Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by polyfractal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Discussion
RC Newbie with a Sky Surfer

The day has finally arrived: my Sky Surfer has shown up in the mail. I've been reading and dreaming about RC planes for months now. I finally pulled the trigger and purchased my gear...but it was on backorder.

Fast-forward a month and everything finally ships. I felt like a kid on Christmas, unwrapping all the gear. I also ordered a bunch of FPV gear, but it isn't allowed near my plane until I can fly it successfully.

My kitw as an RTF Sky Surfer. While technically ready to fly, I wanted to add some of the modifications that are often suggested. So, two modifications to get things started:
  • Hooks for rubber-bands on the wings
  • DuBro control horn replacements

Rubber band mod went smoothly. Hooks were attached with CA super glue and feels rock solid.

DuBro control horn replacement...not so smooth. I removed the old horns and glued the new ones into place. Then I read the directions and realized that these DuBro horns have little plastic plates that go on the opposite side of the wing, held together with pins.

Whoops. I frantically pushed the pins through and screwed them in. Luckily, I glued everything with Gorilla Glue so it was still curing. Unfortunately, the horns are now bolted and glued. If I ever have to take them off, it is going to be hell.

The second problem relates to the pin that holds the control rod/wire for the rudder and elevator. Apparently the holes in the DuBro horns are smaller than the stock horns, so the pin does not rotate freely (or at all). I don't have a drill so I couldn't drill the hole out. Twenty minutes of trying to enlarge the hole with a variety of tools (screwdriver, sandpaper, knife) was largely unsuccessful.

I opted to just bend the control wire, similar to the ailerons. Not a great solution and I'll probably have to fix them later.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
629 Posts
Welcome to the RC world, looks like you got a nice starter plane. When you first fly her take it up high enough, so you have time to recover from any mishaps on the sticks. Don't try any stupid stuff at first, just get to know your plane, fly it in a nice oval and try to keep it leval. After that you can do some loops and rolls.good luck I hope you have succes.

Shawn Barney
Evergreen Aero Modelers
McMinville Aircraft Modelers
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Valley View aerial
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Boy View Post
Welcome to the RC world, looks like you got a nice starter plane. When you first fly her take it up high enough, so you have time to recover from any mishaps on the sticks. Don't try any stupid stuff at first, just get to know your plane, fly it in a nice oval and try to keep it leval. After that you can do some loops and rolls.good luck I hope you have succes.

Shawn Barney
Evergreen Aero Modelers
McMinville Aircraft Modelers
Thanks! Unfortunately, I took it out yesterday before posting this blog and managed to smash it up pretty good. Luckily the damage was repairable with some glue and tape.

Just took it out flying again and kept your advice in mind...much better! The extra height really helped give time to recover from mistakes. I apparently have a lot of tuning to do, the plane kept trying to bank to the right. I managed to compensate a bit by trimming the ailerons waaaay to one side, but clearly something is not setup correctly on the plane.

Flying is completely awesome, I'm hooked. Nerve wracking for sure, but really fun!
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor