SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Discussion
Losi 27mhz FM opinions on range problem

Got a Thunder Tiger ZT2, which is a mini 1/18 truck similar to the Mini-T.

The range is only about 20 metres. I am using nimh rechargeable AAs. I admit that 4 of the AAs are not fully charged but I am disappointed. I was hoping for Thunder Tiger electronics because my experience of Losi is that everything they make is infinitely inferior to anything else I have had.

I used to have a ZT2 a couple years ago and the range was out of sight so you can understand my disappointment.

Here is a piccy of the cool lil beasty;

Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
is the reciver integrated with the esc ?? or is it a seperate unit ??
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Separate unit, mate.

Don't actually know what the Losi electronics are, another dumb thing about Losi, to add to the list, is they don't put any identification on their stuff.

Or I will assume this at least for now. ;-) (If I am wrong, fine - but it just seems they are a bit not quite there at times. )
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I am guessing the ESC is from a Mini LST because it looks identical. I can take a photo. I would like to know. But ideally, I want the Thunder Tiger electrics back because swapping Thunder Tiger electrics for Losi electrics is like swapping your hand for a rubber glove.

Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
the 27 mhz fm is way better than the am but still verry glitchy if its a seperate unit look into one of the flysky 2.4 units they are like 22 usd from nitrorcx.com i have them in my crawlers and can crawl them out of sight with out issues .
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Thanks for the info Rcphreak. Yeah I noticed the glitching. Reason I got this truck is because it is like a 1/10, metal bevel gear diff and everything, built like a rock, I used to have one and nothing ever broke.

There is some corrosion on the transmitter battery springs, I am going to clean it off and charge the AAs but as you say, very twitchy, I can't imagine that I will be satisfied staying with the Losi stuff.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Just discovered the aerial had been cut off, and a length of wire has been re-attached, by twisting the wiring together. Surely solder would give a better connection?

I think it is a mini LST ESC because there are two loose motor wires from the missing motor. Would be interesting to see if I could put 3 cell on it, I noticed that trying to get the ESC hot on the 7.2v nimh was impossible - not even luke warm.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
oh yea and also dont use rechargeable batteries in this why ?? you asked well you just cut your voltage and at the same time siginal strength .
remember 1.2 x 8 = 9.6 v
and 1.5 x 8 = 12v big difference in power and range basicly with rechargeable fully charged is like 3 v less than alkaline .
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Very good point. I didn't think of it like that.

I've just soldered a new wire to the circuit board in the RX. So now it has a nice long, new aerial. I'll probably buy some good alkalines then, maybe energizer lithiums are best with this kind of antique technology but I don't want to bust it's guts.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
yes the energizer li are the best . let me know if is gets much better .as some state that it makes no difference but for my self it has to make a difference as less power should mean less range . any how let us know how it turns out .
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Ok Rcp' - thanks mate, I'll update this thread if I find improvement, don't know when I'll get the energizers yet but what I can tell you is that they last VERY long compared to normal alkaline. I used to use them on my helicopter and in my digicam. In my digicam, the battery signal never went down in strength, it always said "full". hey won't last forever but they are much better than normal.

I agree with your formula. less power = less range. That has always struck me as true.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Much better range after new aerial soldered and charged AA batteries.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:36 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
id be interested to see how much better when the 1.5 are used vs the 1.2 when ever you get around to it please post if any difference no rush as i know cash is tight and no need to fix what is not broken
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Haha - yeah, I will probably get AAs, I think your hypothesis should be correct, as the more voltage, the more reach.

I am going to try fitting a 400 size motor, as I have broken my stock one. I can't find anyone online who has tried I though, they kind of mention it in passing, as a suggestion but then say nothing about it as though it is a myth that it "might" work.

Either that or I will be forced to go with the 3 cell set up.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:16 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
i put an eflite BL 400 DF Outrunner 3500Kv ment for the eflight air liner in my 1/18 scale mini lst2 and it was super torky and fast and sounded realy nice . you may have to enlarge the pinion gear hole but is worth it .