HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Build Log
Leading Edge Slat for Super Cub Wing

I took some better pictures of my second Super Cub wing that has L-5 Sentinal leading edge slats. These are very scale and use the 2 to 1 rule to opening to exit. They are a bit of a pain to make.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:30 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
433 Posts
LE slats

I have a Fiesler Stork kit that I will build one of these days. The kit did not include the LE slats. Apparently, the designer did not think it was worth the effort to install them. I'm kinda curious if installing the LE slats is worth the effort. Were they significantly effective on your cub? Are they fixed? I read somewhere that the real Stork were initially adjustable, but later designs were fixed. Anyway, just curious. Much later when I complete some of my current projects, I'll tackle the Stork.
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:53 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Mine are fixed and honestly I have flown with them so long I can't tell you what it was like before. All my Cub wings have them. I think they work as I have never had a tip stall but there is a lot of wash out in these wings. I have flown them heavy with cargo too. My friend has a 1/2 Scale(I think) Storch that he flies and is somewhat a Storch expert. He actually owned a real one but never flew it as he sold it for the one 1/2 scale he has now. He said the early versions had adjustable but made such a racket opening and closing that the pilots would tape them open. So later they just designed them that way.--fixed
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:37 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
433 Posts
The Storch is my favorite STOL airplane. One of these days, I'm gonna build the kit but with one difference in scale (blasphemy!, It's a standoffish anyway), I'm going to use tundra tires on the landing gear for easy rolling over grass. I like the fat tire look (not to be confused with Fat Tire Beer). I would also like to install a FPV system into it, if I can figure out how to do so without destroying the relative scale look (ignoring fat tires). Btw, I'll probably install removeable LE slats (to be removed if it induces adverse flying characteristics).
and see what happens (I like to tinker).
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:51 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Because air doesn't scale I don't think it would hurt you aerodynamically. I am "still" building my Japanese Stella which is a Japanese Storch. It had full leading edge slots and I have actually finished the wing, but not flown it yet as I am still on the landing gear. I will research some of my resources I used and send the links to you.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:32 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
433 Posts
Please do send links and pictures of your Stella. I would like to build mine the same.
Thanks! Bob
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:37 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
433 Posts
Btw, when you finish it, please email where you are going to fly it so that I can drop by and watch it fly. I live in Gardena (91&110), which isn't that far away from Altadena.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:32 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,418 Posts
Sure thing. Your are close.