SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:00 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Question
3D Trainer - Parkmaster 3D, Acromaster, RC Factory Yak, HK Yak EPP 3D, OR?????

I want to get into the wonderful world of 3D acrobatics, however I need a suitable airframe that I can practice on and withstand the bumps, scrapes and smashes from the inevitable accidents. I'd also like the airframe to be capable of being converted to do pattern acrobatics, so I can improve that too if I find 3D isn't for me.

What I've whittled it down to is:
The Parkmaster is my top choice so far. Very expensive, but I've always found Multiplex stuff to be excellent quality and always fly well. The RC Factory Yak looks good, and is popular down our field, but requires a fair bit of assembly and its motor mount seems to be a big weakness. Unless it flies really well, I can't be bothered with the HK Yak as it'd take 2-3 weeks to get here.

What would be the best to go for to learn on? Something else that would be recommend (and that I can easily get here in the UK)?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:19 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Forgot to add, I've also seen the Telink Yak. I know nothing about it, but seen a couple of reviews on here that say its a superb flier?

These lumps of cut foam seem all very expensive for what you get! I assume you get what you pay for with these? I.e. Spending more will get you a much better aircraft as the cost is from developing through a lot of R&D.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SimonChambers; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Grammer fix
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:58 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,191 Posts
The Parkmaster is my favorite plane! I know big time gas pilots that warmup with a Parkmaster. The RC Yak is an great plane too. After that a big Telink, great flyers and very durable! Have fun!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:53 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Multiplex ParkMaster 3D: Limited repairability. In our club, myself and those that have had, flown and liked them ended up buying more than one but moved on to others because of expense. Over time the foam softens and the plane is not as rigid. It requires supplemental reinforcement around the nose/motor

Multiplex Acromaster: Large, expensive and not so great a 3D trainer, more a pattern trainer. Tom Hunt has one with a three axis gyro and it's great.

Multiplex Gemini: Not a 3d capable plane, more a sport flyer. Wants to fly fast. Touchy flown slow.

RC Factory Yak 55: Cowl is fragile. It is not as agile as the Flash or RS352 by RCFactory and not as easily repaired.

HobbyKing Yak 54 EPP 3D: Flys great, will handle a wide range of power and weight. Relatively tough.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
TH Crack Yak. Excluding one tube of Welder glue used for the construction, I've gone through, so far, 7 tubes of Welder and she's still flying strong. When she goes in, she does it fast and hard from being on 4s.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Thanks for the response, its really quite helpful. The Multiplex is by far the most expensive, and probably not the best to bash and break a couple of times.

Just looking at the Crack Yak (I assume RC Factory make it for Twisted Hobbies and thus the same?), and noticed its quite cheap (compared to the others) - but also smaller.

So possibly looking at the Crack Yak, the Flash or the RS352. I'm guessing the Flash and RS352 would be better fliers in wind and easier to learn on, etc due to them being bigger?

However the Crack Yak is almost 60% cheaper than the RS352 and half the price of the Multiplex. So for the same price as I was spending, I could effectively get 2 airframes.

Finally I've also seen the 800mm Sbach 342 on offer for ~$60 - which is tempting, especially if it flies well.

So is it better to go for a bigger airframe? Or is a smaller just as good and it copes just as well (in wind, etc), but has less mass in an accident (thus less damage)?

I really don't want to get the HK Yak, as even though I'm a HK addict, I can't be bothered to wait for it to get to me when I can get the others next day. Also after postage, the HK Yak from Hong Kong is the same price as what I can get the Crack Yak in the UK. I guess the Crack Yak > HK Yak?

Too many choices (and not enough knowledge)! I really only want to buy one aircraft that will be the best out of the big selection, rather than buying and going through several before finding out there is one better than I've just got.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I like the biplanes for learning 3d cause they can fly almost like slow motion, gives you time to think and react. Check out the twisted hobbys crack Pitts.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,664 Posts
EPP foam is the only way to go if you're learning 3D, EPO just doesn't hold up to the multiple crashes that learning requires, EPO will be destroyed in no time.

I started on the Crack Yak as a 3D trainer, I still fly it on occasion. I'm flying a balsa Edge 540 now. I also have couple of Techone EPP planes which are fun and good trainers. And I'm currently building a Telink Extra Slick.

