HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:16 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,811 Posts
Discussion
2013 UK-AP meet in France?

Hello all. I know I am not the first to mention an AP meet in France but I think it would be a terrific idea. For one I am so thrilled at the pictures that Olivier takes and thought why not have a meet in France and get to photograph such scenary. I have contacted Olivier and he is happy for us to meet in France.I would plan a trip from Canada around the chosen date. I know it's a long time away but it's good to plan ahead. Anyone else interested?
CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Last edited by Canada Goose; Sep 23, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Mike. Sorry that you could not make this years meet(s).

A meet in France does sound very appealing although the logistics will take a bit of sorting out it is do-able. The Ferry from Southampton to St. Malo ends up nearly in Olivier's back garden!

My Wife and I will actually be in France (Vendee) on holiday at the end of May for a couple of weeks although whether I will be able to do any AP at that time is debatable.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Last edited by Bearded Flyer; Sep 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Grammer!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,811 Posts
Yes there will be lots of planning . Although far from you all I am willing to take on anything to help organise the event. The very first thing would be to select a date. If we all plan ahead and make it a priority we can pull this off ..
Cheers cg
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
984 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm in. I've talked about a France AP trip with Terry a couple of times.

DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,836 Posts
Great Idea Mike!

Brittany Ferries might be running again by then! (Looks like Olivier got out just in time, perhaps they just can't cope without him)

Our family will be a bit pre-occupied with wedding preparations next summer, but an early trip to co-incide with school holidays would be feasible. Alternatively, I could travel across on my own.

I am assuming they all fly 2.4 on the continent as well.

Thanks for planting the seed CG!
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
A new day, a new gadget
Brighton, UK
Joined May 2006
571 Posts
Seriously cool idea. Je suis on board
Garry s is offline Find More Posts by Garry s
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Excellent! that would be GReat !!! I am in Paris this evening, I will give more details when back at home the day after tomorrow.

I have already ideas for a campsite :-)

Cheers,

Oliv
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
Last edited by olivdudu; Sep 24, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:30 AM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Hello Mates!

that is a jolly good idea I have been thinking about it: the Rance valley would be a good place for an AP meet: not far from the ferry ports, several interresting places to AP in a reasonable beam, and campsite located by the Rance river at Pleudihen
there is a campsite which is never crowded, with plenty of place to fly in the vincinity. Besides, most of the interresting palces to AP are located in a beam of more or less 20kms such as "mont dol" , Ebihens Islands saint jacut and Lancieux or the coast between St Malo and Cancale
This could be nice isn't it?

oliv'
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,811 Posts
It all looks good Olivier!! You can be the tour guide for an AP feast
CG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Will keep my eye on this thread, fantastic idea!!

Gray
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Sorry been offline from RCG for a while... back on now though.

And... fantastic idea! I'm in!

T
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:24 AM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Eh eh!! Great!! Terry and Gray join the band I have been thinking about another campsite…at Lancieux , only 3/4 mile away from the sea (and our local flying field) , campsite fully equiped (it is the place where we store our club lawnmower) ….but it may be much more crowded than the other one at Pleudihen I think that It depends mostly on the time of the year.

I keep on thinking about it

I hope Andrew is right , because, by the time, it is easier to cross the western channel with a rowing boat than in a ferry

Oliv'
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
I don't suppose you guys would tolerate a rank beginner at AP tagging along? Hopefully I will have the Burnelli platform finished by then and would love to get some shots of Roman sites (I am planning on using my plane for archeological surveys on a gratis basis for projects that can't find the funds for aerial work.). If you would like I can locate some areas for that type of AP as well as the WWII sites, any interest?
fullwood is offline Find More Posts by fullwood
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:44 AM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullwood View Post
I don't suppose you guys would tolerate a rank beginner at AP tagging along? Hopefully I will have the Burnelli platform finished by then and would love to get some shots of Roman sites (I am planning on using my plane for archeological surveys on a gratis basis for projects that can't find the funds for aerial work.). If you would like I can locate some areas for that type of AP as well as the WWII sites, any interest?

Welcome in the band

a Burnelli platform, do you mean a Burnelli plane? that is a very rare and unusual gear, I would be very interresting to see how it looks

The area has got some several Roman sites, but they are located a bit further from the campsites. There is Le Quiou Roman villae, that I have taken in pictures and offered to a local association, Mars temple at Corseul (quite impressive and "easy" to AP) and the villae in Corseul, unfortunately located in the very middle of the village otherwise, in the very vincinity of a possible campsite of the meet, there is a viking settlement….and many lovely places to AP

cheers!

oliv'
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Thank you Oliv', and yes, it is a plane based on Burnelli's design principles but not a copy of any particular model of his. I felt that I needed that kind of lifting ability because of the twin cameras (one modified for near infra-red). I am still doing the CAD work on the design but I should have a smaller version finished in a couple of months for testing. The Burnelli Corporation kindly gave me their written permission to use the designs under the condition that i perform Archeo-AP as a not-for-profit project to assist archeologists. I felt that that was very generous of them.
fullwood is offline Find More Posts by fullwood