SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RTF Thumper, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:57 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Discussion
Fun to Soar but there is a Price to pay as we learn

Went out to soar my Fling for the first time this morning. The wind was 17 to 24 MPH so I drove to a new spot out in the desert to find a 30 degree slope with the wind smoking up the way I needed. Got in position and with great excitement lofted her to the heavens. She soared like a eagle after twenty minutes of fantastic motor free soaring and my nerves went away I landed her (not so smooth) but in one piece. I had a smoke and a gulp of coffee and went for flight two with great confidence I stabbed the sky with my beautiful glider and 3 minutes in I did some loops and fast low carving left to right about a foot off the ground and then ......... DISASTER struck. As I turned into the wind a very strong gust hit us the Fling went nose up and I was holding full down but in that wind it made no difference, now inverted and tumbling down wind mother nature slammed her back to earth among boulders the size of my 3/4 ton truck. Snapped the carbon rod fuse in half and crushed the fiberglass nose in, broke both control lines to the elevator. So a new plane is on its way and I will be flinging a new fling by friday for 79 dollars you cant go wrong and now I have a spare wing and tail feathers on hand they were undamaged in the crash.
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
to remove ads between posts