HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:14 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Rant
Air Combat Electric Jet!! Mini Review!!

I reciently had the priveledge of building and attempting to fly this marvel of workmanship. Let me assure you that this plane is not for the faint of heart.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Last edited by Don Sims; Nov 30, 2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:16 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2002
146 Posts
That's the shortest review I've ever seen!!!
dmoran is offline Find More Posts by dmoran
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:20 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
This plane is reasonably priced for an electric jet and comes complete with a very intricate remote control. It is an ARF and you can be up in the air in no time at all.

Because it was given to me as a gift, I can't talk about the shipping or packaging but there are nice lithographs on the inner packaging.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:23 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmoran
That's the shortest review I've ever seen!!!
I'm getting there... a high quality well written review mustnít be rushed!! This plane needs great attention to detail to do this properly!!
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:28 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Here's a shot of the plane just out of the box. Note the compleatness of the ARF kit. The landing gear is pre-installed, all decals already applied, bombs attached and the plane is even painted in a desert camo scheme.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:32 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Here's an overhead shot of the plane. I hope that your eyes flow with tears of joy thinking about all the time you will save in assembly of the model. I really like the applied decals but couldn't but help notice that one of them is upside down.

Well, I guess their quality control people need to do a bit better of a job!! I really like how the lines of the jet just flow from front to back!! It' looks fast just sitting there!!
Old Nov 29, 2003, 10:40 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I was really concerned that there was too many obstructions on the plane and that the airflow would be interrupted but at this point of the build I'm trusting to the designers and engineers of this fine looking machine. These bombs just don't look scale to me and that landing gear may impead the flow of air over and under the wings.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:03 AM
Newport, WA US
Joined Aug 2000
243 Posts
Wow!!!! that looks so neat!!! It looks like it can just fly across the floor as fast as you can run behind it
Isaac.S
isaac-bees is offline Find More Posts by isaac-bees
Old Nov 30, 2003, 06:44 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Thanks for the comment Isaac! Do you really think so?? My wife says that I need more exercise. The Air Combat is so new that It's not in Motocalc or Elecalc yet. Hey, I almost forgot the new Calc page here on R?C Groups, I need to check that also!!!
Old Nov 30, 2003, 07:19 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
Quote:
Well, I guess their quality control people need to do a bit better of a job!!
Bet my "lack of quality control" plane is faster than yours

My son has modified the fin, too much drag he said.
Well he actually said, mmmmgggffdd, with much dribbling, but my baby translator comes in handy from time to time.

The ducted fans get so hot they glow red, as you can see.
It also spins a pretty mean 1.5" prop, pitch unknown, but it's VERY FAST on 1.5v with 3 foot of line to suspend it from.

The manufacturer of this fine aircraft must have used a reversed image to make it, going off the port and starboard lights
I bought 3 of these from an airport shop and they are all reversed, they even tab the lens so it can't be swapped over!

Don, If it's a bit of combat you want then this baby is made of steel............well the top bit is anyway!

Cheers
Paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Nov 30, 2003, 07:46 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
WOW Paul!! That is some kind of jet!! How many cells are on it to make the Ducted fans glow like that!! I'll bet it can ROG within inches.

Please tell your son "Gooomog gaa gib rumpka!" for me which means "Make sure dad doesn't get hurt with that plane and thanks for the information.
Don
Old Nov 30, 2003, 08:56 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
Aahh, that's the trick with this one, You launch it, (very hard throw needed due to big wing loading!) and the prop at the back spins due to air speed, and using the power of super conductors strategically placed, it produces the massive voltage needed

Had you fooled eh! No, there are no super conductors in the plane........It actually uses nuclear fission which powers the prop at the back at low speeds and as the speed increases the fans take over, normally at mach .8 and above. The red is actually the heat of the air as it is being compressed, not the motors as most uninformed mortals think.

I feel sorry for the Li-po guys and their pitiful flight times, mine can run for about 9000 years without a recharge.

I bought the Chernobyl 3000 charger but I won't be needing it for a while though! The '235 was tricky to purchase though, My LHS stocks nothing!

"ROG" Now that's just being silly It has no wheels!

Cheers
Paul

They're coming to take me away, ha, ha.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:15 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
The Air Combat isn't listed here on R/C Groups either. It's not good to be ahead of the curve with technology at times!

Hereís a shot for those skeptics among you of the ducting on the inside of the fuselage. For an ARF it looks great and well done.

Paul, did you say PROP on the rear of the plane???? Are you sure you can post that kind of plane here in Jets????!!! MINE is and EDF as shown in this photo!!!
Don
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:17 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I'm thinking about enlarging the holes in the front for better airflow through the pipes. That should increase it's efficiency by 15-20% at least.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:41 AM
T-A-F-K-A crash_out
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Jan 2003
559 Posts
Yeah, that might help....wait...there are no air intakes!!!

Darn it. Here I was sitting on my prototype ductless-ducted fan and someone went and stole my idea. Everytime I time up with an invention to get rich, someone swipes it out from under me.

I really need to get on that whole wireless transmission of electricity. Imagine-we'll be able to fly without batteries forever! The inherent flaw right now is that it tends to microwave anything that gets between the transmitter and receiver....a minor flaw I know, but I don't want any frivilous lawsuits. Even if I can't spell frivolous.

Nick
Nick King is offline Find More Posts by Nick King