Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Help!
VAM School Presentation October 16th 5:30pm

Hello VAM Members,

I was asked to present an R/C demonstration at the Mount Olive Lutheran Church and School. Address is 930 East Florida Avenue Appleton WI 54911. The date is October 16th and the presentation starts at 6pm. We can get in at 5:30 to begin setup. Presentation would start at 6:15 with a hard stop at 7:30 pm This is a charter school and I expect about 25 to 30 grade school age kids. The space we have is a gymnasium.

I was thinking it would be part presentation and part interactive groups. We have about 45 - 75 minutes. For the interactive session I thought I would bring my R/C flight simulator, then we could have some large models on static display where the kids could move the control surfaces using transmitters. TR has also volunteered to help. I am hoping that some others will volunteer, especially those that have park flyers or heli's that can be flown indoors.

I am open to other ideas and suggestions on how best to give this presentation, topics to include, etc.

If you sign up to help, please be sure to post here so we can see how many we have. The more the merrier!

Let me know!
Thanks,
Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Here are some pictures of the gym for those helping out. I still need at least 3 more volunteers to help out!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:51 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
I was able to swap shifts at work and will be working that morning, so I should be able to help with the presentation that afternoon. I can bring my indoor aircraft and heli to fly, and if needed I can bring my 60 size electric aircraft or my big 50 cc gas aicraft for display if you think we need more aircraft for static display. Just let me know what you need me to bring. Thanks.

Matt
MDCramer is offline Find More Posts by MDCramer
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hey Matt that's great! Yes bring whatever you can. I think the bigger the better. If you can bring your transmitter maybe you could let the kids move the controls and see how the surfaces move.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hi there,
BenLL71 is offline Find More Posts by BenLL71
Last edited by BenLL71; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Should be a good presentation. Hopefully all of the volunteers can be there at 5:30 so we can finalize the presentation. So far we are thinking of some sort of initial presentation and then possible breaking up into smaller booths/groups. One group can be flight sims (so far we have two of them which should be fine). Next group can be moving flight controls with explanations on some larger models. Another area can be watching those flying helis, park flyers, 3d in the Gym and finally we might see if we can get gliders or even make paper airplanes to have some sort of throwing contest with some prizes available. (Craig and I are bringing the prizes). The volunteers I am aware of are TR, Craig, Bob, Chris, Matt and myself. If anyone else wants to join us you are certainly welcome.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hi there,
I was a member of your club a few years ago. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I did my training with Chris. Chris may remember his miraculous recovery of my hobbistar 60 after it disappeared behind the trees. Anyways, I just wanted to say it is pretty cool that you are doing this! My son is a member of this group at Mount Olive and we are looking forward to it.
If you guys would like an extra set of hands for setting up or whatever, let me know. Also, I understand if you wouldn't, but I have a 1/4 scale Cub I could bring for a static display. If my batteries are still any good, the kids could move the controls. I don't want to interfer, I realize I haven't been a member for a long time. Just throwing it out there.
Regards,
Ben L.
BenLL71 is offline Find More Posts by BenLL71
Last edited by BenLL71; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2004
389 Posts
more the merrier
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Hey Ben yes I agree with Chris and I think the cub would fit in nicely with what we will have on static display.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:29 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,072 Posts
where will we meet?
knighttwister is online now Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:57 AM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
At the gym. They do have volleyball or something up until 5:30 so it doesn't pay to get there too early. Best to arrive right at 5:30 or 5:35 if at all possible.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:06 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,072 Posts
where is the gym in relation to the school?
knighttwister is online now Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
The building is sort of an "L" shape with the gym on one side and the parking lot covering the inside of the "L" so it's a pretty good design. There is a door that goes directly into the gym from the parking lot and I believe there are some spots close enough for unloading equipment.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
596 Posts
Huge "Thank You" to Bob, Matt, TR, Jim, Craig (did I miss anyone? Sorry if I did). I think this event was a huge success as we had an opportunity to promote our hobby with potential club members of the future. I think we all had a great time and everything seemed to go well.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
579 Posts
Thanks for putting it together Tim!!
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller