HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
High discharge NiMh batteries

Hello,
I need NiMH batteries that can give out about 20A for the take off, once it's in the air the current draw will be lower so I'm not too worried about discharging my batteries too fast.
The batteries need to be 1500mAh-1800mAh as my flights will be pretty short and weight is a big issue.
I was looking for 1500mAh-1800mAh 12C+ batteries but couldn't find anything, best I found was 10C which isn't quite enough.
Could you please recommend of a battery cell that fits the profile? Price isn't an issue.

Thank you.

*Has to be NiMH, no Lipo, school policy.
mrmanning is offline Find More Posts by mrmanning
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,023 Posts
It might actually be worth looking at Nicads, they can do some pretty high discharge rates (even if they're a little heavier.

Another option is the LiFe/A123 packs. Much safer than LiPo, and outperforms NiXX any day.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,233 Posts
I assume you found these:
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx

Not sure if you can do reliably better with NiMh if you are limited to that. You might contact them directly.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
It might actually be worth looking at Nicads, they can do some pretty high discharge rates (even if they're a little heavier.

Another option is the LiFe/A123 packs. Much safer than LiPo, and outperforms NiXX any day.
I tried looking for NiCd but couldn't find anything that output more than 5-10A, those with 15A+ weight 40-50 grams which is too heavy(I could take 2000mAh+ NiMH cells), do you know of a specific brand/model with those specifications perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I assume you found these:
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx

Not sure if you can do reliably better with NiMh if you are limited to that. You might contact them directly.
Yup, at the moment those are my preferred option still hoping to get more juice
I'll try contacting them, thank you.
mrmanning is offline Find More Posts by mrmanning
Last edited by mrmanning; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,196 Posts
parallel packs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanning View Post
Hello,
I need NiMH batteries that can give out about 20A for the take off, once it's in the air the current draw will be lower so I'm not too worried about discharging my batteries too fast.
The batteries need to be 1500mAh-1800mAh as my flights will be pretty short and weight is a big issue.
I was looking for 1500mAh-1800mAh 12C+ batteries but couldn't find anything, best I found was 10C which isn't quite enough.
Could you please recommend of a battery cell that fits the profile? Price isn't an issue.Thank you.
*Has to be NiMH, no Lipo, school policy.
restrictions are a fact of design and project specifications whether in school or in business, thats why they hire us to fix these issues

perhaps you could get two smaller battery packs(for the weight restriction) @ say 10amp and wire them in parallel for a 20amp potential draw rate?

http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-B...es-or-Parallel

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...configurations
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:04 PM.