HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, TX, Spur
Joined Sep 2011
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebillica View Post
I have the HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA). It is very similar to all the kk boards, but I don't have the LCD screen. Anyone know how to do this on my board? I cant find a manual for it.
Self Level requires Gyro's and Accelerometers. Your board doesn't have accelerometers so it is not capable of a self level function.
If you want self level then a KK2 (or similar controller with accelerometers) is mandatory.

Thurmond
T3PRanch is offline Find More Posts by T3PRanch
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3PRanch View Post
Self Level requires Gyro's and Accelerometers. Your board doesn't have accelerometers so it is not capable of a self level function.
If you want self level then a KK2 (or similar controller with accelerometers) is mandatory.

Thurmond
Thanx, I guess I am in the market for a KK2 board then......
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,434 Posts
I've made 2 quads using the KK2 and they have both been very good machines. Of course my flying skills being what they are only one is still flyable. The board will be reused on another quad. Point is that the KK2 is a great board for new people like me.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Jul 2012
42 Posts
I'm considering an RCTimer F450 clone quad kit with SimonK 30A ESC, 2830-1000KV motors, and 1045 carbon reinforced props:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=

I read somewhere that 2830-850KV motors might be better.

I am hoping to use the quad to lift a small Canon point and shoot camera which weighs about 135 grams, for still photography, not video. I plan to use a KK2.0 controller to begin with. Not sure what battery would be best yet.

I have been flying a Beetle V929 quad using a Turnigy 9X radio since July and am a fairly proficient quad pilot.

Any advice or feedback as to whether this setup will work for my purposes, or what might be better, would be appreciated.

I am an aerial photographer who uses large kites and helium balloons to lift my camera. Hoping to add a multirotor capability to my toolkit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ml_kap/...207855/detail/

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Michael L is offline Find More Posts by Michael L
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,434 Posts
There is an aerial photo thread that would have better info on the subject. That does look like a good price for the kit but I'm pretty new at this. The photo thread woud be your best bet.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:48 AM
United States, NJ, Fairfield
Joined Jan 2012
81 Posts
The kk2 board is amazing in my opinion. I was a first time flyer as of a couple weeks ago and now after maybe a dozen flights I am able to do do figure 8's and i have had only a couple of broken props. For a 20 dollar board it is truly amazing how stable and responsive it is. Now I just have to build up the courage to bump up the stick scaling and throw it into acro mode and do some flips.
mactek is offline Find More Posts by mactek
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactek View Post
The kk2 board is amazing in my opinion. I was a first time flyer as of a couple weeks ago and now after maybe a dozen flights I am able to do do figure 8's and i have had only a couple of broken props. For a 20 dollar board it is truly amazing how stable and responsive it is. Now I just have to build up the courage to bump up the stick scaling and throw it into acro mode and do some flips.
If you know where to get the KK2 for 20$, please do tell.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:54 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Only the deal at the very beginning and then Black Friday. My B F ones are still adrift somewhere though. Good job I'm in slow mo with flu still so doesn't really matter.

Cheers Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
If you know where to get the KK2 for 20$, please do tell.

Best,
Chris
HK had them for $19.99 for a while. Deal is over now. A lot of us missed out on multiple buys of that one. I got one for that price.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,434 Posts
I just used this tutorial to build a Tricoper and I'm wondering if I still use the same P I settings? I haven't test flown it yet so it still has stock P I settings. Going to go out and give it a run as soon as it warms up a bit. Don't like cold mornings.

Tom

Well I gave it a test fly. It has more power than I thought. Shot straight up about 60 ft. Hit a tree branch and fell to its doom. Bent motor shaft and broke all three props. Should have it flying again soon as the new props come in. Other than that it flew great. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Jan 02, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:43 AM
...you hear that, Mr Anderson?
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
Alright so a few people have asked if I could put together some instructional videos on how to build a quad. I thought "why not." So here it is...
<snip>
Best,
Chris
You, sir, are a legend!
I'm a soon-to-be-owner of my first RC aircraft... a V949 quadcopter. I've been actively following your Armattan thread (after I was directed there by one of the forum stalwarts - Balr14)... It's a bit premature for me to be thinking of building my own quadcopter just yet, but I intend to do so in a few months time after I've had some fun with my V949. And I most definitely will be getting an Armattan frame from from you (...maybe even an RXR if I'm feeling like a wuss).

It's such a strange thing, you know... I almost feel like I know some of the regulars on that thread after having read through so many of the posts, and getting the alerts when anyone drops a new post in.

Anyway... just to get back on topic ...
Awesome thread. Super easy to follow. I like to prepare myself in advance and read / watch as much as I can so I have a good plan of action. I'm learning alot from this thread and the Armattan one.
Actually, I'm learning with each post I read on RCGroups (even though some of the stuff goes WAAAAAY over my head, like the 2-blade vs 3-blade thread that I was trying to follow yesterday which "disintegrated" into graphs of aerodynamic efficiency and other unknowable technical jargon). Still, it's good fun and I can't wait to get my hands on my V949!
Thanks for the great work and super thread.
Inevitability is offline Find More Posts by Inevitability
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,434 Posts
Well I got the little tri-copter up and flying again. Its a tad bit shaky. Probably because it took about a 60 ft. fall. I think I'll try resetting the board back to its factory settings and start over. But at least its flying again. Thanks to the KK2 board I can go back and recheck everything without having to mess with a PC.

Tom

Got it going again. I just used the settings from this build log and TaDa!! Good as new.
Tri-Copter 2 (3 min 51 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Jan 08, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
164 Posts
got mine built and after going through 6 batteries and a few props I have a bearing thats bad I think . the motor clicks when you turn it by hand and makes some noise when its running it's a good thing I ordered 2 extra motors . anyone know where I can get bearings for dt 750?

EDIT I started taking the motor apart cause I always feel the need to take things apart and got the bearings out soaked them in oil and put them back in just for the hell of it flew the tri for about 12 minutes and everything is fine .
Are these motors supposed to get lubed?
Pkitup is offline Find More Posts by Pkitup
Last edited by Pkitup; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:04 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
I have my Q450 with KK2 dialed in pretty well now. I have trouble keeping altitude smoothly when the wind is gusting. These don't fly like collective pitch in the wind. Here is on board FPV video with a 808 #16 camera. You can se i am fighting gusty down-drafts.

RC dirtbike and Quadcopter Smacks (3 min 56 sec)
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:22 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I have my Q450 with KK2 dialed in pretty well now. I have trouble keeping altitude smoothly when the wind is gusting. These don't fly like collective pitch in the wind. Here is on board FPV video with a 808 #16 camera. You can se i am fighting gusty down-drafts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8l8B...LkTzTg&index=1
Reminds me of this thing.

LEGO Bike & KK2.0 LCD Board Gyro PI gain adjustment Vol.31 (9 min 50 sec)
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron