HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Discussion
Paper Canopies for MQX / V929 - Part 3

The Fighter

As I said when I first presented this to the general public, this is probably the canopy design that the MQX should have been presented with in its first release on the market. Sorry, I really don't like the original canopy, probably they decided to keep the price down by saving on the designer's paycheck... given they even hired one in the first place.

And then I went a little creative on this one...
Clean Template
Golden Accents
Stealth Fighter
Racer X
Racer Y
Racer Z
Spidey
Wolvie

I hope these are enough for everybody

to be continued...
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Last edited by Darsh; Sep 27, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,584 Posts
Woo! This one is a challenge. I printed it out last night, cut it out and then spent more than a few minutes staring at it trying to figure out how you're supposed to fold it. LOL

I looked at the template that you posted and saw all the fold lines. For a noob like me who can barely fold a proper paper airplane, I was thinking that I might try printing the blank template on the backside (double-sided printing) of the printed canopy. If I'm VERY lucky I might even get the two to line up. Then I would have the folding lines on the back so that I'd know where to bend things.

Something else that might be useful for us novices trying to follow in in the master's footprints would be to have the template printed where the fold lines are solid for convex folds and dashed for concave folds. Just a thought!

Thanks again for sharing these! They look awesome and I'm really inspired to try a few out.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Oh, that's what pepakura usually does. Personally i try to avoid extra lines as much as possible for the cleanest look i can get.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
This is by far my favorite looking canopy. However, I've printed and folded several trying to figure out the right fold. You helped me in another thread with how to get it folded. Using that image, I was able to get it folded I think the right way. However, it still seems too small. When I cut the holes where the marks are it doesn't fit right or well at all. Do you have any large pictures of the back of the body how it mounts and maybe the body as a whole upside down? Any measurements I can do on my folded body to make sure the scale is right?

Thanks in advance!
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
The holes are really tight fitting, so probably you might want to enlarge them a hair's breadth or directly cheat and tape them to the booms. Some pics:
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
I ended up upscaling it and then adding tabs to help the mounting points. Here's a side by side of the original size and my new altered version. Extremely pleased now. Thanks Darsh for your huge part in this!Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355497310.595622.jpg
Views: 177
Size: 12.2 KB
Description:
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Good job jdr00ejr! Glad you like it
Old Jan 14, 2014, 01:53 PM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
290 Posts
Darsh, I think I got my shape correct - but only after much folding and refolding the same lines. The front is pretty easy, but I had problems with the back. Do you have one folded in plain white? The graphics in your photo are cool, but make it hard to see which folds are convex and concave. Or perhaps you have a 3D rendering I can use as reference?

Also, how did you conceive this? Is your plan generated from a computer program or did you come up with all those folds yourself? It is very impressive. Thank you for the plans!

jdr00ejr - would you mind posting a larger photo? I like both of yours.
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Ok, open the clean template. See the square at the bottom? That's where the round "exhaust" is. If you check the photos, you'll see that the top line has to be folded inward, the side lines outward so to make that part recessed. The only other part where there could be concave bends is where the front "intakes" are - just above the hole for the front booms.

As per the programs used, I made a 3d model in Blender, then exported it to Pepakura to create the folding template. Graphics made with Paint Shop Pro.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 08:59 AM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
290 Posts
Ok, then based on your comments I have a couple of folds concave when they shouldn't be. But I think it is still very close. I'll try again, and then try with photopaper.

I would love to make this for my micro, but I worry that making it smaller will be impossible to fold for me. I'll post photos here when I'm finished with my quad. Thank you again for the plans, and for the help.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Scaled down versions might not work so well. As per your build - looks perfect to me. I'd just fold per "squares" rather than per "triangles", but maybe that's just an effect in the pictures.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:05 AM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
290 Posts
Yes, I folded most of the triangles. Even if its not correct, I think the final effect creates some nice shadows and panels. A happy accident.

Thanks for the help Darsh! Your canopies are awesome.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
I don't fly my MQX any longer - I went back to see if I had a bigger picture but didn't find any - but it looks like Darsh hooked you up.