HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Does this mean you got the airframe for free? Lucky dog...
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,267 Posts
Sweet..Congrats on the team membership! Very cool!

Your going to love the MXS! Can't wait to see some video!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Does this mean you got the airframe for free? Lucky dog...
Only if he wins, right Chris!

J/K

Congrats on the new gig and all the best to you in your future competitions! I look forward to meeting and flying with you; will you be attending HAEFFI in a couple weeks?

Bradley B
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Here is a video of mostly hover attempts and poptop attempts. The MXS knows how to carry yaw inertia. The hovering and harriers complicated by the torque of the 16x8 prop, which I am not used to.

S8cZBTwbDMU [crappy video removed]

Sorry for wasting your life...
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:14 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video of mostly hover attempts and poptop attempts. The MXS knows how to carry yaw inertia. The hovering and harriers complicated by the torque of the 16x8 prop, which I am not used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cZBTwbDMU

Great flying! You said you are having difficulties getting the plane to stop torque rolling when you are trying to learn to hover...I find this gets easier when you slightly lean the plane forward into a very steep harrier. The torque rolling will pretty much go way. Usually you need the plane to be dead vertical before the torque really takes over.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Thanks...I wish it were smoother.

Even if I apply throttle on a right harrier turn, I have a lot of torque rolling me left on this plane...shown at about 0:24. I don't have this effect on the 48", and I guess if I drop to a 15x7, it would be much less pronounced on this plane. But I do like getting it to torque roll during hovers (not in the video, though), so I am sticking with the 16x8 for now.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:24 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Even if I apply throttle on a right harrier turn, I have a lot of torque rolling me left on this plane...shown at about 0:24. I don't have this effect on the 48", and I guess if I drop to a 15x7, it would be much less pronounced on this plane. But I do like getting it to torque roll during hovers (not in the video, though), so I am sticking with the 16x8 for now.
If you are running the new 4016T/500 Mk II you can try a 15x8. They are much easier to find than the 15x7 and the new motor can handle it no problem.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
I think I have a 15x7 and a couple of 15x8 props.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cZBTwbDMU

Nice flying dude, but seriously I have to suggest you get yourself a foam plane from twisted hobbies.

If you want to learn to slow fly, get one of the Telink kits and practice on that.

You will destroy a lot less balsa planes that way!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Nice flying dude, but seriously I have to suggest you get yourself a foam plane from twisted hobbies.

You will destroy a lot less balsa planes that way!
Nice flying, ... destroy???

I haven't destroyed any balsa planes flying this way.

In any event, this plane is more challenging for me. I'm getting used to that torque and rudder. I don't have as much trouble with the 48" MXS.

But, I just ordered an Edge...I think that will be easier.

I am thinking about getting a crack yak, too, so I can fly indoors.

I already have two 48" EPP planes.

The nice part about this plane, though, is that if you get the nose pointed over the horizon, you're safe...
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,558 Posts
Added a few early build pictures to the first post.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Added a few early build pictures to the first post.
Based on my experience with another plane from a different vendor, I'd recommend using the iron to get the ultracote to seal or reseal to the wood, before using the heat gun. I've had ultracote pull away from the wood doing it the way you describe in the first post.

I've come to believe that temperature and humidity changes make ultracote wrinkle. When I first received my MXS, it was flawless. But it still developed wrinkles just sitting in my house, then of course more the first day at the field out in the sun.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:09 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
LoneWolf, not trying to be a problem but only trying to offer suggestions on technique.

Low and slow is a state of mind and muscle memory dude. You ain't gonna get low and slow on the sim nor flying 60" balsa alone.

All the top dogs flog foam as much as they flog balsa to hone the skill sets and muscle memory.

But then again.... what do I know.... party on dude!!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:10 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,324 Posts
Ive never owned a foam 3D plane. I'm no pro but I think a big part of keeping a plane in one piece is muscle memory. Torque rolls used to be crazy hard for me to keep the plane off the ground. I had to constantly think when belly in... pick up the low wing with the rudder stick. Now with torque rolls and inverted harrier for that matter... my fingers just do what it takes to keep the plane off the ground without my head telling them what to do (if that makes sense), allowing me to think of other things. Now I have hundreds of flights without dumb thumbing one in... nock on wood. There's always close calls when pushing low and slow for me, but that's what makes this fun. The plane I started 3D with was the 48" MXS, which IMO is one of the best planes to learn upright harrier on. Just for the record, I own the 48 and 60" edges... so if my insight means anything that says something about the harrier stability of the MXS. Now inverted the Edge is by far the easier and I think at least equally easy upright. A tip for inverted harrier when getting started... plane coming towards you... steer with rudder by moving the rudder stick in the direction you want the plane to go. Use the ailerons only to keep wings level and maybe introduce a little bank into turn. It's a little tuff when learning because rudder and elevator is backwards but ailerons is normal.
LoneWolf... looking good and keep it up and remember altitude is your friend. The edge should do you good.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:18 AM
Climate Refugee
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
LoneWolf, not trying to be a problem but only trying to offer suggestions on technique.

Low and slow is a state of mind and muscle memory dude. You ain't gonna get low and slow on the sim nor flying 60" balsa alone.

All the top dogs flog foam as much as they flog balsa to hone the skill sets and muscle memory.

But then again.... what do I know.... party on dude!!
I agree, had a few foam planes that I mistreated and it really helps with rolling harriers straight and circle. Biggest challenge is to wait for the plane to rotate around and slow or speed-up the mix. As for hovers. my MXS is a little squirelly too, compared to my 71-in slick. What helps here, and you did it on one of the high up hovers, is to ease into hover from a real stable harrier. Trust me, I am a mere hack, but every once and a while a few manuevers fall together - the pros like Cody can link one great move after another. Congrats on the sponsorship - always pulling for the local guy! (Live Free or Die)
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast