HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,553 Posts
Great explantion regarding building your own Quad. Was going to buy RTF but slowly changing my mind after watching your vids. As a complete noob to Quads i understood your build but could you explain please when you mention PI gain and these reccomended numbers you give, what does this mean regarding setting up your quad before your first flight . what exactly does gain mean.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
ox5
United States, NC, Candler
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Hi all..just wondering if anyone can tell me how to turn on auto level. No switch will turn it on. Tx is Spektrum DX6i. Do I need to assign this chanel to a switch? What am I missing here?
ox5 is offline Find More Posts by ox5
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Ox5,

Are you using the kk2 board?

If so then you need to, first, configure your Tx to bind a switch to channel 5/aux1. This is often used for the landing gear, so you might find documentation on that.

Secondly you need to make sure that you have a jumper/servo cable from channel 5/aux 1 on the Rx to the fifth channel on the kk2.

You then need to modify the setting for self-level in mode or misc settings to aux, the other option is stick.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:41 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
...most likely a SF prop, ...........and these are designed to create more drag and reduce rpm, .........
Completely incorrect.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
You can also activate self level with the sticks. Throttle down and to the left, elevator down and to the right.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Completely incorrect.
care to shed some light then?

because that's what I've gathered from reading forums and my own tests. 8x4DD gws props feel way different compared to 8x4SF
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
ox5
United States, NC, Candler
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Carr52 Hey thanks guy. The stick method worked. Thanks Brontide also.Yes I'm using the KK2 and have the wiring as you outlined.
ox5 is offline Find More Posts by ox5
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
ok, I am a newbie and have a question. What is "self level"?
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Self level is the helicopter wanting to level itself when you release the controlls. Works sometimes and not so well other times. I like it because it seems to make the helicopter easier to handle more stable. But I'm a low and slow type.

Tom
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
care to shed some light then?

because that's what I've gathered from reading forums and my own tests. 8x4DD gws props feel way different compared to 8x4SF
You said "these are designed to create more drag and reduce rpm". This is just plain silly. So called Slow Fly (SF) props are thinner and create far less drag than standard props which makes SF props far more efficient.

SF props were initially developed to do exactly the opposite of what you said. They are intended for early electric power systems that were not as powerful and had less vibration than glow engines. Therefore SF props could have smaller and lighter hubs because the potential for them to fly apart was far less in an electric motor plane. Lighter weight, less mass, more efficient.

Look at these three prop performance charts.

10x7SF for low power electric motors

10x7E for high power electric motors

10x7 standard for glow engines
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Self level is the helicopter wanting to level itself when you release the controlls. Works sometimes and not so well other times. I like it because it seems to make the helicopter easier to handle more stable. But I'm a low and slow type.

Tom
Sounds like something I need to do, how do I do it?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I use a jumper wire on the 5th channel of my Rx to the 5th channel on the KK2. I activate the self level using the gear switch on my DX6i. Or you can activate by using the sticks on the TX. Throttle full down and to the left and elevator full back and to the right. It will show self level on the LCD screen. Set your choice of stick method or switch on the KK2 menu.

Tom
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I use a jumper wire on the 5th channel of my Rx to the 5th channel on the KK2. I activate the self level using the gear switch on my DX6i. Or you can activate by using the sticks on the TX. Throttle full down and to the left and elevator full back and to the right. It will show self level on the LCD screen. Set your choice of stick method or switch on the KK2 menu.

Tom
I have the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA). It is very similar to all the kk boards, but I don't have the LCD screen. Anyone know how to do this on my board? I cant find a manual for it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebillica View Post
I have the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA). It is very similar to all the kk boards, but I don't have the LCD screen. Anyone know how to do this on my board? I cant find a manual for it.
Click this link and click on the "files" tab. There you can find the docs:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ga328_PA_.html
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
Click this link and click on the "files" tab. There you can find the docs:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ga328_PA_.html
Thanks, I looked there and it wasn't there. Apparently because I bought it from the USA store. The file is only under the "International Store" files tab.