Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:41 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
489 Posts
Discussion
Piano wire vs Piano MUSIC wire- difference?

Piano wire
vs
Piano MUSIC wire

Any input? Also, where can I get a spool of 1mm pushrod type piano wire?
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:08 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
515 Posts
Same stuff, different sales pitch I think.
Most of the online rc stores over here in the Uk sell piano wire. Although I notice that the available sizes didn't include 1.0mm (just 0.9 and 1.2).

I tend to use 0.7 and for longer rods I jam a bit either end of a 2mm CF tube with some epoxy. 1mm sounds quite heavy. Is it to do with the hole size on your horns?
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
489 Posts
nope, trying to build a vibration isolation system with the wires- I might end up going with the 1.2mm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:44 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
515 Posts
Sounds interesting. I'm not saying there isn't 1mm out there but it doesn't show up on the sites I use. You might try music wholesales.
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
Music wire is sometimes called piano wire, the wire for the Dulcimer they are selling isn't what is traditionally called music wire, although some might define it as such. "Music wire" as traditionally used by the hobby industry is tempered spring steel.

The wire they are selling for the Dulcimer is more like guitar string. You can buy similar wire as that at your local hardware store for about $3-4, at least that's what I paid for it at Ace Hardware about a month ago! Don't use the hardware store wire in your Dulcimer though!

This (ACE Hardware) is nicer plated wire than regular baling wire which isn't plated.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Sep 23, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
I fly bipes
United States, OK, Elgin
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
matress wire

I get wire out of old inner spring mattresses...it looks to be about .6 to.7 mm. a bit more flexible that tempered wire but still stiff. it is used in the mattresses to tie the wire frame and the springs in place.
southside is offline Find More Posts by southside
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:58 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
489 Posts
Music wire for pushrods

I've recently purchased 0.039 inch music wire, equivalent to 1mm, for pushrods at a local hobby shop. It comes in 36 inch straight lengths from K&S Precision Metals in Chicago, Illinois. Stock number is # 497. It is hard enough to stay straight. I wouldn't buy anything on a coil for pushrods, unless the coil was quite large in diameter, maybe 20 inches at least. I have no experience with pianos or hammer dulcimers.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
489 Posts
Hmm... I don't need it to be exactly straight since I'll be rolling it into semi circles anyway as I'm using them for vibration isolation- so is the Dulcimer good enough for this purpose?