HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,876 Posts
Nice work Simon! Did you happen to weigh before and after you used the WBPU? Also, when you say the exit edge is think, are you talking about the trailing edge of the wing?

Can you show close picture of the aileron clevis?

Please give us flight report on how she flies!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Yes... I meant trailing edge... Thanks I just edited my post.

I don't know the weight penalty of the WBPU, but should be pretty low (10 to 20 gr IMO) , the AUW with a 40C 1800 mah 4S is 636 gr.

Tried to make pics of the aileron servo ...see below
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,876 Posts
Thanks Simon.

I see what you mean about the servo linkage. Have you flow it yet? How are the throws?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
No maiden yet... Too much wind and rain...

Throws look good to me, with ailerons that long and such speed, no need for much travel.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CT, Mansfield
Joined Dec 2006
73 Posts
Hi guys.Just putting a red moray together and i noticed that there is about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap between the wing and the fusalage when the wing is bolted on.The gap is fairly uniform on both sides.I was wondering if they are all like that,or do u think it will be a problem.Have'nt flown it yet.Gotta get batts and a receiver.Thanks for any input. Dave
Dave P is offline Find More Posts by Dave P
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
626 Posts
Mine didn't have any gap
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:35 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,274 Posts
Subscribed! Nice thread. Picked up one of these second hand, stock, in good order for a friend of mine who slammed his funfighter into a tree. But to my surprise he turned up the other day with the little rarebear back together flying just as good as ever.
His moray maiden was great but a little underpowered, light with 4s 1600 zippy compact. So glad to hear 35 size motors fit, sounds quite versatile for a cheap foam set up, might have to get one myself.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_875w.html

Just did some quick numbers static for this motor with 1800mah 4s zippy and 7x5 apc. Got no 6s batts so just looking for a little upgrade and no extra lead hopefully. Anyone got a weight on the stock motor? This one is 120g
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Jan 02, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:42 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Hi guys.Just putting a red moray together and i noticed that there is about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap between the wing and the fusalage when the wing is bolted on.The gap is fairly uniform on both sides.I was wondering if they are all like that,or do u think it will be a problem.Have'nt flown it yet.Gotta get batts and a receiver.Thanks for any input. Dave
I just built my Moray last night and I noticed it had a gap along the wing root... I just gave the bolts/screws a few more turns and it finally seated home nicely. Make sure you use the right lenght bolts/screws.
RowdyRod is online now Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:46 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon View Post
Did my usual foamy treatment: 2 to 4 coats of WBPU
Hi Manu Simon, Do you spay on the WBPU or use a brush. And what benifits do you have in coating with WBPU ?
RowdyRod is online now Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:18 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
Hi Manu Simon, Do you spay on the WBPU or use a brush. And what benifits do you have in coating with WBPU ?
I used a brush. WBPU gives a bit of extra protection against hangar rash and help keeping the decals on. It also smoothens the foam surface.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:06 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Subscribed! Nice thread. Picked up one of these second hand, stock, in good order for a friend of mine who slammed his funfighter into a tree. But to my surprise he turned up the other day with the little rarebear back together flying just as good as ever.
His moray maiden was great but a little underpowered, light with 4s 1600 zippy compact. So glad to hear 35 size motors fit, sounds quite versatile for a cheap foam set up, might have to get one myself.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_875w.html

Just did some quick numbers static for this motor with 1800mah 4s zippy and 7x5 apc. Got no 6s batts so just looking for a little upgrade and no extra lead hopefully. Anyone got a weight on the stock motor? This one is 120g
Stock motor is about 110g this ntm 3536 is 126g and is maybe a mm or two out for length. Mounted it up to some IC board, a tight fit but worth it in the end, quite a good performance jump and no extra lead. The 60 amp speedie went up with the battery, again tight. That battery tray that also doubles as the wing mount is a bit of a nuisance in that it can not be removed, but managed to get it all packed in. The moray handled the gusty conditions well, even though one prop got broken on landing. Haven't flown it myself but would buy one and upgrade. Cheap fun.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:58 PM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Need simple, summary advice.

I bought a Moray, then found this thread. My word I'm glad I found this thread. You guys have me so nervous I may never fly this plane. I've just been flying an easy glider for the last few years cause I almost cried when my hotliner flew into a radio void and pretended to be a gopher. Carbon and wires and batteries, guts just laying on and in the ground.

Sorry for that, let's move ON! I got a Moray and I have a few questions posed in order of importance, and YOU guys know the answers.

1. What is my goal CG, do I trust the 50-60 published #? I've heard some say it flys fine (well?) nose heavy. I'm going to average all the #s you guys say unless someone makes a good case.

1a. I had no idea a 4s 1600 would be as heavy as my 3s 2200 (184g). Right now CG with batt all the way back is 35mm. (batt is nanotech 4s 1600 25-50C) Wanted to modify insides VS. add tail weight but not see the obvious method.

2. Launching, Oh man, not too much throttle, not too little, what's just right, in terms of pull or whatever, not % casue if we're talking 6s vs my 4s 25C it's different.

3. My current plane flys as slow as maybe 10mph, slow landings are norm. I'm giong to tip stall if I let my usual habits take over, so got any advice. I was thinking about inducing a stall at alt and then recovering.....does that happen? Do you recover? I'm ignorant bout tip stall.

Thanks yall. This thread has already been very helpful, both for you guys that know what you are doing, and you guys like me, that need some tips.

Oh I want this to work so bad.

If you're still reading, was the WBPU just WBPU, or did he add glass or silk?
Erik S. is offline Find More Posts by Erik S.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:34 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. View Post

3. My current plane flys as slow as maybe 10mph, slow landings are norm. I'm giong to tip stall if I let my usual habits take over, so got any advice. I was thinking about inducing a stall at alt and then recovering.....does that happen? Do you recover? I'm ignorant bout tip stall.
Yes, fly it four mistakes high straight and level. Slow it down as if you are going to land way up in the air. Wait until it stalls. Note the speed, throttle, and angle of attack when the stall occurs. Push the elevator slightly down and add in throttle. Slowly pull back on elevator as she starts to fly again. If the tip stall turns into a fast dive or spin, let go of rudder, nose the plane down and pick up speed, use aileron to correct any roll, and then pull back on elevator as she starts to fly again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. View Post
If you're still reading, was the WBPU just WBPU, or did he add glass or silk?
No, just WBPU brushed on
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:20 PM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2007
71 Posts
Thanks Dead.
Erik S. is offline Find More Posts by Erik S.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:11 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,274 Posts
This is the very plane I bought second hand, flying stock with this battery which came with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=1

You can get an idea of the launch throttle amount from the video

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

My friend who I gave it too found it slower stock, than the rarebear funfighter that he and I fly. I have not flown it, but I have read this entire thread and everything you have read seems about right. The motor upgrade is great, although my friend remaidened without expo and at full rates so his first flight was a bit hairy indeed, in windy conditions, breaking a prop on landing. Apc, which seem a bit fragile. Good luck
Ps not flying spectrum are you?