HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Mark we all know the real problem is the warbird pilots hogging the airspace/runways just so they can do a few low passes and then flying scale the rest of the time.

stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Mark we all know the real problem is the warbird pilots hogging the airspace/runways just so they can do a few low passes and then flying scale the rest of the time.

That and those flat foamies hanging over the middle of the runway.

Can you say "target"? That's what flying wings were designed to eliminate, ya know. No razor blades necessary either.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:08 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,073 Posts
That, and those crazy "little witch" pilots trying to scare kids on Halloween.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:13 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Those little flat hanging planes can easily dodge the wings

I mean all they have to do is move left or right a couple of feet.
Its not like the wings can compensate for that
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
Chicken and egg ?

What came first, the sweptback flying wing, (Zagi), or the sweptback wing jet fighter ?

Could a Zagi be a jet that lost its fuselage, or a jet, the mating of a Zagi and a missile ?

Was it grand design or evolution ?

These questions need...............................forgetting, please.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
That and those flat foamies hanging over the middle of the runway.
mw
I hate the way they act entitled standing there in a UFC/Ed Hardy tshirt calling each other "bros" talking about Honey BooBoo & Obama. The AMA really needs to address this
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
68 Posts
Flying Wing Questions

Okay, let me start off with this. I'm not trash talking the Zagi or any Flying Wings. So please keep the Flame Thrower put away. Though the Flying Wings do not appeal to me. I just have a couple of legitament questions about these Wings.

1) What is the appeal of the Flying Wings (Zagi)??? Like what makes them so appealing to some and hated by so many others? (The main question I have is what makes them appealing? I see several reasons posted here why they are hated.)

2) One of the reasons they dont appeal to me is they seem so easy to lose orientation on. Granted I have seen several with a bright color on their belly but still seems so easy to lose. So how do you keep this from happening?

3) Whats the purpose? As in do you use these for Aerobatics? Dog Fighting? What else?

4) What made you choose or want a Wing?

I guess I'm just curious as currently I seem to be more of a fan of scale flying but getting into some Aerobatics with my warbirds as well as some chasing/minor dog fighting and etc. So the wings dont appeal much but just wanted some light to be shed for me.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
JBFlyer85 is offline Find More Posts by JBFlyer85
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:46 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,623 Posts
I Fly a wing because they can be flown fast and cut through wind on windy days.
Also they are compact and I can take them anywhere for a quick fix flight.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Lazy people fly wings generally
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,623 Posts
I love tics one liner zingers.

Keep it going tic.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:59 PM
Splitting airs
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFlyer85 View Post
Okay, let me start off with this. I'm not trash talking the Zagi or any Flying Wings. So please keep the Flame Thrower put away. Though the Flying Wings do not appeal to me. I just have a couple of legitament questions about these Wings.

1) What is the appeal of the Flying Wings (Zagi)??? Like what makes them so appealing to some and hated by so many others? (The main question I have is what makes them appealing? I see several reasons posted here why they are hated.)

2) One of the reasons they dont appeal to me is they seem so easy to lose orientation on. Granted I have seen several with a bright color on their belly but still seems so easy to lose. So how do you keep this from happening?

3) Whats the purpose? As in do you use these for Aerobatics? Dog Fighting? What else?

I guess I'm just curious as currently I seem to be more of a fan of scale flying but getting into some Aerobatics with my warbirds as well as some chasing/minor dog fighting and etc. So the wings dont appeal much but just wanted some light to be shed for me.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
1) They are very fun to fly.

2) They can be easy to lose orientation on in comparison to conventional aircraft, but not so much more that is a problem. (the sweep turns it into an arrow pointed in the direction of flight). It can happen, so make sure you read this if you haven't done so. I also make sure to put big winglets on, and make the top and bottom differ in shape.

3)With my one wing, I do basic aerobatics, I (can, but don't) dogfight, I race pylon, thermal, bomb drop, FPV, you name it.

4)They are interesting creatures. They are unique, they are a challenge, they are as graceful as a butterfly and bad*ss as a hawk. They are incredibly versatile platforms, they offer the theoretical lowest drag (not in practice, but you have something to shoot for), and the are astoundingly, unbelievably durable. I have crashed mine high speed into asphalt several times with barely a scratch. (Put bamboo skewers in the nose LE). Once you try it, you never go back.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Falcon Mk.VI
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:19 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I tried it.... I was ashamed of myself. I went back
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFlyer85 View Post

Style points

Keep yer eyes open.

You haven't been paying attention, have you?

To chase kids and old ladies around and make them scream (the old ladies, that is). Duh.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
You're welcome.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:57 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I hate to admit it, but besides being outraged at seeing zagi pilots chasing dogs, children and whoever else might be enjoying a sunday walk in a park, I have.... on occassion.... gotten a chuckle out of it. It does clear out the park pretty quickly but inevitably the park police show up and the party is over.. permanently.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:07 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,564 Posts
Wings should be banned for being dangerous and loud. It's simple if you think about it.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