HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
I haven't, but I know someone did. And they seemed to work acceptably well. This will fly with floppy wires, but it will fly a lot better with solid control rods much better. I was flying around on Saturday with really floppy wires.
I went and got a .096OD X .079ID Carbon rod 40" long for $7.00, Cut 2 -10" lengths and slid them over the 2-56 12" control rods & used shrink wrap leaving 1" out each end. used a sinch nut clivis on the servo and a screw adjust on the horn and it works awsome on the bench, haven't flown it yet??? total cost was about $12 bucks. There is zero flex, may have to do something different on the control horn it puts alot of pressure on the down elevator direction I'm afraid it might break the bond on the nylon horn glued to the elevron.
jjisme is offline Find More Posts by jjisme
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:44 AM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjisme View Post
I went and got a .096OD X .079ID Carbon rod 40" long for $7.00, Cut 2 -10" lengths and slid them over the 2-56 12" control rods & used shrink wrap leaving 1" out each end. used a sinch nut clivis on the servo and a screw adjust on the horn and it works awsome on the bench, haven't flown it yet??? total cost was about $12 bucks. There is zero flex, may have to do something different on the control horn it puts alot of pressure on the down elevator direction I'm afraid it might break the bond on the nylon horn glued to the elevron.
You may be able to remove some of the "down" travel in your radio programming. Unless you're still using that radio you had it on at the sWARm. Just don't go full "down".
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Any advice for the first toss? I have mine built and ready to go. Iím wondering about reflex and junk like that. Do I need any? Anything else that will help with the first flights?

I went super cheap with plastic gear servos from PlaneInsaneRC (shameless plug) and the 2812 Proportion kit which includes the 2812 motor, prop, esc, bullet connectors and prop adapter.

For push rods, you can always use bike wheel spokes. Find a junker on KSL for a couple bucks and your set.

Ryan
Depending on where your CG is, I have a little bit of "up" dialed in. To launch, I hold it by the canopy, give it full throttle, and just a little bit of an underhand throw slightly above level. It may pitch up and to the left briefly.

One thing to keep in mind, this plane has no air foil to keep it in the air, so it needs some speed to keep it going. Start off with more throttle, then gradually slow it down to see how slow it will fly before getting unstable.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
You may be able to remove some of the "down" travel in your radio programming. Unless you're still using that radio you had it on at the sWARm. Just don't go full "down".
I set the servo limits in the radio to stop when the push rods start to flex. That gives me about 1/2 inch below the body worth of down elevon, which is plenty. I'm using 0.62 music wire I think it is. There is some flex as the rods are long, but it doesn't seem to matter, and I can always put some guides on there if it needs it.

I did discover that it flies funny if your motor gets loose... A little ply for the motor mount fixed that right up.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
OK... having a bit of an issue. I had the plastic motor mount fall apart on me at swarm, no big deal, replaced with some ply and verified the CG. Everything looks the same as before. However, when I try to fly it, it wants to roll left, hard. At full right stick, it can about straighten out, but it makes it really hard to fly the thing. I tried adjusting the elevons for a lot of right just to see, but no joy. It does it right from launch. I have to figure I've got something knocked out of whack, but I don't see anything that looks off to me. The elevons are moving properly, and at neutral are about the same as before, a little up, equal left/right.

It feels like it's nearly always getting full left stick, but it's not. I can see the elevons are at neutral while this is happening. Any ideas? I'm rather confused by the whole thing...

All the same gear as before the motor mount issue, same motor, just the little red Assassin motor we all know and love, it's even stock, not one of my rewinds.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
When will you be back down this way?

I'm guessing there isn't enough travel. It needs a lot of travel.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
It's got a lot of travel.. I'm not sure when I'll be back down there, maybe next Saturday.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
K. I leave everything on full travel. If you dialed it down at all, it won't fly as well.

Another possibility is it could still be tail heavy. Do you have the battery mounted forward of the main wing at all? Mine is probably a little more than half way forward of the wing.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
The battery is close to the end of the main body. Cg is a bit ahead of the motor. Could be tail heavy, I could put some weight up front and see if that helps.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:40 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,437 Posts
I am ready to mount the battery, but, will velcro hold it well enough?
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,461 Posts
Even on gentle landings, the velcro only method was not impressive.
My latest one has a cutout in the fuse for the battery
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
I cut a hole through the fuse and hot glued a velcro strap to hold the battery in the hole. Even in some hard crashes, the battery has stayed put.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:06 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,437 Posts
What do you guys use to cut the hole to keep it straight?
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,461 Posts
Cuts well with a sharp razorblade or a new xacto blade. I cut it roughly to size and then opened it up a little bit with a soldering iron.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:23 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,461 Posts
Think Dan uses a dremel...