aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Just so you know, tithes to the Mormon Church should be also included under "charitable giving".
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
I just showed you a cited graph, yet you still dont accept the facts
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
I just showed you a cited graph, yet you still dont accept the facts
the facts show that as president in 2011, Obama gave higher percentage. The argument started by the Right is that Obama didn't give enough when compared to Romney.

When you're making 13.4M a year, it's going to be hard to compete with hard dollars contributions. But that is a BS comparison.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
If you did a little digging you would see that that is wrong

"Romney didn’t deduct all of his charitable donations for last year. He left $1.8 million in donations off his return in order to live up to a statement he made about always having paid at least a 13 percent tax rate on his income. With his charity write-offs partially held back, Romney overshot that mark a bit for 2011, paying at a 14.1 percent rate."

"The firm also said their average annual effective federal tax rate was 20.2% for the period. And annually, they never paid an effective rate below 13.66%."
Last edited by srt8madness; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
the facts show that as president in 2011, Obama gave higher percentage. The argument started by the Right is that Obama didn't give enough when compared to Romney.

When you're making 13.4M a year, it's going to be hard to compete with hard dollars contributions. But that is a BS comparison.
I JUST showed you where Romeny paid a higher percentage. How do you not see that. You are also twisting words. No one claimed Obama didn't give enough. First of all, the OP was about Two rich old guys, one republican, one democrat. The dem gave a paltry amount, while the R gave freely and greatly. Then the fanboys came in claiming Obama paid a bigger percentage. Except he didn't. Got it now?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Biden is one of the least wealthy politicians in DC. His net worth is around 1/1,000 of Romney's.

Next.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Today's schools need to emphasize Arithmetic more.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:38 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
Biden is one of the least wealthy politicians in DC. His net worth is around 1/1,000 of Romney's.

Next.
Biden is so generous with what little he makes. LOL.

"The Bidens reported giving $995 in charitable donations last year about 0.3% of their income and the highest amount in the past decade. The low was $120 in 1999, about 0.1% of yearly income.

Over the decade, the Bidens reported a total of $3,690 in charitable donations, or 0.2% of their income."

"The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...inancial_N.htm
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Today's schools need to emphasize Arithmetic more.
I agree. Biden's net worth is essentially zero. In fact, he held more liabilities than assets for much of last year, actually rendering his net worth in negative territory. Romney's net worth is in the 100's of $ millions.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Biden is so generous with what little he makes. LOL.

"The Bidens reported giving $995 in charitable donations last year about 0.3% of their income and the highest amount in the past decade. The low was $120 in 1999, about 0.1% of yearly income.

Over the decade, the Bidens reported a total of $3,690 in charitable donations, or 0.2% of their income."

"The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...inancial_N.htm

Wow ... I gave more to charity in both gross numbers and percentages than Biden.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:45 PM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
I agree. Biden's net worth is essentially zero. In fact, he held more liabilities than assets for much of last year, actually rendering his net worth in negative territory. Romney's net worth is in the 100's of $ millions.
You're confusing Biden's finances with his worth as a person....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
So according to you, this is a model of what we should have running the country? A man that can't even run his own personal finances? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that. If he can't even handle his own personal finances, how can he possible run the whole country? And he is the next in line for the Presidency?
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:51 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Actually when you add in Romney's Church Tithes (which are also charitable contributions) as listed in that link his total is 24.8%

So the comparison appears to be 25% vs 22%

Pretty much the same.
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Not really. When I made $7000 in one year, it was just as easy to give away the same percentage, as when I made $100k.
Really? I made $1900 in 2003 which was a bit more than one month's mortgage. Charities got nothin' that year.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor