HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Darsh, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Paper Canopies for MQX / V929 - Part 1

Hello, i would like to start my blog here on RCG with a recollection of my canopy designs for Blade MQX, which happen to be also perfectly compatible with WLToys V929 (I wonder why ).

The TDR

An evergreen among micro heli modders, the TDR is based upon a very popular design. The only difference is that this one is made of paper, and it was never meant to replace the real thing (if you can lay your hands on one, do it! They're great).

So here we go:

And here are the download links:

Clean Template
White / Carbon Accents
Carbon / Green Accents
White / Blue Carbon Accents
Carbon / Gold Accents
Carbon Green / Carbon Blue Accents

And finally
Layered PSD template

to be continued...
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:32 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
I was thinking of gluing the paper for one of these onto some sort of stiffer card stock like a manila folder so that it would provide additional rigidity. I'm not sure about the weight but since my V929 can lug around a #808 camera I'm sure that a little bit of a heavier canopy wouldn't hurt it too much.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Some people have build these out of photo paper. That should make for a fairly strong canopy.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
I tried printing one of these and not doing any scaling in the print setup, but it appears that it made it too large because the blades touch the canopy in the rear.

When you print these, which program do you use? Also, what are the dimensions of the final printed (e.g. unfolded) pattern? I just want to be able to measure it before I spend the time trying to assemble it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Are you using windows to print them? If so, make sure that fit to frame button is not checked.
Anyway, printed image shall be around 170x130mm, or 6" 2/3 x 5" 1/9 on the other side of the pond.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,583 Posts
Yeah, I was using Windows the first time. I thought I did remove the scaling but clearly that didn't work out as planned... Today I printed from linux using GIMP and the images came out a lot smaller. And yeah, that time it came out to 130mm wide (I'm bi-numeral...lol)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I'm bi-numeral...
Sounds kinky.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
TDR in star trek desgin

Thank you for the beautiful template. I used this template to create a new design inspired from the shuttlecrafts of Star Trek:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44719002/ncc_mqx.jpg

Perhaps a litte boring for some people, because its not so colourful.
mds99 is offline Find More Posts by mds99
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
324 Posts
Very nice! Make sure to share a picture of the finished job
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Picture shuttlecraft mqx

mds99 is offline Find More Posts by mds99
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:47 PM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
Hi Darth,
Just wanted to say a big "THANKS" for the TDR paper canopies template.

I modified it slightly to my style tastes. I made it a half inch longer and gave it a more traditional alien eyes look. Also, I found that by making the tabs and perimeters the same color as the body it allows me hide my cutting mistakes so the seams aren't as easily visible by the white paper.

Additional note: After about a dozen flights I've found that the photopaper canopy is really torn up and falling apart.
To correct this I just finished making a new one but this time I had the sheet LAMINATED at Staples for $1.50. It's much harder to cut out and build but the result is much stronger and I would highly recommend it.

Again thanks.
Unit1000
Unit1000 is offline Find More Posts by Unit1000
Last edited by Unit1000; May 30, 2014 at 04:01 PM.