HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
New Product
Steerable, 1.3g micro retractable landing gear

After many requests, a handful of failed prototypes, countless linkage tweaks, and a few late nights; I am happy to announce a steerable variation of my micro retractable landing gear!

Dimensions for the mechanism only (including steering arm, mechanism is a laser cut Mk.II unit, same size as non-steerable retracts)
Gear Up - Gear down
Length: 12mm - 18mm
Height: 18mm - 10mm17mm
Width: 17mm -
Weight with 6" .032" steel strut: 1.3g

Steerable 1.3g micro retractable landing gear (1 min 10 sec)

The strut will need to be bent and trimmed to fit your particular model, and the steering linkage may need to be adjusted to fit what ever geometry your model is using.

I hope to have a video of my UM T-28 with both the Mk.II main retracts and a steerable retract up by the end of the week.

I'm selling them for $7 each, and $2 shipped First Class USPS in the US, $4 international (note, if you order more than 10 the shipping may be different since it's on a weight basis). Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Also, if you have something you're willing to trade (batteries, micro gear, servos, ect) I am more than willing to consider it.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I am going to pick up some more wire on Wednesday, I think I have enough to make one more unit, apart from the one in the video and the prototype that's on my T-28.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:01 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
817 Posts
Thats great Yellow Baron!!!

Im keen to see the UM T-28 all set up. Will you do a build log?? Id love to see how you do it.

Looks like Ill buy some retracts off you again, to use on my UM T-28.

Well done.

Regards,
Nath.
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:04 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
No build log but I'll do a quick write up and loads of pictures on this thread (inside and out of the fuse). I've got a motor/gearbox (the original is in a WACO YMF-5) and a bell-crank coming in on Wednesday.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:19 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
817 Posts
Any sort of help is appreciated there Yellow Baron!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,345 Posts
Sure would be nice if you could make a scale-like s-l-o-w actuation!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
that is a matter of programming. ive been tossing that around for a while. mostly i forgot i was working on it!
yay! now we can have b-25, t-28, real micro jets, me-262, go-229...
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
I don't know how to slow the retract with my DX7s, so for now they are whatever speed the servo is. I'd love a slower retract too.

NemoSkull, I'd love to see a micro Horton IX, how do you plan on tackling the dutch roll issue?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
im not sure. dutch roll is related to stabilitty, so first off is no dehidral. IIRC wing sweep is less or does not cuase dutch roll. at any rate, low speed helps. what bothers me is the flat spin. you need a high CG to avoid that (again IIRC) but that is not nice for stability. maybe a gyro (got one comming!)
i tried an RC wing like that. the 12" WS and mild sweep jsut did not work. tho the pusher setup was nice, and had a prop stop on ch 5 to let me belly land her.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:53 PM
0.9g retracts
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The nose on the T-28 is shot, foam dissolved when some acetone was spilled on it.
Last edited by Yellow Baron; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:46 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
817 Posts
Cool Yellow Baron.... I look forward to seeing how its done.

Regards,
Nath.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2013
39 Posts
any idea if this would work for the parkzone UM mosquito? im pretty sure it would. the nacelle has allot of room. 2cm deep 8cm long 1cm wide - 3cm foam wheel.

any buying/billin info? i want this so bad!!!!
fockewulf is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf
Old Nov 03, 2013, 01:06 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
817 Posts
Fockewulf,

I have seen someone mod their UM mossie with retracts, search for it on the forum it should come up as it was a Parkzone pic of the week not so long ago - about a month.

These micro retracts are really only suited to something like the P51 or T-28.

Im still scratching my head as how to mount the nose wheel in my UM T-28 project.

Regards,

Nathan
Old Nov 03, 2013, 07:55 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
...UM mossie with retracts, search for it on the forum ....
If someone finds the post (I couldn't), please post the link.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 11, 2013, 05:41 AM
United States, NC, Elizabethtown
Joined Oct 2013
7 Posts
Slow retracts, flaps

Perhaps you may try to contact these guys for ideas or their methods

B-25 Mitchell, 1/48 Scale, 8 Channels (3 min 50 sec)

B-25 1/48 Scale Internals (5 min 57 sec)

Here he uses a reduction gear to slow the retract speed:

1/48 P-51 Wing Structure and Retract Mechanism (1 min 28 sec)
Fianchetto is offline Find More Posts by Fianchetto
Last edited by Fianchetto; Nov 15, 2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: other modelers' solutions