United States, MI, Troy
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Dx8 or Turnigy 9 ch with dragon link

Getting my first Tx/Rx and I want to go straight into FPV

Regardless of what I get I want to install dragon link on there eventually

therefore does it matter if I get spektrum Dx8 or the cheap $80 turnigy 9ch tx

Is it harder to find rx for the turnigy?

thanks in advance for your suggestions
brownegg24am is offline Find More Posts by brownegg24am
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:08 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,854 Posts
haha, the Turnigy receivers are all over eBay, and top out at abut $16 for an 8 channel. Only downside is there is no failsafe function, but they should work better than a Spektrum DSM2 receiver. I use them (well it is a FLySky brand, but exact same thing as Turnigy) for my LOS planes and my multirotors.

A Turnigy 9x, with Er9x firmware added and Dragonlink is a more sophisticated and capable transmitter than a DX8+dragonlink. But without Er9x, the Turnigy firmware is somewhat inferior to the DX8 firmware.

Also installing the Dragonlink into the Turnigy is a 1 minute affair and no other parts needed. Installing it in a DX8 is a hour long task involving soldeirng up one or two plugs and perhaps using a separate battery to power the UHF. I would not choose to us a DX8 at all. In fact I have stopped using my Spektrum stuff altogether.

However, a used Futaba 9cap might be a very good choice also. Since it is 72, you will get better range right away than the Spektrum or Turnigy and won't need the UHF as soon.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:48 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jan 2010
31 Posts
Dx8 & Dragon Link

It's not hard to connect the Dragon Link to a DX8, but will take more than a minute, but you can switch between your dx8 and the Dragon Link in seconds :-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1738728

Optic-Flare is offline Find More Posts by Optic-Flare
Last edited by Optic-Flare; Oct 07, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
I saw a YouTube video where the guy had to cut the original antennae wire in order to get the module of of the turnigy. So does that mean it can't be reversed and then id have to buy drangon rx for every other model i get ?

I guess I'm too scared to drop 400 on a dx8 and then mess it up

Can u add a dragon link to a futaba 9cap
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, MI, Troy
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
Also how hard is it to update the turnigy firmware
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownegg24am View Post
I saw a YouTube video where the guy had to cut the original antennae wire in order to get the module of of the turnigy. So does that mean it can't be reversed and then id have to buy drangon rx for every other model i get ?

I guess I'm too scared to drop 400 on a dx8 and then mess it up
Maybe get a FLysky 9x instead. Same as the Turnigy, but no antenna wire through the case - the antenna is on the module with the Flysky. I think BEV-RC has the FLysky transmitter for sale. http://www.bevrc.com/flysky-fsth9x-t...ttle_p355.html even better you can buy a FrSky 2.4 module which gives you a very high quality, failsafed RC link with greater range, also from BevRC.com . Or get the Turnigy from HK, throw out the stock module, buy a FrSky from HK instead. No worries about that wire.
Quote:
Can u add a dragon link to a futaba 9cap
of course you can!

I also see HK has the RMilec UHF system, with a JR module ready to plug into your Turnigy/Flyskay radio. Now that is easy. But I have nto used RMilec, and heard some good things and some bad things about them. Much cheaper than Dragonlink.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 24, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
471 Posts
DX8 will be reliable and generally a more professional feel. I would never buy or use a HK or Turnigy radio no matter how good people say they are. I am using dx8 with dragonlink.
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,066 Posts
Yeah DX8 is so reliable...just do a quick search on all problems people have with it. AND the recalls. Nice.
philthyy is online now Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,854 Posts
I also have a Spektrum and it feels the same as a Turnigy in all respects. I swear the stick pots are identical. There are some high quality transmitters out there with definitely superior feel and toughness - they are not made by Spektrum! Try Jeti, Multiplex, OpenRC, Futaba, JR, etc. http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-duplex-radios.aspx
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownegg24am View Post
Getting my first Tx/Rx and I want to go straight into FPV

Regardless of what I get I want to install dragon link on there eventually

therefore does it matter if I get spektrum Dx8 or the cheap $80 turnigy 9ch tx

Is it harder to find rx for the turnigy?

thanks in advance for your suggestions
Have you got a Science degree? Have you studied at MIT for years and years and have a brain like Steven Hawking? NO?

Then stay away from the damn Turnigy!! LOL

The DX8 is much more user friendly, and you can get cheap recievers for your parkflyers from HK.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
How can you use a tx with no failsafe, don't many of the OSD/AP's need a FS for RTH to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
haha, the Turnigy receivers are all over eBay, and top out at abut $16 for an 8 channel. Only downside is there is no failsafe function, but they should work better than a Spektrum DSM2 receiver. I use them (well it is a FLySky brand, but exact same thing as Turnigy) for my LOS planes and my multirotors.

A Turnigy 9x, with Er9x firmware added and Dragonlink is a more sophisticated and capable transmitter than a DX8+dragonlink. But without Er9x, the Turnigy firmware is somewhat inferior to the DX8 firmware.

Also installing the Dragonlink into the Turnigy is a 1 minute affair and no other parts needed. Installing it in a DX8 is a hour long task involving soldeirng up one or two plugs and perhaps using a separate battery to power the UHF. I would not choose to us a DX8 at all. In fact I have stopped using my Spektrum stuff altogether.

However, a used Futaba 9cap might be a very good choice also. Since it is 72, you will get better range right away than the Spektrum or Turnigy and won't need the UHF as soon.
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
How can you use a tx with no failsafe, don't many of the OSD/AP's need a FS for RTH to work?
Sort of, but then if you are using RTH, then you must use UHF and not 2.4 GHz, IMHO. You see a 2.4 system usually has less than 1km range, maybe even only 600m depending on the receiver. If you fly 2.4 then you automatically are not going to fly far enough to really need RTH, imho.

Besides, if you are new to FPV then I strongly recommend not having autopilot/RTH just yet. You will have enough on your plate learning to fly it and fixing all the errors and problems anyways. It's another layer of complexity that could bite you in the butt.

And actually, I have 2 RTH systems which can detect failed RC signal without failsafe programming in the receiver (ET and DJI)

But there is one reason I keep a DX6i on hand - for flying micros via FPV. Need something to bind with PZ micro planes. Too bad the DX6i is a pile of crap overall, with no really useful programming capability.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Point Taken. But I wouldn't take my eyes off my plane unless I have a reliable AP and RTH. I'm progressing and UHF is in my future but I'm stuck with my DX7 for now. I guess I've been lucky cause I always have had a rock solid link and don't get failsafe to over a mile. You must have big planes or much better sight than I do because I lose reliable visual orientation way before that. I have 2 ODS's a Nova and RVOSD both require the ability to set failsafes.

What do the turnigy's do, hold last input?
Have you seen this?
Extream 2.4
FRsky+1W amp+14dBi patch, 40km (7 min 3 sec)
Last edited by picard10th; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,854 Posts
RVOSD is frankly awesome. Wish I had bought it instead of my 2 Eagle Tree in retrospect. (though I also have 2 Novas, 1 CE, a Suppo, a DOSD and 4 or 5 SSOSD now). Considering getting Arduplane with auto takeoff and auto land programmability - wow.

But why buy a DX8 if you already have a DX7? Just add a UHF to it today - it is a higher priority than the extra stuff on a DX8 I would think. Once the UHF is on it, the Spektrum part is just a programmable switchbox. The UHF will cost less than the DX8, even. On my 2nd FPV plane (first non micro) I put Dragonlink UHF on it and never regretted it. No worries no matter how far I have flown, just one problem solved and out of mind now.

A couple other considerations - beyond RTH, you should also look into other ways to recover a lost plane. Maybe some LEDs on a switch, a beeper on a switch, or a GSM beacon. I now put beepers on all my aircraft, and considering the beacon. http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....PS-GSM-Tracker The fellow whose RTH recently made his plane fly away from him could have used a beacon like this to recover his plane (I think he lost a quad also looking for the downed plane!). I also record the link w GPS coords, but that is not always so reliable and easy to use.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
RVOSD is frankly awesome. Wish I had bought it instead of my 2 Eagle Tree in retrospect. (though I also have 2 Novas, 1 CE, a Suppo, a DOSD and 4 or 5 SSOSD now). Considering getting Arduplane with auto takeoff and auto land programmability - wow.

But why buy a DX8 if you already have a DX7? Just add a UHF to it today - it is a higher priority than the extra stuff on a DX8 I would think. Once the UHF is on it, the Spektrum part is just a programmable switchbox. The UHF will cost less than the DX8, even.
Agreed, I wouldn't! What UHF is your fav. I would like headtracker does that make a diff with dx7?
thanks.