HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Discussion
#41 Modle Airplane Building Clinic >> Florio Flyer 40 <<

This is a build log for the Florio flyer 40 done as part of a Model Airplane Building Clinic. The link to the Clinics thread is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1704076&pp=25 .
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
I have seen the Florio Flyers in action, and when Great Flyer R/C started doing the kits again, I just had to have one. John Florio Kitted planes in the 70s and 80s, The Nifty 50, Florio flyers 40 and 60, and the stunt wagon. Great Flyer R/C has re kitted them http://greatflyerrc.com/ . These planes are very strong and very light. Jim Florio, Johns son, sold some kits after his fathers passing until health problems forced him to quit, he then sold the rights to Great Flyer R/C. The kit is top notch and at our club there are still plenty of old Florio airplanes in the air every weekend. Great flying airplane. I will be building the plane as an electric and hope to keep it under 4 lbs. All the Balsa is provided, and the airplane is built like a Tank with Maple engine rails (which I will cut down for electric), 3/16" solid sheet for sides, bulkheads, and tailfeathers. Top and bottom sheeting is 1/16" installed cross grain. The wood is top quality and very light, all the pieces for the fuselage come out to 8 1/2 oz. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:19 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
It isn't the 29th, so I haven't started gluing yet, but I have been busy. I have 2 designs for the electric conversion pretty much done. Made a new firewall out of 1/4" ply instead of the 1/8" in the kit to mount the motor as I will not be using the Maple Engine mount rails. I cut a opening in bulkhead #3 to allow room for the battery. In one design I can put the battery in from the front, but I am going to have to mount it at at a angle using a short battery tray. 1/3 of the battery will hang out over empty air so I am going to Velcro the tray and strap the battery down, should hold for some pretty rough maneuvers? The second design is much more simple but I will have to remove the wing to change batteries, also I will have more adjustment for the c/g. Right now I am favoring design 2. John
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Started to glue the fuselage together today. I had previously marked the fuselage sides for each bulkhead (former) by laying the sides on the plans and drawing lines for each bulkhead. The next step was to lay the right fuse side on a flat surface and glue on bulkheads 2 and 5 with thin CA ensuring they are at 90 degrees by using a square. I put the left fuse side on a flat surface and set the right side, bulkheads down onto it, aligning the marks, and the front, back and side to side using the square. After I was satisfied everything was square I applied the CA. The next step was to glue the tail sections together. I sanded a slight bevel on the inside of each tail section as a mating surface, marked the center of bulkheads 2 and 5, pinched the tail sections together moving them to align with the marks on the two bulkheads (I used a yardstick with a line down the center) and bonded them with thin CA. The hard work is now done as everything should be aligned. Bulkhead 3 gives strength to the Landing Gear blocks and bulkhead 4 gives strength to the servo tray, they were attached with thin CA. The method I used when epoxying the plywood firewall to the balsa fuselage sides is to use a T Pin to poke holes into the balsa at the bonding surface (don't go the whole way through), coat the balsa with thin CA and then epoxy the firewall to the fuselage. This makes a super strong bond, and as the the fuselage sides are 3/16" balsa I am not even going to use triangle stock for reinforcement. The weight of the fuselage as it now sits is 3 5/8 oz, I am pleased with the weight. John
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:18 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Did the landing gear blocks and the battery and servo trays today. The landing gear is unique (check out the picture on post 2), and the landing gear blocks are two 1/4"x3/4"x3" plywood strips which are epoxyed into notches cut into the fuselage sides with a plywood doubler epoxied on the inside fuse sides. I marked the location for the battery tray and cut the pieces I need. The kit came with two 3/16" balsa motor mount dampeners which are perfect for mounting the front half of the battery tray. I cut the dampeners to the size I needed and attached them to the fuselage sides with thick CA. I cut a piece of 1/16" plywood sized to fit, coated the top surface with thin CA and attached a piece of Velcro (the sticky back of the Velcro attach's better if the surface has a dried CA coating). For the rear half of the battery tray, I cut two piece from the Maple engine rails and epoxyed them on top of each landing gear block. The plywood tray will be epoxyed onto the Maple rails after the wing mounts are done. Two servo rail cradles came with the kit. I had to adjust the notches so that the rails fit the HS 225 s that I am using. Used thick CA to attach the cradles to the fuselage side, and epoxyed the rails in the correct location. The landing gear blocks, the battery tray with Velcro, and the servo tray added 1 7/8 oz bringing the weight up to 5 1/2 oz. John
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
I got the bottom fuselage sheeted today, and installed the Golden Rod for the tail feathers. When installing the Golden Rod I ensured that the control rods would line up perfectly with the servos before I glued the sheaths to the bulkheads. Before I sheeted the bottom I painted the battery compartment and made a mounting area for the ESC. The Castle Ice Lite 75 that I was planning on using was too big and bulky, so I used an old Extreme Flight Airboss 60 ah ESC that I had laying around, it fits perfectly. John
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:41 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Very nice. Should be a good one.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:46 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Thanks Jim. I finished sheeting the fuselage today, and test fit the vertical stabilizer so I could sheet the area around it. I put covering on the tank (battery compartment) walls, and the inside of the 1/2" balsa nose cheeks before I glued them on with thick CA. The fuselage is basically done so I test fit the tailfeathers for a photo shoot and a weight check. The weight with the tail feathers (including rudder and elevator not pictured) is 10 5/8 oz. A bit heavy but, after all, the thing IS built like a Mack Truck. It looks like I added 2 1/8 oz with the heavier firewall, battery tray, and glue. John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:28 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
I guess I have been putting off starting on the wing ( I did tape the plans on the building board). Decided to do the Landing Gear today. Drilled the holes for the L/G straps and mounted the two L/G wires to the fuselage. I wrapped some copper wire around the two sections and soldered them together. This setup makes a strong light landing gear, but it did add 5 1/2 oz (including the wheels). John
Last edited by jbrooks01; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:47 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
I decided to Cowboy Up and start the wing today, but I didn't get much done. I weighed the material for the wing and it came out to 13 1/2 oz. I finished cutting out the notches in each rib for the spars (stringers), 1/4" x 1/4" for the forward spars and 3/16" x 3/16" for the aft spars. Pined a spar to the plans and started bonding with thin CA. I got the spars done on one wing, enough for today. If you noticed my cutting surface it is a glass Coffee Table top that I picked up at the local Goodwill Store for $4 years ago. John
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:20 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Got some more work done on the wing this evening. I put the leading and trailing edge on each wing half and used the suppled dihedral joiners to join the wing halves. Plenty of work left to do on the wings. Hopefully I will have it ready to cover sometime next week. I set the wing on the fuselage for a photo shoot. John
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:24 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
Not a very productive day, but I did have time to do some work this evening. Measured and marked the center of the wing and epoxyed the wing hold down onto the front, then put the center rib in. I made two servo mounts by making two ribs front the plans and connecting them using two hardwood strips and two existing ribs. Sized everything to fit the HS 225 s I will be using. I got one strip of sheeting on and decided to call it quits. John
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:01 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
I always hated putting on the leading edge before the sheeting. I started putting the sheeting on first, sand the front of the ribs to make sure they were flat, then the leading edge strip. That would keep the wing nice and stiff making it easier to shape the leading edge stock.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:05 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
875 Posts
I got the leading edge and the bottom of the trailing edge sheeting done today, but it took me most of the day (off and on). Jim, I can see myself getting into big trouble (warps) by not framing the wing, including the leading edge, on a nice level building board. Sanded the leading edge to shape (maybe thats what took so much time), and its starting to look like a wing. John
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:08 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,463 Posts
Looks to me like you are moving right along. Nice work!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer