SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Cool
///////Building my new work table\\\\\\\

Getting started this weekend building my new work table! Got sick of halfway bending over and killing my back to work on planes. I like to stand mainly when working and these low fold out tables are just too low. I made my design to be right around the 42" high mark. The table is 6'6" long and 2'6" wide.

Here is some pics. I used corners for cyclone fence poles! Worked great and easy to build.

Diceman89 is offline Find More Posts by Diceman89
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
More pics

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
And more......

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Thinking about just carpeting the top with real thin carpet.

Don't think I should put any padding or rubber mat underneath?

We shall see. I can already tell it is going to help with my back tremendously!

Anyone else with a cool work bench to share? Ideas?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Nice job. You can't beat being comfortable while building.

I have some rolls of that moulded foam used for lining kitchen drawers and the like - it looks like open mesh, but with not very big holes. One big piece for covering my whole workbench top if needed, some smaller oddments if I don't need the lot. Real good for the likes of working on complete models' RC gear and suchlike.

It's pretty cheap stuff now - try a big box hardware store, or something like Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think this is pretty close:
http://www.sears.com/home-ware-non-s...=1348440355438

I cheated with my present table - came from Harbor Freight in a big box.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:03 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Dereck, thanks for the idea, I know the stuff you are talking about. I use it for my drawers of my tool box. Stuff works great, but it does tear easy and nothing slides to well on it (which it is made to do). I kinda want to be able to slide boxes on it and slide my planes when I need to reposition it. So far it is still the indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought gray on purpose because sometimes we have black screws, and they are real hard to see on black carpet!

I definitely might use some of that drawer lining stuff when and if I decide to make drawers on this table. I am thinking to put more shelves on it, just didn't want to spend to much $. At the moment I am up to $220!! Wood is not cheap! Well, I still have four 8' 2x4's left over. Going to use those to another shelf, or I might put some diagonal 2x4's to help sturdy it up a bit. It is pretty sturdy, does not rock really at all, just a tad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:36 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Pukekohe
Joined Apr 2011
252 Posts
Looks nice.
My work bench is much the same size and height. I wet round the edges and thought the sentre with an accurate level and shimmed the top until it was flat as the wood frame is not close enough for wing building
awkward is offline Find More Posts by awkward
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Thanks awkward!

I just finished covering the top. Here is a pic, this is being done so far. Going to take a break and save $ to by some more planes! Here are my Zip22, Alula & Weasel.

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:55 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Ah! See your point about the slidy carpet. OTOH, I have a hard time keeping stuff off the floor without giving it better sliding ability

That little conventional glider is a cute puppy - hand launch, slope soaring or both?

D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
They are a small slope plane. http://zaerotech.com/design/Zaerotech_Z22_Series.html
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Neat little models - Hawaii? Not too many kit makers out that way, and slope soaring could be popular in that neck of the woods, at a guess.

I have a French glider design plan, called 'Ploof', somewhere, that's of similar size. Not much call for slope soarers around Chicago, unfortunately.

D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Yeah, fun little plane. Just has wingerons. Very light. Very fun to build, it goes together like a puzzle. Very cool thinking went into design. Likes to fly in 8-14mph wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Neat little glider indeed. Keep having urges to slow things up a little and build something that'll mostly float around in gentle circles - my reactions are suffering a temporary (I hope) downsizing or whatever.

Your bench. My Harbor Freight one has a low shelf and four drawers under the top. One snag is that the top has holes for removable posts to be used with the included woodworking vice. Naturally, sawdust, small pieces of wood, bolts and the like all head for those holes and end up in the top two drawers.

The shelf is a good idea, both for storage and to stiffen up the bench. It's just high enough to keep my scroll saw on and be able to get it out fairly easily.

Sorry about the photo. Can't make up my mind whether to cover the new Four Star 20, diddle with the radio some more or glue on the tailfeathers. The result is a mess! This itteration of the 'Balsa Dust Factory' is too small to allow it to turn into utter chaos, so I really have to be firm over tidying the place up as I go.

D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Joined Aug 2012
1,032 Posts
Dereck; very nice. Yeah I saw that one at Harbor freight and like the idea of the dowels to hold a plane or a vice. But still like a 6.5' table.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Diceman89; Sep 24, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
In the background is my old building table - it is a table, that fell off the back of an air force over 20 years ago. In my last shop or two, it had a reject indoor house door atop it, but that wouldn't work here as it was just too big in all directions for the room. The HF bench adequately supports my 3 and 4 foot balsa building boards and allows me to work on it from all sides despite the size of room.

I bought the white four drawer chest in the corner back around 1982.

It's all down to making it work for you.

D