SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:05 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Wing fixing is going well so far. The mounting plate is only pinned in place at the moment, but I thought it was high time we got to see this aeroplane taking shape the right way up.

Does anyone have any preferred method of sealing wing seat joints against water ingress? Whilst I want the wing to be removable, this model will probably stay in one piece most of the time so any water that does get in is going to take a while to dry out. At least the anhedral hopefully means that any water creeping in through the joint is less inclined to run further into the fuselage.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:44 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,170 Posts
1. Place plastic wrap (Saran Wrap or equivalent, the thinner the better) over the center wing section, extending beyond the fuselage. Be sure to put in holes for the mounting bolts/dowels.
2. Put a thin layer of silicon seal on the fuselage where it meets the wing.
3. Carefully install the wing and bolt it down firmly.
4. Let it dry for 24 hours.

Can use masking tape to help hold down the plastic wrap, just don't put it where it would interfere with the fuselage to wing contact area.

Pete M
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:05 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
562 Posts
Once you seal the fuselage between former F5 and F6 you do not have to seal the wing seat. After you finish the fuselage, brush on the Polyurethane sealer inside of the fuselage to seal the balsa. The water might get in if you flip the model on landing. All the years I have been flying this model, I never flip it, but once I crush it.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:03 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Cockpit Considerations

Thanks Pete for the silicone tip. I did once use some self-adhesive rubber strip cut from draught excluder, but it tends to show up as a white line along the joint. I guess the same might apply to the silicone?

Laddie, one of my criteria on choosing the Aquabird was to have something that I could fly off the water without fear of being flipped over when taxiing across the wind. I'm heartened to hear that yours hasn't flipped - I'll try to keep up the good record!

I haven't really thought about colour schemes yet, but will be going down the plane rather than bird route. To this end I have salvaged a plastic bottle from the kitchen from which I think I can cut a canopy of the sort of shape sketched over the plan in the attached picture. I'm now about to start working on the fin and am thinking about how to fair the rear of the canopy into the fin/fuselage joint. At the moment I am favouring moving the cockpit forward a couple of inches so that there will be a short turtle deck section aft of the cabin, which can then blend into a fuselage/fin fillet of some sort. As always, alternative suggestions welcomed!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,826 Posts
I have used Pete's method for sealing out glow fuel. Use clear silicone not white and make sure it is the kind that stays flexible when dry.

I like the idea of a canopy.
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Hmm... but I'm having difficulty imagining the shape of the pilot inside it. Sort of F1 semi-prone position but with shoulders less than 6" wide I guess... gonna be a tricky post to fill!
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:11 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,602 Posts
Since it's not a scale model, there is no requirement to have a scale pilot
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Or indeed, any pilot! I doubt that the optical quality of my 'bottle' canopy will be very good so was thinking of painting it black on the inside.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:39 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,436 Posts
Okay two possible alternative options...

1. Make pretend cockpit in balsa and paint gloss black outside.
or
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Fin Building

I don't know about Snoopy but, if the bottle doesn't cooperate, I might resort to the balsa canopy option. It's just that, if I want to cover a surface with a thin, even film, I find it much easier to start with a thin even film in the first place rather than try to persuade a liquid to form one in situ.

However, all that is a few weeks away. Meanwhile, fin-building is in progress. This fin has to accommodate the elevator snakes and support the tailplane, so I haven't tried to shave any weight off here. In fact the only real change I have made is to extend the fin post down in between the fuselage sides.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:35 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,826 Posts
I've had success using Rit Dye for coloring canopies. Looks much better than painting the inside.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
I've had success using Rit Dye for coloring canopies.
Interesting. Do you buy it in powder or liquid form? Do you apply it to the inside of the canopy or outside?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
Interesting. Do you buy it in powder or liquid form? Do you apply it to the inside of the canopy or outside?
Powder. Mix it in a plastic bowl. then soak the canopy. In the States, we can buy Rit Dye in any grocery store. Read the instructions. I does work very well and looks very cool
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,883 Posts
Thanks Steve, I might well give that a try. Meanwhile, I have made a start on the tailplane. This is shown as 1/4in sheet on the plan but I have gone the built-up route, making a 1/4in thick framework which will be sanded down a bit front and rear before covering with 1/16in balsa. I might stick with 1/4in sheet for the elevators though.

Has anybody got any thoughts on colour schemes? I try to use my occasional non-scale builds as opportunities to rationalise the stock of covering film. I seem to have reasonable amounts of red, white, silver, yellow and dark blue. Strangely, this is the same combination of colours that stared at me out of the box when I came to cover my Astrohog three years or more ago so, in the absence of any other inspiration I'll probably end up doing something boringly similar. Here's your chance to try to jolt me out of my rut!