HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Canopy looks terrible , the rest of the specs are no different than 99% of the other micro quads out there at half the price of this.

It can use anylink .... big whoop.. doesnt mean the price should effectively double.
i guess it is nice to work at a hobby shop because my cost on these guys is less than $50 just like all the rest of the cheap quads. and i get a free anylink with the purchase of any anylink compatable plane or copter.

this is still the cheapest micro quad copter that you can use your own radio on. This is the first super micro quad (direct drive motor, tiny props)that you can bind to any Tx. so you can actually program out all the insane Expo and D/R that is put into the software of the boards. and now the quad will fly better than all the other quads combined. so for an extra $30 that isnt a bad deal in my opinion. and a flying mosquito will be a lot of fun flying around at full speed with no expo

i converted my mqx to use the small arms and direct drive and it is a blast to fly around so the 1sq will be nice to have ready go with no modding out of the box other than expo and D/R

and a lot of people will get these at thier local hobby shop and prevent the shipping cost
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Sep 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
i guess it is nice to work at a hobby shop because my cost on these guys is less than $50 just like all the rest of the cheap quads. and i get a free anylink with the purchase of any anylink compatable plane or copter.

this is still the cheapest micro quad copter that you can use your own radio on. This is the first super micro quad (direct drive motor, tiny props)that you can bind to any Tx. so you can actually program out all the insane Expo and D/R that is put into the software of the boards. and now the quad will fly better than all the other quads combined. so for an extra $30 that isnt a bad deal in my opinion. and a flying mosquito will be a lot of fun flying around at full speed with no expo

i converted my mqx to use the small arms and direct drive and it is a blast to fly around so the 1sq will be nice to have ready go with no modding out of the box other than expo and D/R

and a lot of people will get these at thier local hobby shop and prevent the shipping cost
Ummm 929/939 and one other can be used with the 9x I already own, and all three are much cheaper than this quad so that statement is definitely not true.

I would also say that "fly better than all the other quads combined" is also a patently false statement. 1) You haven't flown one, it could suck. 2) All of the 9x compatible quads have the same abilities as this quad, and again, for less money.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Ummm 929/939 and one other can be used with the 9x I already own, and all three are much cheaper than this quad so that statement is definitely not true.

I would also say that "fly better than all the other quads combined" is also a patently false statement. 1) You haven't flown one, it could suck. 2) All of the 9x compatible quads have the same abilities as this quad, and again, for less money.
with anylink you dont need to buy another tx. if i were to buy the 929 or the 939 i would need to buy a new tx because i dont use a 9x. if you have anylink no matter what tx you use you dont need to buy a new one if it is a decent tx to begin with.
i tend to spend more money for a quality product and i like to know that they are interchangeable and not like Apple where everything is proprietary. i enjoy compatability and i can get that with this quad and i have not been able to get that from any other quad aside from the MQX because i use a spektrum module as well as fasst and frysky and they all work in my futaba radio like they should.
and yes i hope to get a tiny sport flier that will not be good for a beginer but a biginer should just spend the $40 and buy the quads with all the crap expo in them but if you want something that is a challenge and can continue to push the edge the you should spend the extra $30 and get what you pay for that is all i have been saying. the ability to get parts from a well know usa distributor is worth the extra $30 to me even if it was the exact same thing as the cheap from china stuff but it isnt because it can be used with a quality tx

"fly better than all the other quads combined" would be a true statement because i can move my stick half way to the left or right on my mqx and the thing will do a flip since i programed out all the expo if you take aany of the other stock setups and move the stick all the way left or right you will get a controlled slide that is not what i am after as a sport flier.

and i consider the 9x tx a crap tx . it might do some of the same stuff but the quality of the software just can not compare to futaba, hitec,or even spektrum and i say spektrum lightly
you get what you pay for in most circumstances
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
with anylink you dont need to buy another tx. if i were to buy the 929 or the 939 i would need to buy a new tx because i dont use a 9x. if you have anylink no matter what tx you use you dont need to buy a new one if it is a decent tx to begin with.
i tend to spend more money for a quality product and i like to know that they are interchangeable and not like Apple where everything is proprietary. i enjoy compatability and i can get that with this quad and i have not been able to get that from any other quad aside from the MQX because i use a spektrum module as well as fasst and frysky and they all work in my futaba radio like they should.
and yes i hope to get a tiny sport flier that will not be good for a beginer but a biginer should just spend the $40 and buy the quads with all the crap expo in them but if you want something that is a challenge and can continue to push the edge the you should spend the extra $30 and get what you pay for that is all i have been saying. the ability to get parts from a well know usa distributor is worth the extra $30 to me even if it was the exact same thing as the cheap from china stuff but it isnt because it can be used with a quality tx

"fly better than all the other quads combined" would be a true statement because i can move my stick half way to the left or right on my mqx and the thing will do a flip since i programed out all the expo if you take aany of the other stock setups and move the stick all the way left or right you will get a controlled slide that is not what i am after as a sport flier.

and i consider the 9x tx a crap tx . it might do some of the same stuff but the quality of the software just can not compare to futaba, hitec,or even spektrum and i say spektrum lightly
you get what you pay for in most circumstances
Its true that you get what you pay for. And FYI the v929 and v939 come RTF. No tx needed. Also, some people buy cheap stuff because that is the only way they can afford to be in the hobby. Just because you buy all the most expensive stuff doesn't mean you should hate on people with less money to spend
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
516 Posts
With the er9x software on the 9x it is a different machine. Its advantage is that software is continually being improved. Its capabilities are what the users want.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
with anylink you dont need to buy another tx. if i were to buy the 929 or the 939 i would need to buy a new tx because i dont use a 9x. if you have anylink no matter what tx you use you dont need to buy a new one if it is a decent tx to begin with.
That isn't what you said though. Your words were, and I quote, "this is still the cheapest micro quad copter that you can use your own radio on." Either you assumed wrongly what radio I specifically own, or you were making a generalization. Either way you were wrong.
Quote:
i tend to spend more money for a quality product and i like to know that they are interchangeable and not like Apple where everything is proprietary. i enjoy compatability and i can get that with this quad and i have not been able to get that from any other quad aside from the MQX because i use a spektrum module as well as fasst and frysky and they all work in my futaba radio like they should.
Again, just because you own a specific radio does not mean this quad outflies everything else. Actually, they are totally unrelated. As far as not proprietary, FASST, DSM, frsky, etc are all proprietary protocols. There are currently no popular open protocols, but the closest (as in one that has been best reverse engineered) is the flysky/9x protocol. So again, your point is invalid.
Quote:
and yes i hope to get a tiny sport flier that will not be good for a beginer but a biginer should just spend the $40 and buy the quads with all the crap expo in them but if you want something that is a challenge and can continue to push the edge the you should spend the extra $30 and get what you pay for that is all i have been saying. the ability to get parts from a well know usa distributor is worth the extra $30 to me even if it was the exact same thing as the cheap from china stuff but it isnt because it can be used with a quality tx
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying, if I may paraphrase, that somebody should spend extra money in order to not have expo and variable rates. Say what? If you don't want expo and variable rates you are not looking for a programmable radio, and would be much happier with a toy transmitter. The only reason to get a programmable radio for a quad is for dual rates and expo.

The more these micro quads catch on the more US distributors will pop up, I can already buy parts or entire rtf or bnf 929s in the USA, again for less money. The extra money you pay for this quad is because the Chinese manufacturer needs to make money and then your US reseller needs to make money. They're all made in the same place, you're choosing to add a middle man to make your costs rise. Probably not a good reason to brag, few people brag about how much more they paid than someone else for the same product.

Quote:
"fly better than all the other quads combined" would be a true statement because i can move my stick half way to the left or right on my mqx and the thing will do a flip since i programed out all the expo if you take aany of the other stock setups and move the stick all the way left or right you will get a controlled slide that is not what i am after as a sport flier.
Again clearly you have no idea what you are talking about and have never flown anything but an mqx. Anyone that owns a "clone" quad can tell you that flips are much much easier to do, and by getting a real tx and taking advantage of expo and dual rates you can match the mqx in performance easily.

Quote:
and i consider the 9x tx a crap tx . it might do some of the same stuff but the quality of the software just can not compare to futaba, hitec,or even spektrum and i say spektrum lightly
you get what you pay for in most circumstances
Funny you say that, look at the feature list of any modern radio and compare it to the list of features of er9x. Look at upgrade options for your expensive radios and then look at how easy it is to upgrade firmware on a 9x. Not only does it do "some" of the same stuff, it does everything all of your radios do and more.

So let's see, other than you have more money than intellect, what exactly were you trying to say?
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Where do you get v929 parts in the USA?
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:53 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Tmart has some in their US warehouse (sometimes) and last time I looked parts could be sourced on eBay from the US as well. However with the price of the quad buying a bnf actually makes more sense than buying parts in most situations.

However, there are very few parts not directly swappable with an mqx, so your LHS also probably carries most of the parts you need.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Okay. Thanks
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
That isn't what you said though. Your words were, and I quote, "this is still the cheapest micro quad copter that you can use your own radio on." Either you assumed wrongly what radio I specifically own, or you were making a generalization. Either way you were wrong.

Again, just because you own a specific radio does not mean this quad outflies everything else. Actually, they are totally unrelated. As far as not proprietary, FASST, DSM, frsky, etc are all proprietary protocols. There are currently no popular open protocols, but the closest (as in one that has been best reverse engineered) is the flysky/9x protocol. So again, your point is invalid.

I think you have no idea what you're talking about. You are saying, if I may paraphrase, that somebody should spend extra money in order to not have expo and variable rates. Say what? If you don't want expo and variable rates you are not looking for a programmable radio, and would be much happier with a toy transmitter. The only reason to get a programmable radio for a quad is for dual rates and expo.

The more these micro quads catch on the more US distributors will pop up, I can already buy parts or entire rtf or bnf 929s in the USA, again for less money. The extra money you pay for this quad is because the Chinese manufacturer needs to make money and then your US reseller needs to make money. They're all made in the same place, you're choosing to add a middle man to make your costs rise. Probably not a good reason to brag, few people brag about how much more they paid than someone else for the same product.


Again clearly you have no idea what you are talking about and have never flown anything but an mqx. Anyone that owns a "clone" quad can tell you that flips are much much easier to do, and by getting a real tx and taking advantage of expo and dual rates you can match the mqx in performance easily.


Funny you say that, look at the feature list of any modern radio and compare it to the list of features of er9x. Look at upgrade options for your expensive radios and then look at how easy it is to upgrade firmware on a 9x. Not only does it do "some" of the same stuff, it does everything all of your radios do and more.

So let's see, other than you have more money than intellect, what exactly were you trying to say?
i am saying this quad will be better suited for people like myself that want to have the ability to program thier own tx for mor of a sport flier that responds to your stick movements as soon as you make them. if you want a trainer then fly the stock with all the expo but for myself and others that is not enough.
i have flown all the quads you have mentioned here and i can say they all have to much expo programmed into the software(to mushy in respect to cotrol input). just like the MQX and I program neg expo to them with my radio to remove the squishy feeling. for those quads that i can not do this with they are nothing other than toys and have no hobby value for me and many others like me.
I have never said that there is a proplem with other people buying the cheap quads but for you to bash this quad which does have the added feature of using ANY tx. and this is the only quad in this catagorey that allows you to just that without doing some creative soldering to get another tx to work.(i have done this)

i prefer my brushless quads but when i dont have the time or the area to fly those i enjoy bringing out my MQX and really pushing it to do all it can. I know quads and have been flying them for awhile now and building them from scratch so i know that having the option to use a tx you are familiar with is pobably something that can make someone stick with this hobby instead of getting discouraged.

and as far as the 9x goes I dont want to go to night school to be able to read the poor combination of chinese and english they call there manual. I have set up several 9x's to work with quads(naza,kk2.0, and a diy multiwii) because people bring them to my hobby shop for me to program them since they dont understand the instructions. the er9x fimware is going in a good direction but with new updates and such you need to be on top of the subject so you know you are running the best firmware available.
i dont pay a lot for anything i use i just look for good deals on here and i do get my stuff at cost through my work if i need but usually i get better deals from the forums. i paid $40 mor for my futaba 9chp than i could have bought a turnigy 9x for.

my point over this entire discusion is just to say you are so caught up on this quad being the same as all the others that you are missing that it is not like any other because tx makes a world of diff.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
An MQX is a totally different deal. It is made by HH. The quad we are talking about is made by heli-max. That means that no matter what is said I will never buy one
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
this is the first quad of its kind to allow the use of any tx

i can also buy the fc board and put it on any of the other brushed counterparts and use any tx on any bird i want.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanek View Post
An MQX is a totally different deal. It is made by HH. The quad we are talking about is made by heli-max. That means that no matter what is said I will never buy one
i know what we are talking about. and i see why you dont support this quad (you have problems with the company not this product)
my mqx has been converted to be the same as this. it has 4 direct drive motors on 1.5" booms and the lady bird props. when i get these at my shop i will be getting one to use and i will convert my mqx back to its original state.
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
@theone: I missed that part, when you pointed it out I acknowledged that it was an interesting feature. You went on to bash every other micro/mini quad and claimed they were inferior. For someone that doesn't own a 9x that may be true, but many people do (this is a radio that sells out on HK within minutes of becoming available quite often) and then you don't need something dangling off of your transmitter to fly a similarly performing quad, and can spend much less on the hobby as an addition.

Also, since you are using the word expo like marketers use the buzzword cloud, I will point out that expo is normally a transmitter feature, and most of these quads use 0 expo on their tx (ie: on my 929 0 expo flies exactly like the stock tx). Using negative expo means you are taming down the sticks toward the middle. This is something that, in general, would not increase your sport flying because most of your resolution is wasted toward the middle and extreme stick movements are much less precise.

As far as sticking with a hobby and not getting discouraged: which is a bigger barrier to entry? Are you proposing that $50 for a hobby tx and $30 for a quad is harder to get to for a beginner than a $400 radio and a $60 quad? I'm confused now.

I agree that for people that have txs that are not 9x or DSM this is probably your best bet for a first quad. I will not agree that this makes the quad somehow perform better though, or simply by virtue is better than other quads on the market.

How it flies remains to be seen but I suspect you won't find reviews saying it is the best micro quad out there by any mqx or 92x owners. It is great for a specific set of people but those people generally (judging by amount spent on a radio) can afford something bigger and better than any of the rtf quads can provide.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
Chad
TheOne420's Avatar
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,759 Posts
never said they were inferior i said they were toys to me
well i am just going by experience. when i say hobby i mean multirotors. I work at the local hobby shop and i am going by what my customers tell me and that is they want to be able to use there tx on anything new they buy because they have so many tx's already. so why force them to buy a rtf when all they want is is a small quad that can be flown in there house or outside on a whim and there is no reason why it hasnt been done yet.

I think I know what expo is and have noticed the boards that i have been able to tweak with a decent tx tend to respond much better if you put neg expo in them(try it with your 9x).I dont know why for sure but this leads me to believe that the software that is put on these boards carries a bit of programming that adds expo to any responce that the board receives(the reason your 929 flies the same with either tx) therefore the correct neg expo from a tx will be made to a expo closer to zero by the fc board software. atleast that is what i have noticed from my expo tweaking. if it is fact I dont know but it works for me.

And i have no doubts that this quad is just like all the rest as far as specs go except it has one nice feature that i have not seen on any quad of its type, it can be used with any tx. and this is what will make it sale more than any of the other micro quads my shop carries. It is what the consumer wants. dont get me wrong i am not the consumer this is marketed to(i still by kits not arfs) but my customers are and they will like the feature and the price.

i have a lot of people that have been flying planes and helis for years and
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Last edited by TheOne420; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Heli-Max 480 4300kV High Perf Brushless Heli Motor boots.isa Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 22, 2012 10:02 PM
Discussion New Release Heli-Max Novus FP 200 Heli Gym Flight wnppmy Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 20 May 30, 2012 07:40 PM
Sold Heli-Max Blade Balancer/COG $12 SOLD themadhatter196 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Feb 28, 2012 08:23 PM
Sold Heli-Max Novus CP Clavin01 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 6 Feb 24, 2012 03:55 PM
Sold 4 Heli-Max Helis (2) Heli-Max Novus Huey 1-D Coax & (2) Helix-Max Novus FP 125 Sea Planes Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Oct 17, 2011 06:01 PM