HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Paper Canopies for MQX / V929 - Part 5

The other designs

Once we've covered the main stuff, let's take a look at some other, "minor" designs.

This is the "Alien" canopy, that i have designed on request, here on RCG, for a design inspired by the Ferrari Museum in Dubai:

So i started working my 3d tools and got this:

Available in two variations:
Ferrari badge and colors
Unmarked

Be careful as building is a bit complex.

Then I went on to make a fully cowled canopy, based upon another popular RTF quad on the market:

The "drone". However this has proved to be very difficult to build and maintain in working shape; but the final result I'm very pleased with. Here are 2 variants:
Orange and blue
Indigo and green

And finally, something for the "+" style flyers. A very tight yet simple build, and a bit of fun at the various "ladybug" variations the chinese seem to love so much.
Meet the Wasp:

Available in two variations:
The Wasp
The Green Hornet

And with this, I've published all the material I had for the MQX microquad. Some designs have been improved over time, and some others were too complex to deal with for the average builder, expecially where tiny paper strips are involved.
If you have questions regarding any of those builds, please post it in the comment section below; the best thing about making these things is to share them .

And finally a disclaimer: none of these is meant for commercial distribution; they are released under Creative Commons Licence. You are free to redistribute (for free), improve and share your improvements with the community. Enjoy!
Darsh is online now Find More Posts by Darsh
Last edited by Darsh; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Nice!!! Do you have a tutorial on how to build the ferrari canopy? I'm lovin that one!
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Not really a full fledged tutorial, but really only some building tips. Check here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=217
Let me know how it works out for you
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Cool thanks. I'll see how it goes. One question though. When printing, I can't seem to figure out what scale to print it out at. I've tried 100%, but it looked quite small. What scale should I print it at?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
100% should be ok. If you've saved the file on your HD and then printed from windows, be sure that adapt picture to frame is not checked.
The model is pretty tight to the board... however if you feel that it's too tight for you, feel free to scale up to 110% (i can't guarantee against prop intereference thou).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Ah okay thanks I'll try it again.