HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
"and to be able to change the direction of that circuit as the wind condtions require."

I used to fly fixed wing at a local club. The wind usually (70%?) came from the right of the pilot boxes - so you would take off to the right and land from the left.
On those days that wind came from the left, there were more than a few folks who couldn't fly. Flying a reverse circuit was confusing, but possible. It was landing from the other end of the field that messed them up.

My pet peeve watching scale flyers is the guy who creates a nice scale heli, then flies it at a scale speed of about 600 mph.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
My pet peeve watching scale flyers is the guy who creates a nice scale heli, then flies it at a scale speed of about 600 mph.
Until I got my AS350 done, I flew my Jet Ranger (550EFL) way too fast, like in your example. The origninal 600EFL Pro (mechanics in the AS350) would do well over 100 mph and the body really didn't slow it down very much at all. When I looked at the video I posted, critically, I saw that the heli was way too fast looking and have since slowed it down a lot. Now really, when a 350 is in full forward cruise, it is going over 150 mph but there is no reason that the model should be going that fast, lol. I am trying to keep it around 30 to 45 mph at the most but I need to find some video of the real heli so I can see how it relates to the model. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
Half the time I have one hand off the radio to scratch my butt, dose that count? Guy's at the field are always yelling at me, "Micah get both your hands on that controller!" Sorry after seeing a guy with no arms fly his Align 500 with his feet. I feel I can take the time to swat at a fly or remove a web that has flown into my face.

All joking aside it is important to have you heli properly trimmed and flying straight.

but the top is all true lol!!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:50 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,429 Posts
Good one about swatting flies, I end up doing the same thing. Now about the scratching of one's derriere, that's a bit TOO much information, lol. I got one really lovely flight in last night before our club meeting and it was, with no doubt, the best looking flight I have put in to date. I was still a bit fast in the close fly past coming from a large out turn but I will work on getting it slower by about 10 mph. Both high angle approaches were on the money and the pull-outs were spot on. The landing was from a fast low approach with a high angle slow-down and a drop down from about 1 foot. Man, those lights really show up at sunset. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Sorry this isn't scale, but it does kinda fit into the discussion.
This is a vid from about 2 yrs ago. I was able to do side and nose in hover and I was doing some side to side flight and some figure 8's. I decided I'd work on flying circles next. These are my first attempts; at first I kept losing it in the shadow and that dark fir tree on the right - but once I changed the location of the start of my circle (about the 2 minute mark) it got better. And with practice it got better over time.
I've moved and now I fly in the back corner of a park in a clearing between trees. Not near as much room and about all I can do is small figure 8's.
I decided today to try some slow circles in phoenix, and it's ugly. Thank goodness sim repairs are fast and free.
It appears these are skills you lose if you don't use them?

flying in circles (6 min 30 sec)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
Here is my bad flying style. It don't help that it is the maiden flight and all the guys put all the pressure on me. I guess that is what I get taking the heli to the 3D field lol!

500 Airwolf (3 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
gravity tester
LaPine,OR Quarztsite AZ
Joined Nov 2008
708 Posts
Hi mhills, ...your new Airwolf looks and seems to be flying pretty nice....good job!
MRFASTPHIL is offline Find More Posts by MRFASTPHIL
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
Thanks! I need to replace the swash on it. It's new, but one of the older Align ones that had tons of play. I thought the heavy fuse would mellow it out. Instead it made it worse.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,429 Posts
karlik:

You may not loose them but you will certainly take a bit of time to reacquaint yourself with what you need to do. Once you have done them by the hundreds, you tend not to forget but the first ones may be a bit more of an oval, lol.

Yesterday, since I have had to auto in a couple of heli's in the past (and they were not great), I decided to practise some at high altitude. That would normally have been fine but I chose to do it with my Jet Ranger. Things were actually going fine during the shut-off and initial auto. You could hear the rotor start to pick up speed and then I could start a flare-out with lots of room to spare.

However, things don't always work out as planned. Practising autos works great with 3D esc setups but NOT with scale esc setups. My scale heli's (where possible) have slow spool-ups and that is what lead to my Ranger falling out of the sky from about 30 feet. The blades did not have enough height to regain speed from the esc and down it came, landing gear first, into some very, very tall grass. When we found it, it was upside down looking all bent out of shape.

As it turned out, it was the broken weak plywood adaptors that were holding the frame at a very weird angle in the body. Once I got it home and was an hour into the repair, I found the esc control lead in rather bad shape. Did it happen over a period of time? Was it because of the crash (toroid coil was broken up and stuck to the motor)? I did an experiment with my AS350 on the ground to verify what the timing is and it is a very slow recovery, regardless of how short the off time is. However, the Jet Ranger was not as short and should have come back.

The wire is repaired, less coil, and the only broken parts were the landing gear and some slightly crushed spots on the one side of the frame. The gel coat is what took the worst of it but this morning, it is ready to fly once again. I will need to take this paint right down and I might just as well change it to a simple military transport heli, all dark to black olive drab. That way, the paint repair will be simple and scratches will be a snap. I am sure that if the landing gear I am on a waiting list for were installed in that crash, the damage would have been even less, as the plastic ones collapsed on the one side. Oh well, repair costs were minimal.

Don
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,429 Posts
mhills51:

Good thing the swash was not any looser than it is. Nose-in's look good but man, is that ever a narrow flying area for scale, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
Thanks again! Yes not much you can do there but figure 8's. I may of done a flip or two, but have not found a good way to mount the front LED 4cell battery pack and I can't take it out because it's my CG weight.

Yep good old align 500 swashes. What have they had like 6 revisions. This being a 500e kit I am sure it has a 2 or 3 revision in it. I hate to say this, I think I will get a Tarot swash $19, I have one in my 450 and even after several crashes it's tighter than my Align.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,059 Posts
Nice flying Mhills
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Not very often that you see a pilot say "Hey, if you're gonna distact my flying with a bunch of silly questions, let me just go into a nose in hover so I can devote my attention to you"
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,189 Posts
If I had the rocket pods mounted I could of shot some bottle rockets at them
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,429 Posts
mhills51:

Could you change the power source of your leds to run off of you flight pack (or BEC) and change the led battery pack in for a smaller size weight equal to the pack? At least you may find it easier to stick the balance weight around in pieces rather than one large object. Take care.

Don