to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
well I figured out what you meant by soldering tabs {could not picture it until I started assembly} I think I will try that, it keeps the boiler from sliding up and down when it is removed from the fire pan where my method allows the boiler to move up and down when it is NOT attached to the board. I guess I could run some screws through the brass jacket {machine screws with nuts on the inside} either way it will lessen the ware and tear on da insulation!
yep, that is exactly the idea

I'm actually currently dusting off my elliot bay launch with this engine for some running around this coming weekend. Taking her out to bear creek lodge for the Brewer's big annual camp out drunk fes.. I mean, team building weekend

hopefully have some pretty pictures sometime next week.

my build for that boat is floating around somewhere in the archives but I didn't pay much attention to the engine build because I was transplanting from my older boat into the newer boat, and pretty much anything I did to it was already covered in Kmots build thread of his elliot bay launch with heritage engine.

This is Grumpa Toms build thread

this one is mine
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,954 Posts
My friend and I found that adding extra holes to the brass which supports the boiler significantly increases power due to more oxygen to burn the fuel more efficiently.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
Having just read KMOT's Elliot Bay build and dug out my fan tail launch. On another thread I joked about running the exhaust to a thru hull instead of into a condenser....well I just looked at my booklet and sure enough they show it going to a thru hull
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
well... yeah...

it does

That's how I did the first one I built, followed the manufactures directions to a tee.
never much cared for it personally. and that's why I took advice and made changes based on the further experiments and findings of others more experienced than I on the matter.

its a good little engine for what it is and it's made even better with a few simple modifications.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:22 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostacos View Post
Having just read KNOTs Elliot Bay build and dug out my fan tail launch. On another thread I joked about running the exhaust to a thru hull instead of into a condenser....well I just looked at my booklet and sure enough they show it going to a thru hull
Running the exhaust through the hull side only works if you do not use a lubricator in the steam line.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
some what irregular
Diamond Bar, California
Joined Feb 2004
1,026 Posts
I MIGHT run it thru but only after the condenser.
dostacos is offline Find More Posts by dostacos