SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,102 Posts
Most stock ESCs require programming to set things like battery type, low voltage cutoff, brake on or off and a number of other parameters. This is usually done either by a programming card, or with the Tx by using the stick positions and listening to assorted beep patterns (very cumbersome). In addition, all ESCs need to have the throttle endpoints calibrated, and this is done with the Tx.

Flashing an ESC is done with a small programming device and a computer. The aim is to replace the stock firmware, which is not optimized for use with multirotors, with custom firmware that is, usually SimonK. The end result is that the multirotor with flashed ESCs flies better and is more stable and responsive to stick commands.

With flashed ESCs, you no longer need to worry about programming the ESC, but you still need to calibrate the throttle.

Here's a long thread about flashing ESCs if you want to know about it in depth:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678

Flashing a flight control board is basically the same idea- to replace stock firmware with updated or improved firmware, and it uses the same basic tools. Here's a thread on that that talks about how it's done for KK boards. The process is similar for other types of boards:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458663

It's not really necessary to flash the FC or ESCs, but it does improve the flying experience, and many people do it as a matter of course. Not all ESCs can be flashed, and some ESCs even have the parameters locked in, and cannot be programmed.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:47 PM
ox5
United States, NC, Candler
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Is there a list anywhere of suitable escs for multirotors? I just ordered the Hobbywing Fun Fly 30A and was feeling pretty smug but now I'm worried again.Waiting on shipments from China is nerve wracking. Having a problem getting the payment through for the KK2.0. Troubles already! Hope everyone else's quads are going well. Hey Chris, What are the single connectors you were using on the Rx? Are these called gold single pin connectors?
ox5 is offline Find More Posts by ox5
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:28 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ox5 View Post
Is there a list anywhere of suitable escs for multirotors? I just ordered the Hobbywing Fun Fly 30A and was feeling pretty smug but now I'm worried again.Waiting on shipments from China is nerve wracking. Having a problem getting the payment through for the KK2.0. Troubles already! Hope everyone else's quads are going well. Hey Chris, What are the single connectors you were using on the Rx? Are these called gold single pin connectors?
Here's the best database. Be sure to scroll in the database itself. You don't see all of it if you just scroll the page:

http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/RapidESC+Database

The ESCs with Atmega chips and pads in a row are the easiest to flash. The Silab chips are a lot more trouble, but it can be done.

Also, RCTimer is selling a line of preflashed ESCs that are pretty good. Right now though, the HK F-series is the favorite of flashers (F-20, F-30) Here's some preflashed F-30s for sale in the RCG classified. Only coming from Florida; you could get these pretty damn quick:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757562
Last edited by 2400RDR; Oct 25, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
bobepine, Im looking at building a quad thats pretty much the same size that you should in the. Is there any way I can get a complete list of the components you used? Also I think you replied to someone about which motor you used and it linked to a kv1800 motor, didnt you use kv2600? And the suggested prop sais 6 or 7in based on the battery. I think you said you used an 8in prop. What effect does that have compared to 6 or 7, more thrust? Any risks using that size blade? Thanks for all the help, and I really like that quad you built! I hoping to build a copy of it(not using a custom frame though). thanks!
natelarson57 is offline Find More Posts by natelarson57
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,503 Posts
Preflashed ESC's now thats what I'm talking about. Thats the kind of stuff guys like me need. Believe it or not there are people like me that when it comes to computer stuff I'd be better warming a pop tart on it than programming something. I'm a plug and play hobby guy. Thank you RCTimer.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
ox5
United States, NC, Candler
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
hi natelarson57. If you look closely there are 2 quads in the video. The Armattan 362 uses the 1800kv motors linked to. The last with the bigger motors is a larger frame size. Sorry I cant answer your other questions.
ox5 is offline Find More Posts by ox5
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:15 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Here are the PI settings I recommend as a staring point for frames ranging from 250mm to 600mm. I believe these are better than the stock settings that come pre-programmed in the KK2 board:

Pitch and Roll:

Yaw:

Are those values meant to be negative??
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
No but thats how they appear in kk2.0 , with a dash
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:04 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
No but thats how they appear in kk2.0 , with a dash
The dash appears if you change the value from positive to negative. By default all the PI settings are positive settings. There are no dashes.

AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,503 Posts
Got this in an email. Looks like it comes already setup and you only need to plug in the motors ESC's and Rx.

Tom

http://www.valuehobby.com/multi-roto...rol-board.html
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:29 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Got this in an email. Looks like it comes already setup and you only need to plug in the motors ESC's and Rx.

Tom

Do some research on the KK board and especially "lazy motor 4" issues. It sounds one heck-a-lot easier than it is.
There are several threads on the KK board and they folks there are pretty good about helping -- but sometimes tempers flare when things don't work as they should.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:00 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post

Tom

None of these boards are truly plug and play. After you get your components installed and connected, at the very least you'll have to calibrate your ESCs, and check the directions on the gyros. It's not unusual to need to reverse the yaw gyro.

That being said, this type of board is much easier to set up than the ones that connect to a computer interface.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,503 Posts
Will do. I ordered two of the KK2 boards. I figured they would be easier for me to use. By me I mean non computer type. Just not any good with the darn things.

Tom
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:00 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
452 Posts
Help please

Started to build a quad a year or so back but did not persue further.
I have 4 x Emax CF2822 motors .plus a frame (450) called a black something or other bought from Europe

I have the original board (unused from HK) but intend to replace this with the latest LCD KK2.

Could someone kindly tell me what ESCs I need (preferably from HK)
to complete the project.
I would like to use a camera other than a keychain.

Many thanks
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,753 Posts
Guys, I've been so busy I haven't even had time to read this thread and answer any questions addressed to me. Very sorry. I'll do my best to catch up on reading and replying this week.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor