HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Paper Canopies for MQX / V929 - Part 4

Ok, all the canopies I've published so far, were meant to be printed on paper using a computer printer, cut out, glued together and flown
Some general directions:

- Unless otherwise stated, all canopies are for the X configuration. + configuration is better for learning, but it's the X one that's where it's at. Don't worry + fliers, I've got something for you as well.

- When printing, make sure to print them with a 100% scaling (actual size). Otherwise you'd end up getting something larger / smaller than intended, hence not fitting properly.

- The little black squares are where you are supposed to punch a hole for the booms; you can either cut them out with a xacto knife for a snuggle fit (pro choice) or punch them out using paper hole punchers, or belt hole tools, or whatever you see fit . My suggestion is to apply a little square of transparent tape on the back of the printed part before cutting, in order to strenghten the hole for extended life.

- To further increase the canopy life, you can spray a couple of light coats of transparent paint. Something with a rubbery consistence would be preferred, in order to avoid cracks under stress (crashes ).

Later on, when i can find time, i'll try to make a real tutorial on how to make a new canopy from scratch. Stay tuned...

to be continued...
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:26 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,598 Posts
Hi Darsh, I know that you're getting a lot of people looking at these canopies, but let me be the first one to post a big THANK YOU!!!! for sharing your work with us. These designs are really cool and it gives folks like me who have never considered working in this part of the hobby some place to start.

Love the designs!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
You're welcome
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh