HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I just did one last week, from 90mm down to 88.5mm to fit different shroud. J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I guess I will be using my lathe.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,057 Posts
Many different ways all good all easy if you take ur time!
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I did this once but the rotor jammed against the single cutter and almost melted the adapter to the rotor by friction. A file or beltsander (multicutters)work pretty fool proof.
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
USA, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2006
458 Posts
I have used the method described by Air Head and it worked like a champ. If you make it a tad smaller put it in your shroud and use some fine sandpaper to get a nice close fit.
335driver is offline Find More Posts by 335driver
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Ha! How about if I told you I mount the fan blade on the front of my pylon racer and sand the blades with a block while the blade is spinning full bore. Never had a balance problem, Fuzz?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
ApexAero i cant tell if your kidding!
I need to cut a GreatPlanes and a GWS 30mm rotor down to 25mm will these ideas work for me?
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:04 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
The only difference I can tell from what Jofo is doing is that the fan is a bit more steady on a lathe and a sanding block is a bit more gentle than a cutting bit..dude have you nipped the tip of a prop? I'll spool it up and touch the edge of the prop to a cement table to balance it at the field when I don't have a spare. (not recomended but it works)is my favorite comment
PS: the last one I did was an Eflite 70 cut to a 64 lander on a 1W30, mounted the impeller on a sunracer for trimming, talk about efflux!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: ps
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
The only difference I can tell from what Jofo is doing is that the fan is a bit more steady on a lathe and a sanding block is a bit more gentle than a cutting bit..dude have you nipped the tip of a prop? I'll spool it up and touch the edge of the prop to a cement table to balance it at the field when I don't have a spare. (not recomended but it works)is my favorite comment
PS: the last one I did was an Eflite 70 cut to a 64 lander on a 1W30, mounted the impeller on a sunracer for trimming, talk about efflux!
The problem with using a lathe is the chuck. Unless you have an expensive "zero set chuck", most chuck's are off .003 to 020" off center. especially if it made in China. Now this my not sound like much, but it will set the rotor out of balance, plus the cutting tool bit will cause the rotor to chip. This is the reason I use a sero set chuck on a rotary table on a vertical mill. And, you can control the amount you cut off accurately. Yea, you can do it all the way mentioned in here. But you can also use a "C" clamp as a micrometer, just depends how accurate you want.

My 2 cents worth

Larry E.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357 View Post
.......But you can also use a "C" clamp as a micrometer, just depends how accurate you want.......
...............hee, hee, heeeeee. Whatta picture that would make.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff