[]

Wow! I am so not worthy.....
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
168 Posts
I guess I'm going to have to keep playing with my pi settings after seeing that lego bike video . My rcexplorer style tri with kk2 fc is all over the place if the wind blows a tiny bit. I'll be running the numbers in the hundreds today just to see what happens .
Pkitup is offline Find More Posts by Pkitup
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2013
224 Posts
Input/advice on my first/new build!

So I've just dropped a bit of dough on a bunch of parts for a new beauty.
I'm hoping some of you here can take a look at it and give me some input. It's all ordered so if anything is "wrong" I'll most likely have to get diffent parts but more than your thoughts on these parts I'm hoping you can let me know what pieces I haven't ordered that I will need to complete the build.

I know I'll need a soldering iron and heat shrink. Can I use a mini torch light for the HS instead of dropping money on a heat gun?

HUNTER VTAIL 400 BUILD

VTAIL 400mm from Dialfonzo w/protection cover

http://www.myrcbuild.com/DiaLFonZo--...SON-_p_87.html
&
http://www.myrcbuild.com/DiaLFonZo--...-TOP_p_85.html

FC
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ontroller.html

Motors

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...4&productname=

ESC

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=

Props x8

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=

Batteries/Charger

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11915
&
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6478

RX/TX

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/wfly-wft0...l-device-.html

Thanks in advance. I'd hate to have almost everything I need only to find out I'm missing a little something and then have to wait possibly 30 days for another order. Wires, screws, bolts, mounting board/plate..who knows?! I'm hoping you with experience do and can help me be prepared!
Thanks!
-Paul
pbosche is offline Find More Posts by pbosche
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbosche View Post
I know I'll need a soldering iron and heat shrink. Can I use a mini torch light for the HS instead of dropping money on a heat gun?
I just swipe it over a stove burner a few times. A bic lighter/match also works in a pinch.
Mark_K is offline Find More Posts by Mark_K
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:31 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
I just swipe it over a stove burner a few times. A bic lighter/match also works in a pinch.
I did that for awhile. I think you can get a functional heat gun from Harbor Freight for $15 or something. When you have the budget, you can get a lot of use out it for a number of things.
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:24 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Wow! I am so not worthy.....
Most of us are not, that guy seems to come out with something unique and/or technically difficult every week.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:35 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Great tutorial. Helped me put together a list for my first Quad.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822290

Thanks!!
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
600 mm quad project

Hi Chris
Can I firstly congratulate you on a brilliant set of tutorials; I have learnt a lot, Thank you.
The last time I brought anything to do with RC I was using glow engines and every thing was controlled by servos as such you can see I have a lot of catching you to do. After seeing a quad flying nearby I was hooked.
I am wanting to build an x quad with a motor to motor measurement of 600mm and enough lift to eventually in the future, lift two cameras, one for FPV, the other for HD photography/video and all the gps and sensors etc.
I do have a couple of questions if you or anybody could help answer I would be grateful.
For my first FCB I have purchased the KK2.2 board and already have a Futaba T6EXAP Tx and Rx.
Can I power the Rx as you do in the video or do I have to change this to a different one, if I do need to change it can you recommend one?
The other relates to the motors and props, I have looked on the Net and now I am totally confused where to start trying to work out what to get, if you have any suggestions I would be grateful, the ECS’s and battery I think I can work out.
Thanks David
DavidGib is offline Find More Posts by DavidGib
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,886 Posts
Hi David,

You should be able to power your TX off the KK2. As for props, with a 600mm quad, I'm not sure. I mostly work with smaller quads. I'd say you'll be looking at about 12 inch props.

Sorry if my answer isn't very helpful, but my experience qith quads this size is limited.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
Loss of power after 30 secs then motors 1 and 3 stop

Hi guys, Firstly, thanks for such a great thread; I've read it (and others) for ages looking for a solution.

I'm using 4x HK Blue 30A ESC's with HK 2728 Brushless Outrunner Motors at 1000kv with 8x4.5 props and KK2 v1.2 FW

I've set it up as instructed (and spent the afternoon in hospital with 2 badly cut fingers because I didn't take the props off when advised to do so when calibrating the ESC's via the KK2 so be warned)!

I have tried to calibrate the 4 ESC's on the KK2 but it didn't go as stated so I did them individually with the TX and receiver. There must be an easier way to programme these ESC's! It is all so complex using the beeps and pips on the TX!

My quad powers up and starts to lift of (drifting quite badly) but then suddenly loses power and motors 1 and 3 stop altogether. There is a noticable "glitch" on the throttle stick about the mid point too. Can anyone throw any light on this annoying issue please?
Fun Spunge is offline Find More Posts by Fun Spunge
Last edited by Fun Spunge; Feb 05, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:35 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
I just use my soldering iron. Its hot and right there ready to use. I hold it close to the shrink tube and TA DA!! Done
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Greta tutorial it helped me a lot to build my first quad but i have a problem. Every time i try to take off my quad it always leans to the left side and it looks like it will flip
if i raise my throttle. I have done everything said on the videos my sensors and receiver test seems is ok although i had hard time to trim the values down to 0. I have calibrated the escs many times, balanced my props, my motors spin as they should on a "x" quad (m1 cw, m2 ccw, m3 cw, m4 ccw) still no luck so far. I have also calibrated on a level surface. My setup consists of 4 1200kv motors, kk2 board(1.5 firmware), HK 30 A esc(not flashed), turnigy 9x transmitter and receiver. Any suggestions?
tsilis is offline Find More Posts by tsilis
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,886 Posts
Are you talking about radio trims? Why do you say you had a hard time reducing trims?

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Yes I am talking about radio trims. It was hard because I used the subtrim menu first but still couldn't zero aileron I had to use the trim menu as well. Something else that i just noticed to the receiver test is when i get my throttle almost half way up i get this values

which they seem wrong to me at least for the aileron. And this is what it looks like with no input at all from the transmitter

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
tsilis is offline Find More Posts by tsilis
Last edited by tsilis; Mar 10, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsilis View Post
Yes I am talking about radio trims. It was hard because I used the subtrim menu first but still couldn't zero aileron I had to use the trim menu as well.
Sorry, but I don't quite understand. This is what you wrote: " ... i had hard time to trim the values down to 0."

How can this be hard to do? Simply set the trims to 0%.

I recommend setting flight trims and subtrims to 0%. Then calibrate the sticks on your radio. Then make sure all your channels are in the right direction. I believe you need to reverse ailerons and elevator using a DX7. Then unplug everything. Power up the quad and calibrate the ACC/sensors. Then bind your radio to the quad and see what happens.

I have a DX7 I just recently bought and for some reason, a quad will want to go left and forward without trims. Then if I install a devo receiver and use my walkera transmitter, I do not need trims at all. I calibrated the sticks on the DX7 and did everything mentioned above to no avail. Need to use trims to make it fly. It's weird and I don't like it.

I do not use subtrims. I use flight trims to the left and back a bit and then it flies fine. Not sure why. It's almost as if the DX7 has something skewed with stick calibration.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor