Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Thanks guys. I picked one up anyway to see how I like it.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:42 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrome View Post
I just think the MultiWii code is tuned best currently for the wm+ -- I think in the future however it will be tuned for the mpu6050 -- and that will probably be the new baseline.
The code is not really tuned in any way for one gyro or another. That is what the config.h and gui are for. The end user needs to tune. Default gains are just a baseline that seems to work ok for most platforms. All my quads have more D term than default. The I term is tuned for proper attitude hold in fff. The IFrame needs more P term in pitch than in roll, due to the uneven mass distribution.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
The code is not really tuned in any way for one gyro or another. That is what the config.h and gui are for. The end user needs to tune. Default gains are just a baseline that seems to work ok for most platforms. All my quads have more D term than default. The I term is tuned for proper attitude hold in fff. The IFrame needs more P term in pitch than in roll, due to the uneven mass distribution.
Actually, the filter and PID values are tuned and were configured originally around wm+ (Alex has mentioned this) -- Most can load the default with the wm+ and it will fly perfect. This is typically what I do. With the mpu6050 you sometimes have to change the P quite a bit as well as the filter.

I fly my iFrame with a genuine wm+ and the default PID values are perfect -- I would not change them at all. That is not the case for the MPU6050 and I have found I have had to do some tuning to get it as smooth as I like.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,638 Posts
The WM+ had probably more flight/debug time other than any other gyro out there so far.
It was the initial base for the Mwc up intul very recently, only in 2.1 version it stopped been the
default gyro in the code.

It was actually mentioned before that the PID configuration could/should shift to the MPU6050 as it becomes the standard gyro in many FC's. And it could benefit from this extra attention.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
921 Posts
Since there is no standard scaling in MW, different IMU's will require different pid settings. So will different frame and motor configurations. Run some small props on high kv motors, and the aircraft will react much more quickly, and require different tuning than low kv motors and big props. Different balance or mass has a huge impact on tuning as well. I have always had to tune my pids, even for a genuine wmp. If you are not changing the tuning parameters, you might be missing out on flight performance, no matter what IMU you are using.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
If you are not changing the tuning parameters, you might be missing out on flight performance, no matter what IMU you are using.
I agree. My point is the defaults values were selected for a reason as they are sort of a happy medium or starting point that was originally based on the genuine Wii Motionplus. They have mentioned that going forward in the MultiWii code these defaults will probably be changed to fit better to the MPU6050 -- that was all I was trying to say.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
When I was tuning my WM+ years back I went through many test flights tweaking as I went. My final settings where very close to stock on P&I but my D was 30 +.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:38 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL, Sumiton
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
Tuning...

I get what you 2 are saying.... Default PID setting works pretty good with the WM+ . But on the other hand you can improve the flight performance with a little PID tuning.
I noticed on my setup I get a little tail wag from time to time in FFF into a wind. So I did a little tuning and found I had a little more drift that I should have. I will give it a try out Sat. and see how my Tuning worked out.

As far as tuning goes I am still pretty new to it and learning as also many others are.
With that being said I found a good video to help get me started in the right direction on my tuning knowledge.
The video does have sub-titles so you can still make good use of it.
Hopes this helps the New MultiRotor pilots as I am myself.....

Here it is: Réglages PID multiwii / Multiwii PID Settings (English subtitles availables)
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:53 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Very nice. I see you are giving CP antennas a try. Let us know how they work out.
They work amazing on Multirotors. Best by far I have tried.

Nice build! Makes me want one!
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:48 PM
Winter Sucks!!
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Aug 2002
751 Posts
Should I lengthen the arms?

I'm going to be using 11x4.7 props on the Iframe as they work well with this motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6246

I also want more lift for FPV.

That being said, do you guys think I should lengthen the arms?
The props do have enough clearance with the stock arm length but
was wondering with the props being that big, if they needed to be
farther apart for whatever reason.

Thanks,
Randy
romans1015 is offline Find More Posts by romans1015
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:07 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Yes, I would lengthen all the arms (including the ones in the center frame equal amounts until you get it so the larger props do not over fly the center frame. It should work out just fine.
Share some photos when you get done.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL, Sumiton
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
I did make my arms a little longer myself. But I use 9x5 props on 1100kv motors.
So I only added an inch and a half or so. Kept the same ratio that was suggested
frame arms 2 inches shorter than the boom arms. As was said I made sure the props don't travel over the frame body.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:09 AM
Winter Sucks!!
Joined Aug 2002
751 Posts
Something doesn't seem right with my IFrame

Could someone please tell me if my thinking is right here.

Even though an I Frame kinda looks like a +(plus), you are actually flying it in
the X configuration.

Of course line (AD) and (BC) should be equal in length.

Shouldn't line (AB) and (AC) be equal in length also?

Thanks,
Randy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,846 Posts
Quote:
Of course line (AD) and (BC) should be equal in length.

Shouldn't line (AB) and (AC) be equal in length also?
Yes.

The inner arms should always be 2 inches shorter than the outer front and back arms. So if your outer front arms are 16 inches, your inner arms should be 14.

When I say ARMS, I am not talking the outer length... I am talking the length of the sticks you place in the frame.

To be clear when ever I talk about arm length it is cut length of the sticks or booms, not the outer frame measurements.
Last edited by Qrome; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
Winter Sucks!!
Joined Aug 2002
751 Posts
Well then, if the answer is yes, that (AB) and (AC) should be equal in length.......
then Houston, I think we have a problem.

I increased all the arms equally by 3" The 10" stock frame arms became 13"
and the 12" stock motor arms became 15".

So far so good:
The problem is that (AB) = 15 1/4" and (AC) = 14 1/2"
I'm measuring from center of motor.

I would have to shorten the length of the motor arms by 1/2" to make AB and AC equal in length.