I'd say start with the Crack Yak, the batteries are cheap and plentiful, I'd take over a dozen packs and head to the park and practice.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Looks like the Crack Yak is the overall winner! It doesn't have a proper wing profile though, does that affect its capability of flying pattern acrobatics?

What servos are recommended for the Crack Yak? I guess I want something decent that centres well such as a HS-45? Or do HS-55 fit?

I do like the RS352 and Flash, plus I have spare servos/batteries/motor that would fit them too. Not a great price difference between the Crack Yak and those in terms of airframes - but they would be cheaper overall as I have the bits.

I forgot to mention I also have a PA Katana MD that I'm rebuilding (bought it off a flying buddy who last had a mid-air with it) - which I assume will make a good step up once I master the 3D foamys?

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Monmouthshire
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Simon, I've got a Parkmaster and a 32" RC factory Edge (same series as the Crack Yak).

One thing to think about, especially after this summer we've had, is how they cope in the wind. I'd say the Parkmaster is a bit more versatile as it'll float around with a light battery but still handles the wind OK with a heavier pack as it's got a profiled wing and a lot more weight (550grms vs 175grms). I usually fly it with 1300mAh packs but have also got a couple of 1800mAh packs and for when it's windy or flying more pattern style.

The Edge doesn't like the wind much but is great for flying around the garden in the evening when it's nice and still, and will take more abuse and cheaper. ParkAero do a good cheap setup for it.
TimR74 is offline Find More Posts by TimR74
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74 View Post
Simon, I've got a Parkmaster and a 32" RC factory Edge (same series as the Crack Yak).

One thing to think about, especially after this summer we've had, is how they cope in the wind. I'd say the Parkmaster is a bit more versatile as it'll float around with a light battery but still handles the wind OK with a heavier pack as it's got a profiled wing and a lot more weight (550grms vs 175grms). I usually fly it with 1300mAh packs but have also got a couple of 1800mAh packs and for when it's windy or flying more pattern style.

The Edge doesn't like the wind much but is great for flying around the garden in the evening when it's nice and still, and will take more abuse and cheaper. ParkAero do a good cheap setup for it.
Awesome. I'm def set on a Crack Yak now then. Just watched the excellent build videos on YouTube - doesn't look too heavy a build.

When the wind gets up, I'll just use my PA Katana MD to practice up on my pattern acros.

Now final question (I've probably used up my question allowance ), what servos? Are TowerPoos good enough, or should I just splash the extra cash for a set of decent HS-45HBs? Do you need high resolution, good centring, good quality servos for the Crack Yak, or are TowerPros enough?

I noticed the build video they have TowerPros, so I guess they can't be that bad!

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Do you need high resolution, good centring, good quality servos for the Crack Yak,
ICheers,
Si.
Why would you ever want anything else? I use Futaba 3154 on ailerons and 3114 on the tail.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Awesome. I'm def set on a Crack Yak now then. Just watched the excellent build videos on YouTube - doesn't look too heavy a build.

When the wind gets up, I'll just use my PA Katana MD to practice up on my pattern acros.

Now final question (I've probably used up my question allowance ), what servos? Are TowerPoos good enough, or should I just splash the extra cash for a set of decent HS-45HBs? Do you need high resolution, good centring, good quality servos for the Crack Yak, or are TowerPros enough?

I noticed the build video they have TowerPros, so I guess they can't be that bad!

Cheers,
Si.
I've used the towerpro servos in 3 different twisted hobbys foamies. They work great.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
I have had zero problems with anything on my Crack Yak using TH power combo......3 thumbs up!
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,664 Posts
I agree the power combo is fine, there isn't any need for precise servos as the whole plane flexes a bit, high quality precise servos would be a complete waste of money.

It doesn't have proper airfoils, its a profile foamy. It is not good at all for precision aerobatics but you said you wanted to learn 3D. For 3D it's a good trainer, i.e. it will help train your thumbs and brain for 3D. It does not however transfer to larger heavier airframes. Larger airframes need more speed and momentum to fly, the Crack Yak is a totally slow floater, which is why you an learn, it slows everything down for you.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee