Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:19 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.BOWERS View Post
Some 1SQ flying in my side yard.

Nice! I wish we had that weather here too....
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:26 AM
D.R.B.
EAST TN.
Joined Oct 2007
264 Posts
I have been flying outside on good weather days and inside on the bad days. I have been wanting to get into quadcopters for some time now and thought I would give it a try. I really like flying the 1SQ with my DX7. As fun goes, it is giving my fixed wing planes a run for the money.
D.R.BOWERS is offline Find More Posts by D.R.BOWERS
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:36 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
I have been flying outside on good weather days and inside on the bad days. I have been wanting to get into quadcopters for some time now and thought I would give it a try. I really like flying the 1SQ with my DX7. As fun goes, it is giving my fixed wing planes a run for the money.
I absolutely agree - the 1SQ is a blast. I have both helis and planes and I think that the stick skills complement each other and the 1SQ can be flown almost anywhere/anytime so you can keep your fingers in practice. Additionally, the light weight of a smaller model like the 1SQ keeps it from being damaged as easily so you can try things that you might afraid to try with something larger and more expensive!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:17 PM
D.R.B.
EAST TN.
Joined Oct 2007
264 Posts
O.K. I have been flying my 1SQ and loving it and since this is my first quadcopter I was wondering if there is anyone on this thread that has flown a Blade mqx that could compare flying characteristics of the two.

Thanks.
Dale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:07 AM
Air Bender
Joined Jan 2013
102 Posts
Quote:
O.K. I have been flying my 1SQ and loving it and since this is my first quadcopter I was wondering if there is anyone on this thread that has flown a Blade mqx that could compare flying characteristics of the two.

Thanks.
Dale
I have both and fly them pretty much daily. I enjoy both but I feel the 1sq is quicker in forward flight, turns better, and is less affected by wind.
bmilla39 is offline Find More Posts by bmilla39
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:17 AM
Joined Mar 2006
769 Posts
Quote:
i'm suppose to go fly tomorrow with a group in a gym... thinking about picking up the AL for my DX7. Wish my wires came in for my Armattan
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:56 PM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
Dale
I have both. And there the same. I fly the 1SQ inside the the MQX outside. (For now, have an Armattan on the way ) The tricky part is setting them up to behave the same in your TX if using your own. But both use a 3 axis gyro system. Also have the QR1 and it flys different.

Cheers
Stef

P.S. Too bad you can't show off the Armattan in the gym. I'd be bribing my LHS to help me out.

P.S.S. My friend put his 1SQ arms and motors on his MQX for fun. It's got alot of jam. lol
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Last edited by superfets; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:08 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
643 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfets View Post
I have both. And there the same. I fly the 1SQ inside the the MQX outside. (For now, have an Armattan on the way ) The tricky part is setting them up to behave the same in your TX if using your own. But both use a 3 axis gyro system. Also have the QR1 and it flys different.

Cheers
Stef
@!Dale
I also have both. I have not flown the mQX as much simply because of weather (I've done more indoor flying in my house where the 1SQ is simply a better "fit"). When I have flown the mQX in conditions that are not too windy it probably feels slightly more stable than the 1SQ simply due to it's larger size/mass. By the same token, however, it is also therefore not quite as nimble. With sudden moves (like a flip for example) or if the wind is gusty I have occasionally had the mQX develop kind of a shudder, presumably as the gyros try to keep things under control. It's not a big deal but it can be a little unsettling. The 1SQ handles wind pretty well because it's so small there isn't much surface area for the wind to catch, but it also has less brute power than the mQX imo. I have flown the 1SQ in 10-15 mph (est.) gusty winds and while it was fun. I'm not sure if I'd do that with the mQX or not. The mQX does care my keychain camera with ease which can be fun.

@Stef
I'd be curious to know how you have tweaked your settings between the two. Different DR/Expo? Different throttle curves? I haven't done enough playing around yet to get to that point so any information you could share would be appreciated!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:27 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,759 Posts
I just got the 1SQ and the anylink module for my Futaba 9C radio. The problem is I can't get it to bind. I turn on the radio with the throttle at minimum. Plug in the 1SQ and hold the bind button for 5 seconds. The LED next to the bind button continues to blink rapidly and moving the Tx controls does nothing.

Any ideas?
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:36 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
I just got the 1SQ and the anylink module for my Futaba 9C radio. The problem is I can't get it to bind. I turn on the radio with the throttle at minimum. Plug in the 1SQ and hold the bind button for 5 seconds. The LED next to the bind button continues to blink rapidly and moving the Tx controls does nothing.

Any ideas?
See post 1170 on page 72 for some information about what I've observe/done to get a bind. A couple people (myself included) have noticed some oddness about binding if the screws holding the main board to the frame are tightened unevenly so that the board it twisted also. Do you have the RTF Tx and, if so, can you bind to it successfully?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
man i love flying this bird! Plus it can handle quiet a bit of wind! The other day i was flying it in 25mph winds and it was able to stay afloat!
pa4ul is online now Find More Posts by pa4ul
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:23 PM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
@Stef
I'd be curious to know how you have tweaked your settings between the two. Different DR/Expo? Different throttle curves? I haven't done enough playing around yet to get to that point so any information you could share would be appreciated!
I'm using a DX8, and have 3 f-modes set up for DR/Expo on each. Mild, Wild and INSANE. There both set up differently. And I'm continuously messing with them. It's been a trial and error process. But here's where i'm at.

MQX - Travel set to max on all flight modes, 150% on my radio, D/R - F1@35, F2@66, F3@125. Expo at 20 on all three. and Gyro inhibited.

1SQ - Travel set to max on all flight modes, 150% on my radio, D/R-EXPO F1 @ 80/35, F2 @65/30, F3 @ 100/70. Gyro - F1 @ 25, F2 @ 45, F3 @ 70.

Not sure if that helps, but that's where I'm at and will be changing it again i'm sure.

Cheers
Stef
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:28 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
See post 1170 on page 72 for some information about what I've observe/done to get a bind. A couple people (myself included) have noticed some oddness about binding if the screws holding the main board to the frame are tightened unevenly so that the board it twisted also. Do you have the RTF Tx and, if so, can you bind to it successfully?
Thanks for the info. Did you mean post 1070? I tried that procedure a couple dozen times and one of those times the motors started pulsing. Full power for a couple seconds. Off for a couple seconds. Over and over. Probably got it in some weird mode.

I did try loosening the screws to see it that helped. No luck.

I don't have the RTF Tx.

Bruce
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
Thanks for the info. Did you mean post 1070? I tried that procedure a couple dozen times and one of those times the motors started pulsing. Full power for a couple seconds. Off for a couple seconds. Over and over. Probably got it in some weird mode.

I did try loosening the screws to see it that helped. No luck.

I don't have the RTF Tx.

Bruce
I'm using an RTF with a JR XP652 Tx and Anylink

What I've noticed is that if you wait for anything longer than about 1-2 seconds before pressing the bind button on the 1SQ board AFTER plugging in the battery you will not get it to bind.

This is what I've been doing since figuring that out and have been able to bounce back and forth between stock Tx and Anylink without issue EVERY TIME

1. Turn on your Tx with Anylink (Make sure throttle stick is at 0)
2, Have the 1SQ with battery connector barely seated so that it can be plugged in one handed.
3. Other hand with finger hovering over the Bind button BUT NOT pressing it
4. Plug in the battery
5. AS SOON as the lights on the board come on PRESS AND HOLD the bind button for at least 3 seconds and you should get a bind.

It seems that if the board makes it to Gyro init then the BIND function will not work..

It's kind of like trying to get into the BIOS on a PC by getting that F10, F2 or DEL in at the right moment when it boots.

Hope this helps..

Good luck
Zellot is offline Find More Posts by Zellot
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:46 PM
D.R.B.
EAST TN.
Joined Oct 2007
264 Posts
Thanks to all for the info. I am loving my 1SQ but was thinking that the bigger geared blades would give it more torque and make it able to carry a fpv camera. I did not think that it would be as maneuverable as the 1SQ. I was just wondering if it would be worth buying the MQX.

Thanks.
Dale