SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:36 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,328 Posts
another idea, are u sure the ailerons are both neutral ? if so maybe add 2 clicks rt trim? no warps in the wing?

for me, all high power low wingers get launched under hand at least 45* up angle w/ lots of power. this does two things , 1, it lets u hold the plane in front of the cg, so u dont push the tail around on launch, very important. 2, launched at a steep up angle torque roll is just a roll and u have much more time to correct. just make sure u have enough power on for launch , i test and make sure u have well over 1to 1 power to weight by holding the plane straight up and adjust the throttle until it wants to strongly pull out of your hand. this way , holding ahead of the cg , the launch is all in the wrist, no throw at all.

on launch just be ready to hit rt aileron hard, the good news is the plane is gaining height quick so again , more time to react.

hope this helps, it's easier than it sounds.

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:33 AM
OD123ify Snake
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Thanks all

Thanks all I will use all that advice,I will post when I get to fly again.
Morodie is online now Find More Posts by Morodie
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morodie View Post
Thanks all I will use all that advice,I will post when I get to fly again.
If it makes you feel better I have hit the ground like you about 10 times already...not been very successful flying much...longest flight of maybe 10 seconds. always been able to glue it back together.

I have reduced the throws on the aileron and put a smaller battery 3s1300mah
and things balance right so I am very hopeful...

Anyone had luck with disabling the ESC BRAKE functionallity...had already 10 props broken off which I think would not have happened as much without brake function.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Last edited by fbitz777; Oct 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
OD123ify Snake
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Moray

Sorry to hear about the 10 times in the dirt,thanks again to all for the advice,im going to try the underhand toss with a 1800mah4s i will post the results,im feeling good about it now. Its such a nice bird i hate to smash it.....

Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:49 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
benefits brake on/off; manuals Freewing ESCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
If it makes you feel better I have hit the ground like you about 10 times already...not been very successful flying much...longest flight of maybe 10 seconds. always been able to glue it back together.

I have reduced the throws on the aileron and put a smaller battery 3s1300mah
and things balance right so I am very hopeful...

Anyone had luck with disabling the ESC BRAKE functionallity...had already 10 props broken off which I think would not have happened as much without brake function.
I guess that in crashes it doesn't make much difference if brake is on or off.
In normal landings, the planes will glider faster with the brake on because there
is less resistance than a windmilling prop. It will glide for longer. Usually,
in a fast model, the brake cannot stop the prop from turning when the plane still
has a lot of speed in the landing approach, but then you should be able to see
which way the prop is standing, before touching down. If it is not more ore less
horizontal, you go for another landing approach. So for some, having brake on
has actually two benefits, better gliding w/ motor off, and knowing exactly how
the prop stands in the landing. Others prefer the braking (!) of a prop windmilling,
and think that they wouldn't want to bother about prop position so they hope
the prop will just move away.
Programming: In many ESC the brake is the first option, and implemented as
a toggle switch: you choose the option, and there is brake if there was non
before, and vice versa. Had it also as the third menu point in one HK ESC.
So you have to look on the web for thre right Freewing ESC manual and try,
maybe it's that one, if not, do a Google search, you'll find it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564066
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
I was hoping to maiden mine before winter, but last weekend my son's baseball game got in the way of that, now we have storm Sandy in the way. Crossing my fingers for good weather before winter
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,864 Posts
Just watched Your Video...Here's what you need to do...take the up trim off your elevator...make sure the elevator is level on the launch....with up trim and a roll your doomed each time...if you have up trim even just a little....once your inverted..your then going down...other than giving it left throw and continue the roll to the up right position as well as some down trim...which will make it stop diving to a crash...What I saw was your attempt to recover...way too late....once it starts the roll..hit your Aileron on more left...which completes the roll very fast...I believe you were trying to resist the roll...

Your problem is too much throttle....Especially when there is No breeze ...You want just enough throttle that it wants to pull from your hand....in other words enough power that you think is enough to sustain flight....after you launch...and your flying...which will be slow...then throttle up slowly.....another trick is to compensate for your Power if your having a problem not knowing what speed is right for Launch is to put a bout 1/8" trim up on the right side..that will help sustain a level launch.....then prepare to trim it back to level after you gain some altitude..

You've got a light Plane..and too much power causing the torque roll...if you don't compensate...you'll continue the Bad Launches...

