3,681 Posts
Looks good Greg!! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Thanks Walt, its a fun build and its comming together nicely I am looking at the hinges. I used the Blenderm tape to save weight and to have the top of the wing smooth with no gap but I have tried twice and still cannot get a good tite hinge.I dont know if you have used it, it seems like good tape, very sticky and kind of rubbery. The LE of the ailerons are cut at a 45 so I only have a gap on the bottom. The wings are 3 layers of FFF so you know the thickness. I am thinking about other options just not sure what I want to do, any ideas?

Maybe I just need some practice with the tape
Lt599 is online now Find More Posts by Lt599
Last edited by Lt599; Sep 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:15 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
Cool!

Subscribed

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,247 Posts
Lt599,

Are you using the tape top and bottom? Once you put the tape on, I always run the edge of a ruler ove the tape. Kind of like scraping the tape down. It ensures full contact with the surface. Start in the middle and go to the edge each way outward. You can tell the difference, as the color changes shade slightly. Even after running your finger over it. And if you haven't, do both sides of the hinge.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:52 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg, I do NOT use the hinge tape on any of my planes. I use CA hinges with 5min epoxy. Unless it is a large plane I cut the hinge in half longways so that the hinge is about 3/8" wide, this is plenty large enough for most of our planes and gives less resistance. Good luck. W
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Ksqm, Thanks for the tip, yes I did tape both sides of the aileron. This is the first time I have tried tape on anything besides a single sheet wing so I dont have alot of experience with it.

Walt, Are you able to use your method on ailerons cut with a 45 degree angle on their LE or would I need to use the standard double taper with hinge line in the center? That is how I normally build my control surfaces but this time I tried with the 45. With the 45 Im not sure how I would be able to install the hinge along the top edge, because of the taper the foam gets pretty thin up along the top of the LE on the ailerons.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Greg,yes, that is how I do my control surfaces also, 45 not the standard V,, just use them close to the top. I never did like the tape, it looks cheap/terrible, doesn't take paint like the rest of the plane and is difficult to make work properly. W
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Greg,yes, that is how I do my control surfaces also, 45 not the standard V,, just use them close to the top. I never did like the tape, it looks cheap/terrible, doesn't take paint like the rest of the plane and is difficult to make work properly. W
Thanks Walt, I never cared for tape either. So just cut normal hinge slots (slits) toward the top and install with 5 min. epoxy. Sounds good will give it a go. Greg
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
I have most of the main airframe construction completed. I sure wish my HK order would get here......soon....maybe I am very pleased with how the build has gone so far. I have to give credit where credit is due. I got inspired following bamillers a10 build. The 50mm idea came from sloperjoe along with some stats and weight considerations. Waltjg has helped me sort out many things and is supportive as always. Scratchbuilding is great all on its own but sharing the hobby with all the enthusiastic people here on RCG really makes it fun
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
4.6ozs!!!!! oh man you got it nailed for sure, just keep thinking "lite lite lite" and you will have a killer flying plane! really coming along awesome!

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:40 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Man that is looking sweet!!! Glad you showed the Q Cells that is a great tip. I just ordered a couple of batteries from the US HK last night, now we will see how long it takes them to get here as this is the first time for mme ordering from the US warehouse. How do you keep that bench sooooo clean and that paper your working on so white!?!?!?! If I was there it would be a mess with sanding dust glue and be torn in several places too!!!! I see that F18 setting there, man, I need to do another one! W
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,068 Posts
HK U.S warehouse ships to me (denver) in 3-4 buisness days

New batts, new project?
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Dont let the pics decieve you, I stop every once in awhile to clean, have too, shop gets a little small if I dont. The white are 2 of those heavy shelving boards I picked up at HD so I would have a flat smooth surface when needed. The bench underneath is trashed! paint, glue,cuts,drill marks, you name it
The Q cells I ordered from US composites when I ordered some of thier 3-1 epoxy finishing resin. They have great prices on composite supplies. It is a great filler. I finished the repairs on the F18, gonna go fly it later. So whats the batts for ??? Greg
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
On the batteries,, I ordered a 1300 and a 1600ma,, I'm pitting together a glider and put a motor on the nose, folding prop too (still in process). It will be my night flier with lights.. Haven't done that yet and want to try it, looks fun, and I'm sure they will be flying at night at HHAEFI when I go up for that. W
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
674 Posts
Night flying, that would be cool. I have seen some on the internet where they use nav lights for orientation, A glider would be good, stable and slow. My fans arrived today, they shipped out on the 21st so 5-6 days, cant complain about that. Spent the day flying with a buddy of mine, multiple planes and one chopper, everything stayed shiny side up I go on shift tomorrow for my 48 then I can get back to the A10, Im excited to try these little fans. What is HHAEFI?