HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, PA, Ellwood City
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Discussion
Here's what's great about this hobby (from a noob's perspective)

Aside from it being crazy fun and addictive as crack, obv.

I work in an environment where everything is as competitive as can be and secrets are guarded very closely. Nobody really wants to help anyone because of the "if I give you some then I have less" attitude. I understand that and it's what I do so it really doesn't bother me, it's just the way it is.

My recreation is doing a bit of gambling, and again, nobody has time to help you or share one of their precious secrets (as if they work anyway).

None of that is true in this hobby. Everyone on the board has been very helpful and I appreciate all the advice, especially considering you've all probably given the same advice a thousand times to different people. Even at the park flying people go out of their way to share what knowledge they have and lend whatever help they can. It almost seems as part of the fun for them. In so much that my son would rather fly at the park where he has to wait sometimes half an hour between turns than go to a field where he can fly nonstop by himself.

One guy at the field saw my son eyeing up his plane and insisted my son fly it. I protested saying he is still fairly new and the gentlemen said "I'm not worried, I've seen him fly" and handed him the controller. He leaned over and said if he wrecked it that I shouldn't worry because he wouldn't expect me to pay for it. While I know their are conflicting opinions on who should pay if a plane gets wrecked in that scenario I would absolutely pay for it if that happened, but I felt good that the guy offered that and was secure enough in my son's ability and responsibility that he trusted him with a $300+ airplane.

Great hobby and great people. I really hope my son sticks with this for a long time.
AtGame7 is offline Find More Posts by AtGame7
Last edited by AtGame7; Sep 22, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Yes unlike some other hobbies, people are ready to help among rc pilots.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
yeah, nice post... iv had a cessna for about 3 months now and im yet to fly it... i fear for its life hah, so i bought a micro stik by eRC. im just gonna keep learning on that till its dead.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
KJ4WFG
upstate SC
Joined Dec 2007
553 Posts
We all start as noob. It's fun to help newbies learn, maybe without making ALL the mistakes that we made. It's also humbling to teach a kid to fly and watch him blitz past the teacher in speed of learning. Happens all the time.
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:13 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,729 Posts
FWIW, my rule of thumb has always been that if I offer to let you fly one of my planes, I assume the responsibility. I wouldn't offer if I didn't feel the person could handle it. However, I understand how you feel. Very seldom will I fly someone else's plane because I would feel responsible if something happened.

As a senior, the hobby keeps your mind and reflexes active and keeps you engaged with people and technology. I only know one modeler that came down with Alzheimer and he had been inactive watching TV for the last 15 years. There may be no correlation there, but I like to think there is.

Welcome to this great hobby.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:03 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
[QUOTEAs a senior, the hobby keeps your mind and reflexes active and keeps you engaged with people and technology. I only know one modeler that came down with Alzheimer and he had been inactive watching TV for the last 15 years. There may be no correlation there, but I like to think there is][/QUOTE]

Yes, that's really true. We have several members of our little club, who flew Spitfires and served during WWII. So they are in their 90's now. They are building models, flying, and get a lot of fresh air. Because of the noise regulations, they have also converted to elcetric, and foam in their older days. They are really helpful, and have tons of experience.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtGame7 View Post
Aside from it being crazy fun and addictive as crack, obv.

I work in an environment where everything is as competitive as can be and secrets are guarded very closely. Nobody really wants to help anyone because of the "if I give you some then I have less" attitude. I understand that and it's what I do so it really doesn't bother me, it's just the way it is.

My recreation is doing a bit of gambling, and again, nobody has time to help you or share one of their precious secrets (as if they work anyway).

None of that is true in this hobby. Everyone on the board has been very helpful and I appreciate all the advice, especially considering you've all probably given the same advice a thousand times to different people. Even at the park flying people go out of their way to share what knowledge they have and lend whatever help they can. It almost seems as part of the fun for them. In so much that my son would rather fly at the park where he has to wait sometimes half an hour between turns than go to a field where he can fly nonstop by himself.

One guy at the field saw my son eyeing up his plane and insisted my son fly it. I protested saying he is still fairly new and the gentlemen said "I'm not worried, I've seen him fly" and handed him the controller. He leaned over and said if he wrecked it that I shouldn't worry because he wouldn't expect me to pay for it. While I know their are conflicting opinions on who should pay if a plane gets wrecked in that scenario I would absolutely pay for it if that happened, but I felt good that the guy offered that and was secure enough in my son's ability and responsibility that he trusted him with a $300+ airplane.

Great hobby and great people. I really hope my son sticks with this for a long time.
Welcome to the hobby. You'll find that there are plenty of competitive types involved, especially the "one-upsmanship" types. You know... "my plane is bigger, faster, better, more expensive, harder to fly, prettier, lighter, heavier, whatever...than yours." It happens in all hobbies. And there are snobs too, especially in some clubs. Some don't like electric, others don't like smaller sized planes, or gliders, or 2-strokes, racers, 4-strokes, non-scale... again, whatever.

But, there are plenty of other great folks who are happy to help out in lots of ways.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
In my experience, all the helpful people have been online so far, with the exception of one person. The last hobby shop I went to (NEVER again), all that guy did was look down his nose at my stuff, my knowledge, I'll spend my money elsewhere in the future. It seems around here (R.I.) everyone I've met IN PERSON so far has had the bigger/better/faster/expensive attitude, and frankly I'd rather just go to the soccer field with my Son and just fly there. But I do agree, it IS a pretty nice thing to get out and do with my Boy that tears him away from the Nintendo for a few hours...
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
902 Posts
You're right about the average RC flier being willing to help.

Even those who compete at high levels will often take time to answer questions that they would consider rudimentary. This really helps the sport.

There are still those who fly for prestige or being a part of a small group, but this is not the historic motivation of those who built the hobby. Enjoy, take notes, and fly whatever you want.
wuest3141 is online now Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
And that is EXACTLY what we do, with plenty more flights and flying days in store. And have an absolute blast doing it!!
matiac is online now Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:06 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I don't think flying RC delays the onset of Alzheimers disease but staying engaged and active never hurt anyone. My mother died of Alzheimers and she was only in her late 70's, she was very much engaged in all sorts of activities and hobbies. My father sat on the couch and watched TV and had no hobbies or activities. He lived til 90 and never had any dementia. His heart attacked him. If anyone should have got alzheimers, it should have been my dad, not my mom. Oh well, I certainly agree with the OP. This hobby has a lot of great people involved and most are willing and wanting to help noobs. (except flying wing pilots)
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic