The rates were set so I could control the plane while at 70mph, I probably need more control at takeoff. Feel free to tell me your DR/Expo #s for takeoff.

2. Less throttle, more throw. I had someone launch it, told them they're almost just releasing it, because I was more arfaid of the strong and wrong huck.

How much airspeed do you guys provide with the throw, would it glide/fly for a few moments to a landing? Kinda like a glide test, is that possible with this plane and normal throw?

3. This time I'm going to launch atop a steep grassy incline near a local lake. Only problem is that by the time I realize I've got the speed and I'm flying....I'm now over the lake. If it rolls or drops of whatever in the first 200ft it crashes on thick grass. Launch spot would be from the "y" on black creek greenway.

http://goo.gl/maps/RDFva

I establish flight, with help of 30' decline, bank left to avoid trees, now flying over lake........ I'm not sure I like this plan.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,206 Posts
Less throttle? Not sure about this, 60-70% sounds about right. Did you feel it was pulling away when you first tried? Right ail sounds good. Launched my friends for him today with more powerful motor and it just climbed out no prob, great ftight with toned down controls although I think the cheap ntm motor is a bit out of balance at full power, prop was good but getting some vibration at wot.
Good luck again. Stay away from the water!!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:25 AM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Less throttle, cause I have to do something quite different. It did pull away, just that it did a huge left roll at the same time. Of course I was giving full right aileron (at %60 rate).

When you launched friends did you THROW it or just release it, or where in between?