SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
S031 Smoked - Help!

Hi,

I purchased a new LIPO battery for my Syma S031 Helicopter and, COMPLETE Rookie mistake - I connected it the wrong way around when I was testing... A stupid, and probably fatal mistake... I smoked the motor (front one) that controls the upper blades.

I purchased a new motor today - and, when testing the hell, the upper blades spin, albeit slow, very slow. Not enough to get the hell off the ground. I fear I have nuked something on the PCB board though I cannot see anything that looks damaged.

Any ideas? I've checked the screws for the top blades, they are tight and the blades don't spin if my hand is on the gear. This may be a fail but I am trying to figure it out, a new PCB board costs half as much as the heli did. I've already put in 4 x initial cost buying spares!

Thanks,

Oli.
OliverMcDermott is offline Find More Posts by OliverMcDermott
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
putting the battery on backwards is unlikely to have damaged the motor. those use brushed motors, right? reverse voltage on a brushed motor just makes it turn backwards.

now, the control board is another subject. most likely that is toast, buy a new one.
minbari is offline Find More Posts by minbari
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
My wife pointed out that, when the apparently-burned motor was removed it did not a,ell of burn. This pints out the PCB board. I've done further testing and the motor spins - just not fast enough to create lift. Is it possible that I've burned something on the PC board when the bottom blades spin fine and all lights come on etc?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
more than likely you damaged some electronics on the board. most electronics dont take kindly to be wired backwards. you let the magic smoke out and now it dont work
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Good grief! I've just done more testing... Maybe you guys can help me understand the following: when I use the trim controls (the "left to right" on the controller) to move right, then the top blades stop spinning completely. When I release the joystick for trim, the top blades resume their slow spinning state???
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Another symptom: when maxxing the throttle, the poor bird cuts-out at full throttle. What gives?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
379 Posts
you killed the electronics! there is no explaining what it will do, it is damaged
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
I still refuse to accept that I've destroy this thing... But alas, it seems I've done just that.

I've persuaded my wife to pick-up a new PCB board at the RC Hobby store tomorrow. I trust it will be a straightforward installation / swap. I'll provide an update when I've installed said PCB Board.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:24 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverMcDermott View Post
I still refuse to accept that I've destroy this thing... But alas, it seems I've done just that.

I've persuaded my wife to pick-up a new PCB board at the RC Hobby store tomorrow. I trust it will be a straightforward installation / swap. I'll provide an update when I've installed said PCB Board.
Sounds like you have a very nice and supportive wife. It is nice that she helps you with your rc hobby interests.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Update: Upon enquiring about a new PCB Board - the RC store only has 40Mhz boards - and no remotes for this. I have a 27Mhz board & controller.

Screw this, I'm selling my spares back to the store and I shall buy a MadSpeed 4Ch single blade.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Eureka

I've just received my Vitality Mad Speed 4ch single-blade...

Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
aaand... it's gone.

First flight - an attempt to trim the new bird - 1ft above a soft, grassy lawn... landed 4ft from take-off, and the main shaft head snapped in half. plastic. failure.

I've taken it in for repairs - let's try again. It's the nature of the hobby
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,507 Posts
maybe you should get a mCX2 ill bet you 10 bucks youll learn to fly it with out killing it in a day
moral of this story is dont by cheap chinese junk
RC helis is one the hobbies where you REALLY DO need to spend more to get some thing thats worth keeping
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Problems

Further feedback: I received a faulty charger - it doesn't shut-off.

This Heli is rubbish. Evidently, the cheap alloy used for critical pieces, including the Tail Boom and Skids - bends and dents *instantly*. It's almost a guarantee that something will break / bend during any kind of crash.

Last night, I dented the tail boom, which bent the two support bars coming from the main chassis - The horizon. 'fin' on the tail had also snapped in half at some point - this is laughable. I'm struggling to take this thing seriously.

Perspective: I own a Foda F307 Micro. It is indestructible:
I've submerged it, twice, into water; it still works - this happened three months ago. There is no rust and the battery gives me 6 minutes, without fail.

I've dropped it, stepped on it, reshaped the chassis, bent the main shaft, squashed the battery (literally) - crashed it countless times hard; I eventually replaced one of the blades because the massive gaping hole in one of them was irritating me, though it still worked. PERFECTLY.

HOWEVER: Considering the money Ive put into this (ZAR: R1300.00) - SURELY the tail boom can be replaced with a carbon fibre rod, with holes drilled into it for the screws? Surely the skids can be replaced with flexible plastic ones found on a Syma S031, surely?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
Conclusion

At the risk of babbling-on about this - I've decided to sell said 'rubbish' Mad Speed, I'm going to purchase the above-mentioned MCX2. I've read good reviews. What is the wind tolerance?

Lesson learned - the hard and expensive way. This morning I took the Mad Speed out for a quick flight - almost zero wind conditions - I crashed it, the thing literally broke into 4 pieces. The cost to repair = the heli's retail price. Lol.