Your Launch attack is fine....I like to throw at the 11:00 angle..this gives me time to make up for torque when you've gone over recommended power setup for any bird..Hope this helps you...its a trick to learn when your over powering a bird...You can do it...
If you can't ...then you should downsize your Propeller...Bottom line...your torque'in..gotta make up for that force..
Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
OD123ify Snake
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Thanks man thats great stuff,will do
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:40 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,328 Posts
agreed, if u have up trim get rid of it!! unless there is a inherent known problem w/ the airframe all surfaces should be at neutral , from there maybe a click or 2 rt .

this one should not take much of a throw, if the throttle is correct. and once again, if u tend to throw it, holding in front of the cg will help u from pushing it off course. in this case the under hand just seems more natural due to the low wing.

good luck,

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
I do have a much better launch with the under hand toss with my F-86. I will see how it goes with this plane once I get to maiden it. I will probably try the underhand first.

Morodie,
make sure to get yourself a neck strap. It helps get your hands back on the controls fast.
Sky_Captain is online now Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:08 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Well boys as promised I got my flight in today on 6s HOLLY crap is this plane fast it sounds like an F1 car. It still fly’s awesome with my setup! Super happy with the speed I think I am around 140+mph but I will have my friend use a radar gun this weekend to prove it I used a 7x5apc and it ripps. After I landed I checked the esc and motor was not as warm as I was thinking it would be. I highly recommend my setup wow......

This is the last 3 big laps i did in the video enjoy. Sorry its with my iphon!

http://youtu.be/_tNWVcrjnQQ

Hey Ollian, could you tell me ...

1. The weight of your 6S pack that you ran in the vid?
2. Your AUW with this setup?
3. Your amp draw with this setup? (I'm assuming you used the 7x5 APC)
4. How was the torque roll on your launch?
5. Approximately how much throttle did you launch at?
6. Underhand launch?

Sorry for all the questions but yours is extremely similar to the setup that I had in mind when I first heard of this plane (before I came across this thread) about two weeks ago so this info would really help me out.

Thanks!

Colin
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Hey Ollian, could you tell me ...

1. The weight of your 6S pack that you ran in the vid?
2. Your AUW with this setup?
3. Your amp draw with this setup? (I'm assuming you used the 7x5 APC)
4. How was the torque roll on your launch?
5. Approximately how much throttle did you launch at?
6. Underhand launch?

Sorry for all the questions but yours is extremely similar to the setup that I had in mind when I first heard of this plane (before I came across this thread) about two weeks ago so this info would really help me out.

Thanks!

Colin
Hey colin this is the lipo i use for my hot setup http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-1200-6s1p.html

What is AUW? And with the motor and lipo i use i max out with a 7x5apc prop at 105amp 2050watts but then it drops. I have my friend lanch the plane but i always launch planes over hand and have never done it underhand. And i use 1/2 throttle when i launch and it pulls out of your hand. My plane dont torque roll much at all. People have been having problems but not me On my 4s setup using 1800mah i use 3/4 trottle. Good luck
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
292 Posts
To Morodie:

Take a look at Jason Cole from Hobby Lobby launching the Moray in this video and do exactly what he does and you'll be fine. Notice the sound of the motor and prop: he is not using anywhere near as much throttle as you're using. Easy peasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=5mVTZfdv5to#!
Jabberwocky_ is offline Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:08 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Hey colin this is the lipo i use for my hot setup http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-1200-6s1p.html

What is AUW? And with the motor and lipo i use i max out with a 7x5apc prop at 105amp 2050watts but then it drops. I have my friend lanch the plane but i always launch planes over hand and have never done it underhand. And i use 1/2 throttle when i launch and it pulls out of your hand. My plane dont torque roll much at all. People have been having problems but not me On my 4s setup using 1800mah i use 3/4 trottle. Good luck
105amps! Wow ... what kind of flight duration are you getting with that kind of amp draw? BTW, "AUW" means "all up weight" aka "flying weight". So what is the weight of your plane with that hot setup?

Colin.

P.S. Thanks for the help by the way!
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,068 Posts
So what's the deal with BH removing lipo? Are they charging shipping? Is it better to buy from hobby lobby?

Oh yeah
What about a folding prop?
For landings that is
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC