HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
how much money have you spent on this hobby?

for me, its just a tad over 700.

and all iv flown is a micro stik by eRC. which i got recently.

i also have a Cessna by skyartec but im not gonna fly it until iv had enough practice on the micro stik, (its been under my bed for 3 months now.)

im also in the process of making a "STC", a trainer, looks kind of like a micro sized J3. the plans are from 2005!

most of the money has gone to hobbyking, about 300. mostly on spare parts, and random trinkets like push rods or nuts n' bolts.

a lot of my money has gone to postage (about 200/700 of it)

im a very cautious person when it comes to spending money, and 700 is the most iv ever spent on anything. i thought spending 200 on a Logitech steering wheel for my PS3 was a lot, haha.

ive sworn not to spend any more.

nope, chuck testa. its now at 1000.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Last edited by derpron; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
If I had to guess it's in the neighborhood of $1800.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Ugh, dont wanna think about it. Just got into fpv, and can count 1k alone there.........
With planes I'd say 2500, and another 4k from land vehicles. (note most are sold)

Luckily I'm not building a bomber in my garage though
I know for a fact my budget is dwarfed by some on here.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Guelph, ON
Joined Sep 2004
1,846 Posts
My wife KNOWS that I've only spent $200.00.

Quite a deal, as I have 5 planes now...
RGinCanada is offline Find More Posts by RGinCanada
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
More than I care to mention...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,454 Posts
In 40 years of building and flying?? No idea
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
As above, me too, but I will say thousands......but still cheaper than my old pastime of powerboats!!!!! Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2006
192 Posts
I'm still a newbie to all of this...only 2 maybe 3 years....into electric for now.
I have several GP WW1 models hanging off the ceiling yet to be flown. waiting on the pilot to get good thumbs.
With motors,esc's,batteries,servo's parts planes, chargers,PSU, maybe 2500.00..
Yesterday at our field an fellow was setting up a giant scale P51..one of about 4 giant scales he has not to mention the 25 or so smaller planes. He was asked what he had into that plane, the motor and retracts and servos came to more than my entire money spent.
Like ZEE said..Less than his boat. My sailboat used to cost me 4K a year just to operate and store..So far this is a cheap hobby...
touche is offline Find More Posts by touche
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,454 Posts
Very rough estimate now that yuze gize make me think about it. Some years it's more,some less but I getting about $80,000 total for the 40 years
I too had boats for 35 years for fishing in the ocean and it wasn't cheap as others said. This is first time in the same 35 years I haven't had a boat,there are lots of reasons for being boatless right now.My fishing roots is on the surf and I still am a maniac surf fisherman but another boat is not out of the picture, I do miss being on the water.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:53 AM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,059 Posts
Untold thousands in the 20+ years in the hobby so far. It's hard for me now days to keep planes under a $1k but that's just due to what I prefer to build and fly at the moment. I have an ARF or two but mostly scratch build my stuff or build from short kits. Just spent $860 on a new radio and before that $380 on a short kit that will take its cue in line behind four other builds.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:03 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
Me too, some where around $700.000 in the 50 years I've been doing it. I've had some years I've easily spent well over $15k. $10k a year is probably about average, but yes my wife thinks everything is $100...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
for me, its just a tad over 700....
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
How much money have I spent on this hobby/sport? You mean in total? Everything including power planes, gliders, cars, boats? Just r/c? Or including ukies and free flight? Electrics only or including gas, glow, and gumbanders? Toss gliders, slopers, and thermal soarers? Damn. Let's see... Fifty years of modeling so far. Hmmm. Adjusted for inflation or straight up cash? Well. Um. That's quite a lot. Probably around three hundred thousand or so.
But if you just look at the shop as it sits today I've got three hundred glow engings, twenty three gas engines (including antiques), three Dynajets, one turbine, two steam engines, and a couple of Co2 motors.

Electric motors. Six or seven hundred brushed motors, mostly those nasty cheapo s400 and 550 can motors. But a few, say a dozen Astro Flight cobalt motors too. Brushless motors? Something like two hundred including both high end and cheapo motors.

Upwards of two hundred and fifty kits. Everything from gumbanders like Peck Polymers and Tern Arrows to Sterling, Top flight, and even a few Berkeley kits to modern stuff like Mountain Models and Stephens aero. Plus glider kits from DCU and others. Some of these now fifty years old and others picked up this summer.
Two dozen radios including everything from Ace pulse rudder to Orbit ten channel reed systems to Heathkit and Kraft system and yes, modern stuff too.
Hundreds of servos some still work and all the little bits; control horns balsa planks bell cranks pushrods glue all the little things.
Yeah. It adds up over time.
Gee. If I had no model fun I could have bought a house in some parts of the country. Wow.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,871 Posts
Hard to say, because ........................I don't keep receipts or stuff like props or glue or little stuff. I have spent about $1200 on just planes though.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Last edited by Babadush; Oct 02, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
"Billions and Billions" if you ask her.

"What, this old thing?" if you ask me.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor